Crf 450 wter pump leak hole seal...

Define "hard". You will be removing the entire RH sidecover from the engine, including the kickstarter and rear brake pedal. It goes without saying you will need to drain the oil and coolant. Yes, you will need to pry the seals (there are two) out of the RH case. Check the bearings for the water pump shaft. if the bearings fail, they will allow the shaft to "wobble", causing wear on the seals.

You will need 2 seals and a RH cover gasket. The water pump cover uses an o-ring that may / may not be reusable.

I had this problem over the summer. It wasn't a difficult fix. I replaced both seals, the bearing, the shaft, and the impeller. You may as well do it all while you have it apart just to be safe.

I replaced my impeller with the 2006 part, which is the same as the 2005 but with a little hole drilled through it. My understanding is that this equalizes pressure across the impeller and thus helps prevent those seal failures in the future.

Hi, my 2005 crf 450 needs a waterpump seal. Is this hard to change? Also, am I going to have to pry it out of the casings? Thanks!

My 05 did the same thing. It only leaked for a quick minute when I first started her up. Then after she got hot it sealed. I think Jon16 had the same problem a few times as well. I never did anything because obviously it would swell and seal itself after it warmed up....

That may be true in some cases, but mine didn't work that way. Mine would just pump coolant out the whole time I was riding so it had to be fixed.

crf 450 leak

Thanks a lot. At the moment, it leaks when cold. But heats up and is fine. So, I will probably wait a bit, but am going to prepare to change it. I always have back luck when I change ANY kind of seal, so as usual I dred it.

Keep an eye on that coolant level, You know if you push your luck too far its going to pump all that fluid out on the ground and without any warning. Then at the farthest area in the county away from your truck in the deepest darkest bog when no one else is around it will Seize up and there you will be cursing!!! If I had only changed that thing last weekend??? LOL! It allways works out that way.

Well I would recommend changing it soon. I ended up fixing mine sometime a year ago when it leaked then sealed up. You can risk chewing the water pump shaft, then that does is wear the bearing out, which leads to eating the clutch housing out and then you have really big trouble.

You can still ride it but id start buying the parts to do it soon.

Back