Yamaha YT 175 3-Wheeler (Middletown, Ohio)

Can't wait till ko1 sees this, he had one of these that he made a rear suspension system for. It actually worked well.

Saw it but trying to forget stupid stuff from 30 years ago. :eek:

This one may be a 175 but it has a 125 solid front end. These handled badly, even for a three wheeler. I believe Honda held a patent on the original ATC design that forced Yamaha to place the motor toward the rear of the frame. That made it hard to turn and it wouldn't climb anything unless the rider was hanging over the front fender. It really needed modification to perform at all. A swing arm moving the axle back helped but an IT 175 head and carb gave it enough punch to make it a scary ride. But at least it climbed hills. :rolleyes:

http://www.pitracer.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=42482&an=0&page=47#Post42482

Yes, the 175 had front suspension, the 125 had solid forks, but since the motors were directly interchangeable it could easily be a 175 motor in a 125 frame. I learned to ride 3 wheelers on a YT125, and I called it "the deathtrap" and it fit. I will say though that the Suzuki ALT125 I sometimes ride now is even worse than the YT125. My son has the ATC125M which is better in every way. I really enjoy riding the Suzuki now becauses its such a challenge, and I've got it mastered, plus no one ever asks to borrow it! Here is my son and I racing our 125's in 3 Wheeler B Class in 2011.

Back