Ok I ordered the PC r-304 silencer, Now platinum or factory head pipe?

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
I know factory looks sick. But does it have more benefits than just that?

Platinum is easier to maintain....

Through past experiences what do you guys go with?

--update: anyone familiar with the Platinum 2?

i have a factory on my 125 and a platinum on my 250... i hate the maintenance on the factory ... i would go with the plated pipe.

I always buy the factory finish for my 2 stokes. For some reason I cannot stand to put a chrome pipe on the bike. From what I understand with the PC pipe there is no performance differences, could be wrong though. Can be a pain to maintain but I just always make sure I have the WD handy after it gets washed or really oil the hell out of it if I know the track is going to be real wet. If I see any rust starting on it I use this cheap rust remover I got at auto zone that takes it off in no time and gives the pipe a silvery finish like the old factory honda pipes. Here is a shot of the works pipe on my yz, love the color

yz2.png

I want to go with the platinum 2. I guess its same performance as PC works pipe, but built at a heavier 18 guage.

That was the only thing I was going to chime in on, FMF pipes were always heavier duty but it sounds like they fixed that issue !

Yeah I just ordered the Platinum 2. Bob at FCR said the factory PC's bend easy. (or atleast his Kid has bent a few.) I want the strongest most easy thing to maintain for GeorgiePorgie's Vet on the Budget-LL-attempt.

Got me a platinum 2 I can always press dings out but with the factory I'm afraid with lighter guage material i'll blow a hole through it if I try to pop the dents out, and I purchased the R-304 silencer. Couldn't find dyno spec or anything different between the shorty and the long can besides the decibel rating. So we'll find out in 3 days what its like.

They factory are definitely hard to maintain but look so much better. I forget which but one or the other I was told was a little thicker. I would almost assume the plated one but idk

The "shorty" silencer will hit a bit harder and rev faster, compared to the standard length silencer. Jetting should be pretty straightforward too.

FWIW, the P2 is a good idea. being 18GA it is a bit heavier, but the added durability more than offsets any weight penalty.

Cosmetics are your own choice, but I dislike cleaning / oiling my pipe anytime the bike is washed or the track is muddy. A plated pipe looks better than a poorly cleaned unfinished one, IMO.

They call them "factory" for a reason! You didn't see the factory guys running chrome pipes....except maybe on their Harleys!

Spray the pipe with WD after washing, and whenever you are pulling the topend off for service go over the pipe with a scotchbright pad. Good as new!
RM144-04.JPG

RM250pipe.JPG

i wd just about everything metal on my bike after i wash it. scotchbrite on my factory finished pipe kinda made it discolored, i stayed away from that unless there was a bad spot and I would have to lightly go over it.. mostly just keepin it clean and not letting mud sit on the pipe for more than a couple days and its fine.

I have the p2 with 304 shorty on my 06 yz250. I like how it smoothed out the power. However, they dont last worth a crap. Ive completly wasted 2 of them in the last 2 seasons. I ride alot of trails so that doesnt help. I might put 15hrs of riding in a year. My stock pipe has never even had to have a dent pulled out. Sounds real good though makes all my 4s buddies jealous!

I have the p2 with 304 shorty on my 06 yz250. I like how it smoothed out the power. However, they dont last worth a crap. Ive completly wasted 2 of them in the last 2 seasons. I ride alot of trails so that doesnt help. I might put 15hrs of riding in a year. My stock pipe has never even had to have a dent pulled out. Sounds real good though makes all my 4s buddies jealous!

Well hopefully I don't run into the same problems, considering I don't run trails. I ride tv lands GP once a year, and for that race this year I'll just slap the stock pipe back on.

I'll give it a whirl, but if I destroy the pipe quickly I'm going to go with FMF. Funny part is, I have an FMF sponsorship at pretty decent discount off of cost. Who knows, maybe by regionals/loretta's I'll have an FMF pipe on. All depends...

But the greatest part about 2 strokes....to try out 2 different brands won't cost me $2,000!!!! I can smash up three 2-stroke systems for the price of one 4 stroker system.

Gets me thinking, do you buy new clutch covers every season, or do you wrap your boot in clothe everytime you ride? How on earth are those thing not all knicked up? (If they're not new of course)

I prefer the works finish for the simple fact that with a small amount of work you can make it look new again. With the platinum one, once it's beat up what are you gonna do get it replated?

Back