2005 Ford E150 Problems - 4.6L Engine

Scotty810

PR Addict
My moto van has been acting up. It won't idle properly and quits most of the time I approach intersections and the engine drops to idle. Here is some background.

- Replaced headlight switch the day this behavior started. Disconnected battery during this process and I think that resets the memory for the computer. Some research has led me to believe this may be the issue. I guess sludge builds up in the throttle body and now that the computer has been set, it needs to know there is sludge present?

- Battery, alternator checked at Autozone and said to be OK

- Cleaned mass air flow sensor

- I am currently cleaning the throttle body, replacing the throttle position sensor, and putting back together tomorrow

Any ideas?

Are you getting a check engine light? I had a van with the 5.4l and I needed to replace one coil on plug. It was acting similar to yours. The check engine light read-out may direct to the bad plug.

No check engine light.

Fixed the problem though. Cleaning the throttle body did the trick.

When I replaced my headlight switch, I disconnected the battery for several hours. This reset the computer. When I went to start it up again, the computer was "expecting" a new and clean engine to be running (defaults back to original factory setting). Since the throttle body had some gunk built up inside, the computer got confused and wouldn't allow the van to idle properly. So, I pulled off the throttle body and cleaned the daylights out of it with throttle body cleaner (even though Ford says not to??). I left it sit overnight with the battery disconnected to erase the computer again. Next day, I did the "reprogramming" process.....start and let idle until full temp is reached. Then hold at 1200 RPM for 2 minutes. Finally, drive around combination of city and highway driving for 20 minutes or so.

That fixed it!

Ford wants you to take it to a dealer. They dont want you fixing the thing its. It's for bad for business.

Actually, They want you to buy a new one!!!

Just had the same thing happen on my '05 F150 with a 5.4L ......easy to take off the throttle body and clean it for less than $10 in a can of mass-air flow sensor and 1 can of throttle body cleaner....all is well.....It was black and sooty after 85K on the engine. Every time you shut off your vehicle, the crappy, alcohol tainted and un-burnt fuel is getting on the butterfly valve and goo-ing up the works.

BTW - Ford wants 500-800 to replace it....

Wow that is hard to believe. I saw some brand new or nearly new for $160-$180 online. Add a $2 gasket and it's a simple fix to completely replace it.

Does the EGR valve have anything to do with the throttle getting gummed up? I think thats the contraption next to the throttle. It looks like it brings exhaust air or something in just downstream of the throttle. Seemed like there was carbon on my throttle and I was surprised to see that.

Back