Spark Plug Cleaner?

this is the method I use: 1. take a lighter and burn the heck outta the tip of the plug 2. use a wire brush on it right afterwards 3. REPEAT

Pit.....Like me, you are a jetting guru. You arent happy until the bike is jetted to a T. Screw the cleaner and spend 7 bucks on Karri !

Pit where are you purchasing plugs from, a motorcycle shop? I recently was working on a friends Honda CBR 1000 and was at the dealer to get a clutch cover gasket and asked about spark plugs as well. They wanted $48 each and I needed 4, I just drove to advance auto and ordered the exact same plugs for $7.29. They did have to order them but I have them the next morning.

The modern RM125's use a special NGK plug that I've never seen used on other MX bikes and the best deal I've found on them (even from places hooking me up) is about $20-25.

pit, I have one similar to one pictured.. works like a mini sand blaster. Just make sure you get alll the grit off before putting back in bike..

I used to use a cleaner all the time and they work well. Now that I know how to jet the bike correctly...I buy a new plug once e a year just for good measure (and keep the old one as spare) and never need one.
You know when they are running rich...so it shouldn't be an issue.

Had an older RM 125. Same deal $40 (special) spark plug! MY A$$, cross reference that or just use the same plug as any other 2 smoker IE. BR8, or BR9
May want to have hotter or colder plug, depending on conditions, but there is nothing magical in that motor requiring a $40 special plug.
I ran BR8, $4.95ea, only issue I had was what to do with the extra CASH I saved.

OH! and that plug cleaner would be nice to have around. You can gas foul a brand new plug on the first try if you flood the bike, that would easily pay for itself I would think.

I used to run the br8es in my 03 rm 125.... i think i read that the special plug for rm was because they had breaking problems on the end of the plug from vibration... never had any problems with my bikes...just used to change the plug every couple rides.

Spark plugs quit working when the white ceramic insulator around the tip gets coated with semiconductor residue and the electricity travels acroos it instead of jumping the air gap. You cant wire brush the insualtor clean. I got one of those sandblaster gun that connects to the end of your air hose (about $20), and you fill the gun with sand. A bag of play sand cost me about $6 and lasts for years. I have cleaned hundreds of plugs and havent bought a plug in years. I have some plugs that I know to be over 15 years old. I've re-cleaned just about every plug known for 2 stroke and 4 stroke. people like to say "its only $5 for a plug" but when you are jetting a bike, or having other issues where you can go through half a dozen in a day, you can save a fortune. These same people who say "its only $5" have no problem swapping their new fouled plug to me for a re-clean because they used their last one. Its also a lot less plainful to frequently change your plug "just because" to prevent issues from idling too long at the start gate, or putting through the pits or whatever. Its convenient knowing you always have a cannister of fresh plugs in any size and type.

Im a big fan if re-cleaning plugs, have seen no problems as a result, and can say with certainty that a re-cleaned plug has the same life a brand new one. The only good thing about people who throw away fouled plugs after a single use is thanks for creating my huge stock.

Hey PitRacer,

I've had one of the abrasive sand blaster type ones forever. On plugs that aren't too bad, they do a way better job than the lighter/contact cleaner/wirebrush method. But. They are never as good as new ones, at least not if your modern two stroke fouled it. If your just doing maintainence, do it. If it's for a fouled plug and if it fails again you can walk back to the truck, do it. If you'll be in the middle of a sand wash in SE Utah, go with new.

Back