A completed project!

Zman

PR Addict
Finally finished this project I got 1 1/2 year ago. 1982 YZ490J. I'm not a big bore rider and am gonig to sell and stick with my 1983 YZ125K. Fun project, but a little slower than some of my past Zman factory built restorations.

Pic of the day I picked it up.
attachment.php

Completed today 12-1

attachment.php

and

attachment.php

Think I'm gonna take some time off this winter and just Snoscoot, ride at Rays, and finish the 1970 QA50 that I started to restore close to 10 years ago.

1970 QA 50.......funny you have one in your garage to restore. I have had one in a few pieces in my garage for probably 12 years! Maybe I need to get off my butt and finally put that thing back together. Or maybe you want to buy it from me as it sits! Great job on the YZ.

Looks great! I don't like big BOARS either, but it looks sweet. I'm partial to YZ's of that era as well. --L*64

I had that same bike along with an '83 back quite a while ago...the shock blew out on the '82 beast...twice.. Funny story, I let a friend ride it at Smith Rd. and he somehow lost the kickstarter off it....I found it almost 2 months later when I crashed by a tree....someone apparently saw it and propped it up on some obscure tree towards the back of the track.

Get some number plate backgrounds on it Z-man....

Does it run forward or backwards now?

Looks great.

Haha, yeah all is good...had the wrong flywheel on it! Advanced the timing so bad, made the motor run backwards. All is good now and she is a beast, like ur RM465.

I saw it on CL-- it should sell fairly quickly. I wish I hadn't gone limp on that old 125 you had last year. This is kinda off topic-- but I swear that I've seen somebody that had a dirt bike that would run backwards if you push started it that way. I saw the guy with the front brake on spinning the tire in reverse. It was so funny to see. In reality, how does an engine know which direction to crank? Timing? ---L*64

I saw it on CL-- it should sell fairly quickly. I wish I hadn't gone limp on that old 125 you had last year. This is kinda off topic-- but I swear that I've seen somebody that had a dirt bike that would run backwards if you push started it that way. I saw the guy with the front brake on spinning the tire in reverse. It was so funny to see. In reality, how does an engine know which direction to crank? Timing? ---L*64

Not exactly sure, but I know if it is not timed correct, it will with out a doubt, run backwards. When my 490 did it, the kickstarter idler gear grabbed the kick starter kickstart shaft gear and forced the kickstarter through the side cover. Then the kickstarter broke free from the kick start boss and lauched the kickstarter arm down my driveway like it was shot out of a cannon. Flew about knee to waste high and missed the windshield of my van by a foot. Got lucky.

I have heard stories of guys hill climbing these 490's and come to a stop on the hill and roll backwards and that has started the motors running backwards. Not sure if that is true nor will I ever find out.

"Then the kickstarter broke free from the kick start boss and lauched the kickstarter arm down my driveway like it was shot out of a cannon. Flew about knee to waste high and missed the windshield of my van by a foot."

Hahahahaha! I'd have been insane mad over that!

Bike sold on ebay. Going to a new home in LA along with all the spare parts I had. Down to old faithful, my 83 YZ125K. At one point I had an IT200, 2 83 YZ125's, then another 83 YZ125, and 83 YZ250, and this 1982 YZ490. Hard to believe I had 5 PV bikes in the garage at one time. Well, they say history repeats itself...maybe when i retire!

Well, it's time to get Mitchy down to less than 5 bikes too! You might have room for two old Yamaha Trials bikes now.... one for you and one for me to ride once a year at Mid Ohio Vintage Days....

I have a harder time believing you jam 3 sno-scoots in there with all the rest of that stuff.

Yeah we are down on bikes, and now all kinds of room for those 3 Scoots. Now, if we could just get some snow. Mitchy is down to 3 and soon to be 2. Selling is other RM65. No need for 2 of those. To think I will be down to 5 bikes between him and I. Incredible! No more vintage. I have my only vintage bike, my YZ125.

So you could actually push start any stroker to run in reverse? Could you imagine how hard you'd crash from trying to ride a 250 two stroke in reverse, and on the pipe? hahaha! --L*64

I stalled my 1980 CR250 in a hare scramble one day and was trying to restart it when it backfired, hiccupped and continued to run. I reved it up dumped the clutch and had the bike take off in reverse! The bars hit me in the chest and I nearly went down. I thought it sounded funny when it started but didn't think of it until it took off backwards.

Sounds like a good April fools joke to get somebody with.

Hey practice a start on this thing. Let me know what you think. ..

Back