Good article over on racer x

I agree with you on that, I hit a grown man on the downside of Fasttraxx's triple back in 08 or 09, he was using the downside of the double as a lookoutpost to find his son(which i hadn't realized i figured he would be off the landing by the time i got there, not just sitting there), then he started to move into my path and i couldn't do anything mid air, ended up trashing my rotor and putting a hole in my radiator because of it. His kid almost got hit on the downside of the triple doing almost the same thing later on that day.

Its very true, the downside is that it is hard to inform someone of something like this. Many people take things personal especially mini moms and dads. But he hit the nail on the head when he stated I would rather offend a parent than watch a kid get killed. Personally I think split practices can avoid this completely. You should never ever have 50's and 65's on the track with big bikes and 85's probably should not either. There are exceptions of course like the 85 kids who scrub so hard they can pass me in mid-air over a triple. Big bikes can be a hazard too, I am a big advocate in running practices for 1) pee-wees, 2)65s, 3)85's, 4)C riders and 5)B/A riders. I know this can cost people some track time but I prefer safe to sorry. Having a pee-wee track is a huge plus because it eases congestion, you can run pee-wees, trail bikes and even 65's. Rules don't have to be concrete either, you can make exceptions to let certain 65's run with 85's and certain 85's to run with the big bikes. I am a C rider but I often practice with B riders because they typically don't want to kill you or to "practice block passes".

I have seen many many adults that need to learn Professor Bailey's 1-7. I have often kicked around a track etiquette day, to teach rookies the proper conduct to keep them safer.

DO IT!

Sounds like good material for rider meetings. May be a good idea to also have a practice day riders meetings but guess that would be hard to do with the nature of people coming in & out at various times on open practice days.

No one wants to sit around & wait their turn but split practices are the only safe choice. When my daughter was younger that was the only way I would let her onto the big tracks.

During open practices I always tried to look ahead to see what was in front of me in hopes of avoiding any surprises on blind areas.

Buckeye Hills Mx Agrees

This is the reason we run timed practice sessions A/B only, Vets, C , 85's/ 65 . We have flaggers in place and will always have a organized practice session. see you next sesaon!!!!!!!!!!!

Back