Does money really make you a champion?????

#23_Racing

PR Addict
Man just looked at some of the "champions" crowned in this years CRA series. It looks to me if you have the money you can win one of these championship, but does it make you a "Champion"? I see riders racing 2-3 races even more in a weekend not even placing in the top 3 of most and still are considered champions at the end of the year.

It's always been like that. I remember plenty of guys in district 12 who would be the champion of the class. They just showed up to every single race.

That's the reason I ended up with a 3rd in Womens a few years ago. I raced just about every weekend with my own money, yet some others' mommies and daddies paid for them to race twice a week or whatever. I could easily beat them, especially if they ventured outside their home tracks that just happened to race every weekend (and usually against themselves). I'll never waste my time again.

If you don't have money or you don't know somebody you will probably not go far. (Well you won't go far if you don't have a bike either, but same difference, it takes money, and lots of it.)

If the MX series in CRA was more like the HS series, it would be much easier to have a chance at the series. Once a weekend with occasional 2-day event. Plus the turnouts could be better.... FT, HS, GP, MX.....with 5 MX events in one week during fair season. Should make the faircross a separate points paying series as well...

In a broader sense of the word "champion" I personally think money helps most definitely. With money you can keep your bikes running, make races every weekend or few weekends to further your competition skills, and afford to travel and attend big amateur nationals. With that said, all the money in the world can't instill work ethic or natural talent in anyone.

A prime example that comes to mind, and if he reads these boards still hope you don't mind me dropping a story, of a kid named TJ Yackey about 7 years ago.

We were at the Red Bud Regionals for Lorettas in 250C. He was parked out in the A lot, some utility truck pulling an open trailer, sleeping beside it in sleeping bags at night. His bike was clapped out, I remember vividly the clutch lever was real bent when he lined up next to me. To top if off, if I remember correctly he was running 4th or so with a qualifying spot to Lorettas before something happened. Kid had lots of speed to work with for sure.

On the flip side, I've seen the exact opposite too like we all have and it always makes me laugh. The C class gooners with brand new bikes and gear every year, and they just go nowhere with racing. If they love it, more power to 'em I suppose.

After 33 years of MX racing & 40 years of riding dirt bikes my 2 cents......

Race for:

1. Fun 90%

2. To Win 9%

3. Titles 1%

Guess I don't have a beef with someone who has the time & money or nice equipment as I have been on both ends with both ragged & primo bikes
showing up in things ranging from $250 beaters with bumper carriers, open trailers, enclosed trailer, motor home & now a toy hauler.

Back in 2008 I won a AHRMA National championship.....Yes I raced enough to win, traveled to 7 states & over 4,500 miles.
3 years later what do I remember.......having a good time!

If you want something that sucks real bad I have pretty much been sidelined for about 2-1/2 years due to a back injury from a auto accident.
I can ride smooth grass tracks but rough tracks, jumps & whoops are out.

Point is have fun as most people don't remember who won last week never mind last season so keep it fun!

Maico Mark

Goes without saying "just have fun". Impossible not to have fun, and sure it goes both ways.
BUT!
Quote from original post "I see riders racing 2-3 races even more in a weekend not even placing in the top 3 of most and still are considered champions at the end of the year."

I think this is just a point that is very similar to the District 11 fair series argument.
The point is, its Just dis-heartening for the guy or gal who gets beat out by quantity rather than quality.

For the C class Goons with all the goods comment. Lets be polite on here please. It's all good! If you aren't fast on the bike, its OK to look fast beside your bike back at the motor home.... Gotta let em have something...
OK that was mean sorry. we were all goons at one time or another.

I sent a letter to the CRA which basically suggested the following:
1. If you have 6 tracks, have 24 races that count for the points title, with the top 20 finishes counting (you get 4 throwaways. Debatable), In order to be considered, a rider must race all 24 events (4 at each track). Currently 35 races count, and no track specification.
2. Have a CRA State Championship consisting of 12 races (2 at each track).
3. Indoor and faircross races not to count for points series but are separate series themselves.
4. Tracks should be grouped according to location. Do not have Pyma on Friday, Malvern on Saturday, then TV Land on Sunday. TV and Pyma need to be together as does Malvern and Lightning.
Tracks like TV Land, Big Game and Lightning that only run a handful of races would have a chance at 6 races where turnouts should be bigger. After the 6 races, Sunoco series, individual track points count for any other races a track runs.

@scate: Somones mommy and daddy will always have more money than the average racer. The perks of cash help out.
Remeber there is someone in the world right now spending boat loads of cash and has never worked a day in their life. Kim kardashian. . . It's life and money doesn't hinder your ability to have fun unless winning is the only kind of fun you get out of motocross.

I don't see anything wrong with someone's parents paying for all their riding or fully supporting their Mx career Some are just more fortunate than others and that's just how life is. Plus it seems like if you want to be a pro or serious rider someone has to support you.

With the cra I know what you mean though. If someone did every race you pretty much guaranteed a good standing in the points. Either way a win is a win no matter how it's coming and I guess you just have to have the satisfaction knowing your a better rider if you are a person that can't make every race. Just remember its the cra not AMA so who cares.

I chased points once in the CRA, it blew, now I race because I am a racer and I love to race. I have way more fun just doing races based on fun factor. Next year I will hit some MXs, a couple night races (if chillitown pulls the trigger), some hare scrambles, some GP's, a fair race, maybe some indoors even planning on doing the AMA Hill Climb down in Oregonia, OH. The only time I enjoyed chasing points was in Hawaii, 1 race a month all year, same track but they changed it for each race and no one was allowed to ride it before the race.

I don't see anything wrong with someone's parents paying for all their riding or fully supporting their Mx career Some are just more fortunate than others and that's just how life is. Plus it seems like if you want to be a pro or serious rider someone has to support you.
For sure. No way you can do it alone. Nothing wrong with spending cash if you got it. Serious racers need serious cash. People like me who race for fun buy used 2 smokes and hit up local races and practices. And splurge a bit with some qualifiers and regionals. And at the end of the day I know I paid for it and had a blast doing it.

If you are after a Championship then the only one that really matters is the top level. I'm thinking that the CRA is not going to change this. Simply, it would change the tracks ability to make money and profit. Start messing with that and you'll lose tracks. Right or wrong money is key in this sport at so many levels.
Having had the sponsorship of my parents growing up I can say don't knock a kid just because as you put it "mommy and daddy" are involved with their children and have the best resource of money. Now I had my family help, but still went to the races with that old boat trailer with dad's Maico and my mini on it. We'd always look in awe at some of those primo rides and guys with new flashy gear, but we raced as often as we could and still had fun doing it.
If championships are in your reach you need to be working toward the AMA ships. Get fast get noticed. Knock down doors talk to industry types at all levels and get help where you can. It takes money what else can we say?

Like Chad Reed says --- "you gotta be in it, to win it!"

If anyone out there is attempting to get a year-end championship in local racing, you must allot the time to attend a ton of races. If you don't want to attend all those races, then shoot to win the shorter series like the CRA Sunoco Series.

Back when I was racing alot in 2002-2005 there was a couple kids I raced against I wont name names, but my dad and I would pull up in the F-150 with the bike in the back, these kids pulled up in there HUGE rig, with golf carts and works etc.. I smoked them every week, but because mommy and daddy could pay for everything for them they beat me in points.. Dont get me wrong, my dad bought my bike for me and gear ( i was only 14-16 years old ) but I did mow ALOT of grass to pay for my races. . Its sad, but this sport is run by money, but there is NOTHING better then seeing a guy pull up in a beat down pick up truck, enter the A class and smoke all the big money racers.

This is a yes and no question. You cannot buy skill and character, but in some race classes, you can buy enough trick equipment and modifications that skill character are of minimal necessity, and better skilled racers of good character are often competing unsuccesfully against lessor racers' purses.

I think in this era now there are several sports that require larger investments then I've ever experienced. I mean look at hockey or soccer and sometimes other sports that have club teams. You pay to try out then pay more when you make it. Then there are the local clubs and travel clubs and national. It all takes an investment from someone. The parent is the first potential investor. We all, well at least those with kids know that we would invest in our children if we have the means to do so. I can't knock the kid with less talent, but mom and dads larger bank account for using what's available to him. Now if they act like spoiled rich kids then by all means be annoyed lol.
Pit- great chad reed philosophical quote! I want to know what he was saying as his bike swapped heading off the face of that jump in the outdoors... lol

Back when I was racing alot in 2002-2005 there was a couple kids I raced against I wont name names, but my dad and I would pull up in the F-150 with the bike in the back, these kids pulled up in there HUGE rig, with golf carts and works etc.. I smoked them every week, but because mommy and daddy could pay for everything for them they beat me in points.. Dont get me wrong, my dad bought my bike for me and gear ( i was only 14-16 years old ) but I did mow ALOT of grass to pay for my races. . Its sad, but this sport is run by money, but there is NOTHING better then seeing a guy pull up in a beat down pick up truck, enter the A class and smoke all the big money racers.
The country is run by money. That's life. Politicians pull for their biggest campaign contributor not you and me. Atleas though you got to experience it early in life. So you're a step ahead of most. Lol

Back