Bike question crf150f forks

#23_Racing

PR Addict
I have a 2001 crf150f that needs a set of front forks the stock ones are bent. Im having a hard time finding stock forks but Im woundering if I can make other forks work with very little mods if so what ones would work?

Christina Scates who comes on here used to change her forks on her trail bikes. I think she would use cr 85 forks but don't know if she had to change triple clamps. I'll try to get ahold of her.

Naw-- the CR85/150R swap isn't a bolt on affair. A set of 230F forks will work also, but are about an inch longer. You only need the chrome sliders I'm assuming. Put a post up on Thumpertalk in the CRF150F/230F section, that you're looking for a set of fork legs for a 150F. I guarantee that somebody has a set sitting around that they'd sell you off of a conversion bike.

BTW-- the bike has got to be 2003 or newer. They never made a 150F before 2003. Good luck, and I'll keep an eye out for ya. --L*64

There are two sets on Ebay right now. One is $350-- too much. The other set is $225. I'd sell ya a set off of one of my own bikes for $200. I'd then do a 150R conversion (about $750) which I was planning on doing at some point anyway. ---L*64

It's a 150F Tony. Now that I looked at some of her pictures she put newer forks on her Yamaha trail bike. Parma Dave I believe did all the work. Just talked to her. Her brother had the crf150f with the upgraded forks. She said it was a kit. Sorry Scott I know this is no help but I knew I've seen the upgrade on the crf150f.

The Yamaha yz85 front end could bolt onto the ttr125. For my brother's crf150f I believe there was a kit we had to buy, with the correct cables etc, I don't remember if we had to send the forks out. My best guess is that it was BBR that had the kit. I don't have much more info at the moment, I can ask my mom.

I do recommend switching from stock trailbike forks to the 85cc style forks. They made such of an improvement, with both my ttr and my brother's 150f. Even if your son will be moving up to a big bike, it still makes for a much better pitbike.
--------
Ok, from BBR website:

Will the CR80/85 forks fit my CRF150F?
Yes, actually they will bolt right on. They do require that you modify the frame steering stopper to correctly limit the turning of the bars. You will need the complete front end (forks, triple clamps, wheel, brakes, etc). This will be really expensive if you try to do this with over the counter parts from your local Honda dealer (figure at least $3000). Your best bet is to try to purchase a wrecked bike to rob parts from. We do not offer this as a service and have no forks available (please don't ask).

www.regerengineering.com was on a thumpertalk thread regarding this, Their logo looks familiar to me, this might have been what we used.

Thanks guys I will have have to look for old cr85 parts now, My younger son is stuck right now he is 12 and to big for 85s and a 150 but yet dont have enough seat time for a big bike darn kid is 5ft 8in and about 190lb. He loves his 150f but he is killing it. Thanks again for the info.

Guys, Guys, Guys... Believe me-- a CR85 front end is NOT a bolt up affair on the 150F. You need to get Reger Engineering to do some machining to the 85 tree, then press the stem out about a quarter inch to get it on the 150F. Then you have the issue of a steering stop. The setup Reger uses is hokey as all getup. To do it correctly, you'd need to weld a stop to the 150F frame. As far as the key switch goes, it can be unplugged completely and isn't necessary. You'll have a great time trying to get somebody at Reger to answer the telly. The guy works out of his garage and is nearly impossible to get ahold of.

You'll need to get the entire 85 front end including the wheel and brakes. That is usually a $4-500 item on Ebay. Then you've got to remember that a 150F weighs 100 lbs. more than a CR85. In order to match the new front to the rear spring rate of 9.0-- you'll need to get a set of .44 Race Tech or Cannon Racecraft springs at $109 + shipping. Wait! You're not finished yet... You'll need to get the forks revalved to handle the rebound of the stiffer springs.

Done now? Nope-- the 150F has about 10.5 inches of ground clearance, The CR85 forks have 10.8 inches of travel... you know what that means? When you bottom the forks, you'll be bottoming the engine cases on the ground as well. You'll need to have bigger bump stops installed in the 85/150R forks to limit the travel to 10 inches or less (the rear only has 9 inches of travel), unless you want to have Parma Dave fixing flattened out frame cradle tubes.

I've been racing a 150F in the pit bike races for a couple years now, and I can assure you the best and easiest way to improve the bike would be to put the correct forks that belong on the bike, back on the bike-- and get the correct spring rates. Then, have John Hlebo (Hlebo Bros. Suspension) revalve both the forks and shock for about $350 shipped. It will work as well as a 150F can work w/o going with an aftermarket shock and 85/150R forks. Even if you do properly upgrade the front, the stock shock still stinks big time on that bike. If ya want to PM me-- I can help ya with it-- I know those 150's inside and out. You can even come ride mine around to see how the Hlebo setup feels before you spend the money. --L*64

Attachments

• 64-4-L.jpg
    64-4-L.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 864
  • Tony2.jpg
    Tony2.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 555
Did you read what Christina wrote? She said it was a kit that they bought!! It's been done, her family did it!!

Dan-- I know it's been done, but the Reger kit is more than 1800 bones. If they're going to do the swap-- I'd get the parts off Ebay, and have Reger do the machining on the lower tree. I think they can actually use the stock 150F front wheel and brakes, but it requires Reger to do some additional work.

Here's a pic of my buddy's 150F with the full Reger kit. If you look at it closely, it actually has the stock 150F front wheel and brakes. This may even be THE bike that you guys are talking about. It started out in Medina, got sold to a flatttrack kid in Michigan-- then we went back up there and bought it back. Now it's right back in Medina.

Attachments

• IMAG0801.jpg
    IMAG0801.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 1,940
IDK-- the 150F motor is heads and shoulders above the DRZ/KLX125, the TTR, and the KLX140. I'd work with that. It's heavier than a 450 though. You don't really notice the weight when you're riding it somehow. ---L*64

That looks very familiar...the pipe, rims, gas cap. We sold it to our friend who lives in Medina. I don't know if they still have it. I do know my 150r was sold to a flat track rider.

I liked my TTR better than my brother's 150f, just my opinion. Although mine was modded to a 150, with a bunch of other mods. We parted that one out, it's long gone. I hope to someday have one as a pitbike.

Hangtime 093007 (58).jpgmeadowlarks (31).jpg

Best pictures I have of the 85cc forks on each of the trailbikes. After looking at other pictures of that crf I wouldn'd doubt that was ours at one point. That logo for Reger looked very familiar so I'm sure we used them. And as always, any fork work was done by Parma Dave.

Yep--it's your old bike. The kid in Medina sold it to a guy in Michigan. Me and my bud went up there and bought it back from him. It's now back in Medina... haha! --L*64

Hey you can't mod your bike! that will disqualify you from the Smith road Pitracer grudge match!
I am protesting you right now for next year.

Do you have an extra header pipe you want to sell? I used to have a nice one ... no dents or anything.

now it has issues....

Haha! I have two 150's! I'll be sure to run the stocker in the grudge matches. BTW-- I was on my way to watch my nephew wrassle at Albion Middle School the other day. I went past your spot... or old spot. Did somebody buy your house and build something new? Or is it your same old place with a new shack on it --L*64

How about a "2 stroke" 125cc? at 5' 8", 190 lbs. I think he'd adjust to that fine with heavy fork/shock springs.

Ya I thinks the way we will go hes a big boy for 12 I wish I could get him to play football but alls he wants to do now is race MX hell had problems affording 1 racer lol.

Back