Staggered Restart....

PitRacer

PR Founding Father
That was interesting.....

Of course the buzz was that it has never been seen before. But I think the reason for that is that they have been more willing to throw the red flag the last several years than in years past. I can remember back when the only red flag I'd ever seen was a race in the 80's when Ricky Johnson got knocked out after the start.

It's funny how many things are actually in the rule books that we don't even think about because they so rarely (or never) have been executed.

i thought that was pretty cool. me likey.
i know some people were buzzing that it ruined roczens lead. but i also heard it actually gave him more of a lead on barcia. not sure of the truth.

That was interesting.....

Of course the buzz was that it has never been seen before. But I think the reason for that is that they have been more willing to throw the red flag the last several years than in years past. I can remember back when the only red flag I'd ever seen was a race in the 80's when Ricky Johnson got knocked out after the start.

It's funny how many things are actually in the rule books that we don't even think about because they so rarely (or never) have been executed.

They should have put out the red flag sooner. We were sitting about 35 yards up from where Cunningham went down. He was like a rag doll under the bike. Very clear he was knocked out cold. The T.V. did not do justice to just how serious that eat it was. He did not come to for what seemed like several minutes. At first, I thought he may have been dead! Was really scary to watch. They could have put that flag out sooner, possible before lap 3 was up, and then just a normal restart. Was interesting to watch them line them up and take off the way they did though. I can say I was present for probably the only time that will happen in my life time.

Mabey true, but he wasn't moving Pit. Not at all. He was laying there totally motionless for an easy minute or two. He just flopped around limp when they lifted the bike off him and then the flagger had problems holding the bike off of him while he layed limp right below the bike while trying to keep others from hitting them. Finally another guy came over after seeing the struggle and helped. Then an Aserisk guy showed up about 20 seconds later. Then after that it was red flagged. I think it was worth it. Didn't they used to do this with some type of supercross that was run in conjunction with stadium truck racing in the 80's? Though I believe that was inverted.

Seemed like a good way to do it. Having another gate drop seems unfair to the guys out front. Atleast with the staggered system you maintain your position into the first turn.

I couldn't believe they were that far into the race, then red flagged it. It does sound like it was warranted now from the people that saw it first hand though. I think it was the only fair way to restart the race.

Guy was down for a while.. was scary watching the riders fly into the whoops without noticing and having to dodge at the last second :(

I was naive and cussed at the tv. I said something like there goes pro politics, red flag and help out Barcia!

I was wrong! Wierd situation that got handled well. And the tv time was terrible for cunni. He walked to the asterisk truck, no mention of being knocked out.

Speaking of crappy tv time. Rife not mentioned once and had awesome start and ran 5th in heat 1.

I dont know if Cunningham went back out in the race but ....

In my oppinion if you are the cause of a red flag after the 5th lap you should not be allowed to re start in the stagger start.

Get a bad start and crash...play dead for 50 seconds and catch back up to the lead lap.

(I know he really was hurt......not faking)

I dont know if Cunningham went back out in the race but ....

In my oppinion if you are the cause of a red flag after the 5th lap you should not be allowed to re start in the stagger start.

Get a bad start and crash...play dead for 50 seconds and catch back up to the lead lap.

(I know he really was hurt......not faking)
that is the rule

Back