Where are all the Northern Ohio Racers???

DF405

PR Member
It’s that time of year when everyone feels seventeen again and can’t wait for spring tostart. This past winter has been mild, but still winter.<o:p></o
As I have noticed and read, Northern Ohio has gotten the wrap as a “No Racer Zone”. With AMA District 12 vanished and local track’s holding less and less racing, riders are spending more time at the track just practicing, not that there’s anythingwrong with that.<o:p></o
Truth is there has been some Fast Ass riders come from here in Ohio over the years and I don’t see any reason why that should change.<o:p></o
One of the obvious issues is the price to race as opposed to the cost of practicing. The other big issue is no one likes hanging at the track for hours to hurry up, race, and wait again. Track owners need the revenue from all the racers they can so I’m not for losing classes… I do though have some strong recommendations on how to get dudes out racing more often …<o:p></o
One step would to have a staggered/split schedule. Split the day into two events, mini’s,age classes, whatever, start at 7:30 and run till 12:00 or so. Second half could have the A, B, and C classes. This would alleviate the burden of having to get to the track at the crack of a Bird’s ass, and hang all day. Also,practice should be shorten, its race day. Just enough time to get loose. This format has worked well for District 14, (Michigan) for years. <o:p></o
Dash for cash class… Throw in 10 bucks from each entry and have a moto for the cheese….<o:p></o
Another idea would be to require the tracks to have the ability to start another race, prior to the last race getting every bike off the track. Plenty of time can be saved. Hell you could possibly add a lap or two to the moto’s… (What a novel idea,more than just a sprint moto that I waited 3hrs for…)<o:p></o
Another thing, the Wooden Plaque’s they give out, please… why bother, it could save money for everybody. Come up with some form of media recognition, websites, forums, something else. Most of the riders don’t give a crap about a wooden plate. True racers know what they did that day…<o:p></o
Less practice time the day of the race. Need to keep things moving. Nobody likes to wait and wait and wait.<o:p></o
Just food for thought, we don’t want racing in Northern Ohio to disappear completely…<o:p></o
One more thing, my company R & D Racing has a new training trailer with starterbikes that can be used for training of riders looking to get into the sport. We also feature computerized monitoring programs, safety and video taping.<o:p></o
For more advanced riders looking to learn some of the latest riding techniques, like “TheBubba Scrub”, clickers, and The Mental Edge we offer some valuable lessons. Call me at 440-823-5480 for all the 411.<o:p></o

Lastly, let’spray that this new season brings safety and damn good competition!!!<o:p></o
Out,<o:p></o
DF405

2012-03-02 20.25.43.jpg2012-03-02 20.25.29.jpgRJ110611-IMG_1303 touched.jpg

Scenic did that stagged start when it first opened...it worked sweet I thought show up at 11...and race by 12.And I guess u never heard of Malvern...or The Vern...there are racers there!!!

I agree on the practice thing. Every race I go to I think the same thing. They run way too many laps in practice and it drags out way too long.

MX315,

Actually I have heard of Malvern... Have you ever heard of Valley View??? In the 80's and 90's Malvern was my home track. Guys like Jeff Hicks, Fred Andrews, Dave and Carl Hand, Tom Carson, Tommy Watts, Tim Dohm, Gary Pustilac, Dale Spangler, Marcus Sellers, Broc Sellars, Harold Robison, Dave Lastafka, John Rupper, Ronnie Boyas, Emery Arden, Mike Jones, Carl Scott, Mike Katin, The Karnow's, Jeff Snyder, Jeff Fox, Jim Benko, Sammy Y., Eric Hale, the list can go on and on...

I haven't been to Malvern in a long time. I'll have to check it out, but I am some what familar with the track...lol

My take is a day of moto racing is known as "Hurry up and Wait"... We need to get more riders racing, less waiting, and keep the tracks in business.

I know the names above go back along way, I took a break from MX racing in the 2000's to race road and Supermoto. The one thing about those races is you race, not wait... Still always perfer moto... Oh, and they only give out Podium Trophies...

See ya at the Podium...
DF405

The other side of the split program is what usually is it's downfall. That is there are a lot of racing families that would need to stay for both programs because of children and parents both racing.

A split program racing day is actually a longer day total, so the people that have to stay for both programs end up with a longer day, as well as all the track personnel. I personally like it because I'm just racing vet classes, but I'm not the majority.

I don't know of any tracks using this anymore, are they still using it in Michigan? I didn't think they were.

This whole thing is just an evolution of the sport. When I started back in the 80's you could not go anywhere and have a prepped, groomed practice except for Smith Road on Wednesday. Other than that, it was racing. Look at it now -- all these tracks running groomed practice is really cool but it just thins everone out.

Why did everyone show up and race at OIR in the past? Because they wanted to ride/race that track and their only chance was on race day. Last year it was the opposite -- they were holding open practices so everyone showed up for their practices and not for the races.

It's a fine line between running so much you thin your own crowd out but yet running enough that people keep wanting to come out.

I think the Northern Ohio racers are more like riders. Look at Apple Cabin for instance, there will be 100+ every Thursday night!!!

Yeah I remember the 80's... You got practice on raceday... There really wasn't any tracks holding practice. Gran Prix was another track that had practices.

I try to got Apple as often as I can, and there are alot of riders and FAST riders there. Maybe we could hold some quick qualifiers...lol

Back