Soda blasting in the Medina area? Results?

LuckyStar64

PR Addict
Anybody know of anybody around the Medina area that does soda blasting at an inexpensive price? Any before and after pics? I'd like to get the engine cases done on my GF's new to her XR80. I don't want to take the motor all apart and have the cases bead blasted-- they don't look too bad. I'd just like to step up the looks of her bike a little bit so it looks a little newer than the 2002 that it is. Plus-- I'm always working on something, and I'd like to see how the soda finish looks for future projects. --L*64

I found an old sandblaster that I used to use about 20 years ago on cars for small bodywork.....filled it with baking soda and it works great! I spent about 5 minutes on this hub that was all grungy with crud and chain lube.

Problem is you get covered in it and need a breathing mask if doing it for any length of time. Also it's cold out, so it sucks to be out in the driveway soda-blasting right now.

Cool thing is you can blast stuff that is assembled without worrying about getting grit everywhere. You just rinse it off with water.

Attachments

• Copy of IMG_0653.jpg
    Copy of IMG_0653.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 246
  • Copy of IMG_0655.jpg
    Copy of IMG_0655.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 243
I used fine glass beads to blast all my stuff. I like the soda idea. Less worry about it getting in places and doing harm.

I can't remember where it was, probably some vintage forum, but I ran across a link about soda blasting and it took me here:

http://www.aircooledtech.com/tools-on-the-cheap/soda_blaster/

I saw that and thought, hey that is pretty cool. I've usually taken everything all apart and blasted them piece by piece in my glass bead cabinet.....then deal with trying to get all the grit out of everything.

The cool thing is that you can clean parts off with the soda blasting without damaging other things like rubber hoses or hard finishes like chrome. I've blasted brake calipers and a couple hubs so far.

Back