having trouble getting linkage off of frame..PLEASE HELP!!!

mthalt10

PR Member
so i am having trouble getting the bolt out that connects the linkage to the frame. this darn thing will not come out, i have fought and fought with it for about a week now and i am pretty sure that the bearings are froze up and that is why the bolt will not come loose. i have really only tried to beat on it with a punch and some penetrating oil. i currently have the swing-arm off of it to create some more room but that didn't seem to make a difference..lol..could someone please give me some tips on how to get this darn bolt out??

Heat. I like to use a really heavy block of steel or pipe, it creates blunt force. Works like a charm, but there are bolts that just will not come out!

Is this on an RM? Those bearings are always the first to go bad - where the wishbone connects to the frame.

Given the location of it you really can't get in there with anything other than a long punch. Keep soaking it with penetrating oil, and keep heating and cooling it. It also may help to lay it on it's side so you can get better force on it.

Same thing happend with my RM. Lots of PB Blaster and pounding did the trick... But It did take a couple days.

Yes, this is on a RM 250..sorry i guess i should have put that in there.. i found a long rod today at work so i am going to try that with some penetrating oil..if that dont work im gona try the heat..thanx guys

Gotta use heat. That helps get the penetrating oil down in there.

I had a vintage bike that I thought there was no way I was going to get the swingarm pivot bolt out. It was like it was welded in there. Just a lot of patience and heating and soaking and it eventually broke free.

Had a Yz250 same problem after a couple days I just melted the linkage out with an Oxy Acetylene torch then with a hand hack saw VERY carefully cut the bolt on each side of the remaining bearing sleeve. A couple blades and a half hour late and that nightmare was over. cost about $50.00 for the linkage but after a couple days with no progress it was a lot less painful.
Hope you get it. My theory is if its already broken, the worst you can do is break it some more.

Back