Tyla Rattray

Original44

PR Addict
This sucks :-(((

Injury Update :: Tyla Rattray - 2012 Supercross Lites wreck in Oakland
Submitted by Team Manager on Sun, 2012-01-29 22:44
Injury Injury Update Kawasaki Pro Circuit Supercross Lites Tyla Rattray
Tyla Rattray is the latest Supercross racer to get injured and will be side-lined for an extended period of time. Rattray had a bad wreck in the Oakland Supercross event Saturday night.

Tyler reported via Twitter that he suffered a concusion and a fractured C-7.

tylarattray Tyla Rattray Via Twitter
"Thanks for the kind tweets guys! Got a little fracture on my c7 and also knocked myself out for a while. But I'll be back..."
But he has company, just one week earlier both Trey Canard and Ryan Morais suffered back injuries sustained in a wreck when the two riders came together on a jump that saw Canard unable to complete the triple section do to a tuff block cover getting stuck in his chain.

Get well Soon Tyla Rattray!

Not to start up any kind of Leatt controversy, but when I saw him endo and land with his head tucked down into his chest as he was hitting the ground, I found myself immediately thinking to myself "is he wearing a neck brace?".

I don't think he wears any kind of neck brace, and nope, not saying it would have prevented the fracture or anything...just got me wondering as I saw his head get pushed down so hard.

Sad to see so many riders having such horrendous get offs this early in the season.

I personally think they all should be required to wear a brace.......just my opinion. Many driving series require some form of neck devices, our sport is no different. I know others will TOTALLY disagree with me, but it is MY opinion that people should wear braces.

From what I've read, the two riders (Rattray & Morais) w/o neck braces have fractures in their neck. The rider with neck brace (Canard) has fractures in his back.

If we are going to require riders wear neck braces then we should also require good spine/back protection like the ones offered by 661.

From what I've read, the two riders (Rattray & Morais) w/o neck braces have fractures in their neck. The rider with neck brace (Canard) has fractures in his back.

If we are going to require riders wear neck braces then we should also require good spine/back protection like the ones offered by 661.
roczen wears a back piece that im really diggin. ill try and dig up a pic. not sure if its what your talking about or not. also to be noted, morais' was so minor that he does not require surgery. not sure about rattrays. canard did get rods.

edit...
url

I think about these guys and the injuries ever minute since I saw those crashes. I knew they were BAD bad. SUPER Glad nobody died or is crippled.

Last spring, riding over my head following the fast kids at Apple Cabin- (albeit a super sweet bunch of laps) I broke my back. I hit my head so hard, Straight Down that it "spurred" bones in my neck, broke the carbon fiber helmet and broke the T-3. Luckily, it did not move inward to the spinal cord. Upon checkup, they told me no surgery.
The Neck Brace? I wonder what would have happened if I was wearing it?

The "T" or Thoracic section of your spine controls your breathing (or so I'm told) and if the Leatt put additional pressures down lower on the spine???
Now the question is, do I buy the damn brace and wear it? Or just slow the hell down and ride like old Andrew Fountain....

Very interested in the neck/back combo bracing. Wonder what the deal is going to be with that combination?

Man- I was sick when I saw those crashes and I AM SO GLAD THEY'RE GONNA BE OK. They will ride again. Thank the good Lord Above- So am I. Bike shopping soon.

btw thats from 661.

http://sixsixone.com/Catalog_661Mot...&product=e86dab95-d4a3-488f-960d-3d8fab227efe

I"m still one of the few (or it feels that way at least) wearing a hard shell protector on the outside of the jersey. IMO i want all the protection I can get from roost/bars into the chest/etc

I was thinking this may be a decent comrpomise to get something under the jersey: 2012_ROGUE.jpg

But that doestn have really anything on the shoulders.. and I think I like having that. Plus that one doesnt have the back protection that the one I posted above does. If they could combine the 2 that would be a sweet combo.

315619_2141057689103_1326024654_32001856_1947880162_n.jpg
Best wishes to tyla for a speedy recovery, hey barrington wasn't the nexus suppose to make it's debt at A-1? Any news on this? I also commend the guys still wearing hard shell chest protectors(sure wish i had one on in oct)

View attachment 4747
Best wishes to tyla for a speedy recovery, hey barrington wasn't the nexus suppose to make it's debt at A-1? Any news on this? I also commend the guys still wearing hard shell chest protectors(sure wish i had one on in oct)
pretty sure there are a couple guys wearing it. not sure what will happen with the new brace companies tho. looks like they may be having to pay royalties. so they may not last long. if you catch my drift. not positive, just what im hearing.

fmxpaul- what do you mean by T3 controls your breathing? you mean if you were to have a spinal cord injury? i believe its C3 that youd have to be injuried at to need a vent. could be wrong but i know im close.

I don't think Tyla could have tucked and rolled like that with a neck brace on.

Acerbis makes a nice under the jersey chest and back protector. It's kinda hot in the summer though.

ACR-CRD-_sw1_White.jpg

someone gets it!

Here we go again...I don't think anyone here can decisively state whether or not his broken neck would have happened had he been wearing a brace. The same holds true for whether or not he would have sustained an injury somewhere else had he been wearing a brace. If you have no way of knowing, why even go there?

All that can be said is that the way he landed (which was MUCH more violent than a "tuck and roll")...resulted in a broken neck.

Here we go again...I don't think anyone here can decisively state whether or not his broken neck would have happened had he been wearing a brace. The same holds true for whether or not he would have sustained an injury somewhere else had he been wearing a brace. If you have no way of knowing, why even go there?

All that can be said is that the way he landed (which was MUCH more violent than a "tuck and roll")...resulted in a broken neck.

I think it proves that the braces have no credible safety function. People are still getting hurt, no evidence to suggest its preventing injury.

should we just do away with message boards? because if someones opinion doesnt match yours, it shouldnt be talked about right?

Neck braces are debatable, I'm sure glad i was wearing one but whos to say what tyla's outcome would be be if he had one on! If you believe in them then wear one, if not don't! It's personal prefernce

Back