Old bike question

streaks383

PR Addict
I am selling a 2004 YZ-85 very mint. I had contact with someone who wanted to trade me an 85 RM-125. He says it is very clean. So what is it worth? Where could I race it and what class? CRA Bomber I know but does ARHMA have a class for it?

Photo-0068.jpg

Photo-0067.jpg

Aside from ugly black fenders, random stickers, dinged pipe, worn tires does anyone see obvious flaws? The seat looks strange to me, I cant put my finger on it though. Is it the rear fender? is it the wrong one for the bike?

rear fender looks very wrong for that bike,I'm no RM expert but that looks wrong,bike looks to be in very good shape otherwise,I think ahrma has a class for the disc brake bikes now but you should check their site for more info

Rear fender and seat are wrong. Fender I believe is a "universal" type fender from UFO. Seat is from 86-88 model that had a different frame and rear suspension.

This is what a 1985 RM125 looks like stock:
1985_RM125_yell_side_450.jpg

It's tough to really judge value just going off a picture. If the bike has not had a bunch of hands turning wrenches on it that is a good thing. It looks pretty decent though, I would guess in the $600 range?

AHRMA has a support class that allows front disc, and AMA Vintage Days also has one. There isn't a huge market for buying these bikes though so I wouldn't suggest trading if you just wanted to resell.

I wouldn't swap the YZ for that particular RM unless they throw 500 bones + into the pot. I'd also check to see what's under that seat to make sure somebody didn't do any frame mods to accomodate the wrong seat, and Honda rear fender. If I were going to get an old bike, I'd look for one that a competent person already restored. I can see having to put another $1500 into that RM that would only be worth $1500 in restored condition. It's be like giving the YZ away. --L*64

I wouldn't swap the YZ for that particular RM unless they throw 500 bones + into the pot. I'd also check to see what's under that seat to make sure somebody didn't do any frame mods to accomodate the wrong seat, and Honda rear fender. If I were going to get an old bike, I'd look for one that a competent person already restored. I can see having to put another $1500 into that RM that would only be worth $1500 in restored condition. It's be like giving the YZ away. --L*64

I'd agree with Luckystar. With the bike having a rigged up seat and fender, funky stickers, and running bare forks with no wipers or boots...it's hard telling what kind of other funky stuff is going on with that thing. For me, it'd be a hard sell at 500.00.

I also was thinking about buying this 1985 cr125. The guy selling it wanted $700 for it and a 1994 cr 125 with a cracked left case. I obviously dont need the 94' to sit in my garage.. and he said he'd take $500 for the 85'. Is this a deal? It started first kick this evening when I went to look at it. Also, Is there a way to find out if the magnesium water pump cover has been damaged from the coolant with out taking it off?
386343_947433314272_39105960_40021618_357130353_n.jpg

Thanks for the input guys. I told him I probably wasn't interested but I would look into it a little bit first. Now I definitely am not.

I dunno-- ya may have a deal with that '85 CR. It looks pretty nice. Hell-- for another 200 bones, I'd take the '94 as well. You can find the parts on Ebay to spit shine the 'ol '94 right up. That '85 would be a strong competitor in the above mentioned vintage races. I don't believe they had magnesium engine covers in 1985. I think that was a 1983 problem only. You should be able to get $1000 for the YZ85 on Craigslist if it's as nice as you say.

If you have an interest in vintage then grab 'em up. If you're just looking to get a bike to ride-- you can do alot better. Pit has a '92 RM125 in boxes that I know he'd sell ya for what he has in it. Probably around the same as the '85 CR. Suzuki is a ton better for parts availability than Honda. I'd say that Honda is actually the worst in that respect. You can get a decent 125 from the last ten years for around $1000. Then figure on another $500 in chain, sprockets, tires, fluids, top end, etc... good luck, and watch craigslist. --L*64

I think they DID have mag covers in '85. No easy way to tell unless it's eaten all the way through and mixing with oil.

I think I'm going to get that CR. I'm curious as to which tracks offer a bomber class.. And if a lot of them do? Does Summit Indoors? Ha.

Also I was wondering what specific class the bike could race in at mid Ohio? ..I've almost got my dad convinced to race it :)

Thank you!

I think they DID have mag covers in '85. No easy way to tell unless it's eaten all the way through and mixing with oil.

If I pull the cover, what sort of damage would I be looking for? (a lot of this is new to me)

Back