Insuring Dirt bikes-- yes or no?

LuckyStar64

PR Addict
With all the bikes being stolen lately-- I started thinking about ways to thug- proof my garage. I'm considering getting a bike someday-- so I'm thinking about what's available insurance wise at an affordable price. Anybody have their bikes insured against fire/theft? If so-- we should prolly discuss who, where, and how much. And any potential pitfalls.

I was also considering some kind of alarm for my house and garage once I do get a bike. --L*64

ABSOLUTELY! Homeowners does not cover your bike, it's cheap insurance against loss by theft or fire, compared to replacing the bike. There is no theft proofing, if they want it, they will get it.

I'd get the insurance and a gun, in case you catch them in the act.

Haha! I have a pellet gun in my closet all locked and loaded...haha! I'll cap some biotch if I catch somebody. Problem is if I'm not around to catch them. --L*64

State Farm told me that they don't insure dirt bikes...? Is it just my particular agent? I was actually thinking about trying Progressive. I'll call my agent again and see what she says. --L*64

I've had insurance on dirt bikes with Nationwide, Progressive, and now GEICO. Might have quoted 2 others as well. I try to keep it all in one place (cars, bikes, home) to maximize discounts.

I am with Cincinnati Insurance. I have mine covered for theft and fire only. Something like $50 something a year I believe. My trailer insurance is much more than $24 a year for sure though!! Hell the plates for it are like $68 a year in Ohio!

most definitely. being a victim of getting a bike stolen from me (and luckily someone at american national screwed up and said it was covered under homeowners) not knowing back then when it actually happened that you needed insurance on a bike even though its in your garage, and homeowners does not cover it. i would most certainly recommend it to be on the safe side.

Insurance & big chain as both are cheap vs the cost of replacing a stolen motorcycle.

Keep them hidden at home so no one driving by sees them & hits you while you are working. Yeah, face it most MX racers have jobs while maggots don't.

Back in the 90's I had a buddy who was hit by some dirt bags that were following the riders home from a practice track in Maryland to see where they
lived & robbing them when they were at work. He lost 3 bikes & still had 34 more payments on one. They ripped open the door on his box van taking
all his bikes, riding gear & tools.

I have a 1/2 chain also....But i got a giant piece of cardboard....its as big as a wall and just put my bike behind it and you cannot even tell its in the garage its like a false wall bike behind it....I thought it was a good idea....but insurance is a better one if you have major payments left

I agree with the insurance, plus a gun and my Greman Shepard. They come around me they're gettin' capped and bit!

Mine is worth more insured.........I wish someone would come steal it, lol.

I've been saying the same thing for years.. wouldn't even be upset if someone stole the thing. All these threads "HELP!! BIKE STOLEN"

Mine would be "WOOOOO BIKE STOLEN! PLEASE don't go looking for it!!"

Someone can steal my bike if they leave the suspension because its worth twice the bike! My good old 1/2" chain is pretty much makes it unstealable!

Back