2012 AMA Professional Motocross Schedule Announced by MX Sports

RocketRobin

PR Founding Father
This just in from Racer X:

2012 Lucas Oil AMA Pro Motocross Championship Schedule
May 19 Hangtown Motocross Classic* Sacramento, Calif.
May 26 Freestone Raceway* Wortham, Texas
June 2 Thunder Valley Motocross* Lakewood, Colo.
June 9 High Point Raceway Mt. Morris, Pa.
June 16 Budds Creek Motocross Mechanicsville, Md.
July 7 RedBud* Buchanan, Mich.
July 14 Spring Creek Motocross* Millville, Minn.
July 21 Washougal MX Park Washougal, Wash.
August 11 Moto-X 338* Southwick, Mass.
August 18 Unadilla New Berlin, N.Y.
September 1 Steel City Raceway* Delmont, Pa.
September 8 TBA* Southern Calif.

*WMX Events

I guess that puts to bed all of the chatter about a "new southeastern" stop on the MX circuit this year with one of the old tracks losing it's race. High Point and Steel City are both back again for at least another year. Red Bud still over the 4th of July Weekend.

What does not make sense to me is running from the west coast to start, and then working your way east only to head back out to Washougal and then have to come all the way across the country again to hit Southwick... To make it more travel friendly to all the teams.... move Washougal to the the opening part of the series when everyone is out West already and then stay east until the Finale (which Pala only had for 2 years and now is off the schedule). I'm not up on my SoCal race scene so I can't even suppose what new track (or old in the case of Glen Helen) is going to be the home for the season Finale this year. Pala seemed to work well for people, but maybe Glen Helen is coming back after not doing so hot with the USGP for the past 2 years and will be the finale this year.

But this should be a good series if all the riders can make it healthy to it this year!

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/32881543?byline=0&color=ff9933" width="400" height="225" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen="" mozallowfullscreen="" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Looks like a horse racing facility in Kentucky!!!! If MX tracks start looking like that in order to host a national, the crowd will have people like the Kardashians buying loges and preferred seating areas.....

Anyway, looks cool and we'll have to head out there to race a Vet race there sometime on our next California trip.

That might be the effort that it will take to get this sport the national recognition it deserves. You can sell to corporate america with a venue like that.

Looks like someone is preparing for a national. Thats only way you start to pay down an investment like that. Better hope they get more years than Pala did, or they will be belly up by 2014. Makes me feel like a chump.

Regarding Troy, one of the biggest issues AMA (Duke Finch in particular) had with our facility was "flat land". Now the series goes to Texas (flat) and maybe Lake Elsinore (really flat). Hi, left hand, hi right hand, have you two met?

LE might be a good site, easy access driving. I wonder what the city of LE would think about having 25-30k people roll through their town in a weekend. It could be billed (flat-billed?) as a SoCal Bro Parade. Last I rode there (2001), it was flat, good dirt and zero natural shade.

The current landowner in Troy wants nothing to do with the sport. Half the facility was torn down late 04 / early 05. The rest mother nature has reclaimed. Gozar has proof from one of his Photobucket albums from three or so years ago (first 4 pics): http://s643.photobucket.com/albums/uu153/gozar56/fultons woods/

Pretty cool. I like Marc Peters style of track building, reminds of someone else I know. Very similar process, all locked up in his head.

I believe the biggest problem with Kenworthy's was that it was in a flood plain and a large rain storm could render the entire racing facility under water (which happened twice in the same season and sealed their fate). As far as I know, the riders liked Kenworthy's as a location to race, and there were many positive things that went along with the National in Ohio..... but when you are looking to grow your sport beyond the regular fans into the mainstream..... you can't have a professional event that gets cancelled by a storm. The TV contracts and everything else is set up around that DATE / Time.

So "FLAT" may have been the term, but "FLOOD" is what took Kenworthy's out of the rotation.

Agreed Robin, flooding didn't help. Current TV logistics would have been a no-go. Ultimately, though KW's demise was due to a personality conflict.

Back