ktm 150, 250sx or kxf 250

shaffstall721

PR Member
Soon i will be getting one of the three. I currently have a CRF250 and i like it but i just want something new/ different. I dont see myself needing a 450 so ive narrowed it to these three bikes.. Opinions!?

If you are just racing for fun and want the most bang for your buck with the least maintenance cost over the long run, get the KTM 250SX. It's got more power and is more versatile than the other 2 bikes, is easy to keep running well and cheap to rebuild when you need one, and you can race it against 250F's in most places at the amatuer level............ so there is no down side to the bike if you don't want a 450. 250 2 stroke can go a whole season on one top end with good air filter maintenance and a quality oil and have more power than the 250f's you'll end up racing against.

If you are coming off a CRF 250 and an average rider i would recommend against the 250sx; it is a lot of bike! I have a friend who went from a crf 250 to a 250sx and he is so much slower. He is 50 yr old average c class guy so if you are younger or better you will be fine with the 250sx.

@brianRch i feel like that doesnt make any sense? no offense, but when i was on my yz250 2smoker, i was able to cheat, use the power and my ability to powershift to get it up to speed, whereas i had a 08 yz250f (i dont know if many of you know this but dude these things are straight turds, good handling, cornering, stability, but just no balls whats so ever, i ended up having to gear it down, and put a full fmf system on it just to get it to go anywhere) regardless, the lack of power on that bike, made me have to carry my speed through the corners, and just before i sold it, i rode it one last time over at COCR, and dude i was on rails, I'm only a C rider, and i was just flying lol, I was carrying enough speed i hit the big pro double coming out of the bottom after the triple (idk if its still there or not) needless to say the switch was nice, i could keep it on the pipe, and carry my momentum so much more, man i miss that bike, lol i tore that whole bike and polished the entire frame, that thing was like a mirror, it was so nice, but hard to keep shiny lol.

@brianrch i feel like that doesnt make any sense? No offense, but when i was on my yz250 2smoker, i was able to cheat, use the power and my ability to powershift to get it up to speed, whereas i had a 08 yz250f (i dont know if many of you know this but dude these things are straight turds, good handling, cornering, stability, but just no balls whats so ever, i ended up having to gear it down, and put a full fmf system on it just to get it to go anywhere) regardless, the lack of power on that bike, made me have to carry my speed through the corners, and just before i sold it, i rode it one last time over at cocr, and dude i was on rails, i'm only a c rider, and i was just flying lol, i was carrying enough speed i hit the big pro double coming out of the bottom after the triple (idk if its still there or not) needless to say the switch was nice, i could keep it on the pipe, and carry my momentum so much more, man i miss that bike, lol i tore that whole bike and polished the entire frame, that thing was like a mirror, it was so nice, but hard to keep shiny lol.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I was leaning towards the 250sx. And i probably am going to go with it. Anyone know how much lighter it is than a 250f? I can't wait to smell two stroke again lol

I don't think it's lighter...but you can look up specs and compare.

The only thing is at demo day down at the cliff I loved the 150sx. The 250sx was wierd and felt crazy unstable and jittery in low Rpms. But once you cleaned her out it was a rocketship...

A riding buddy (who is a lurking member on here and a vintage nut like the rest of my crew) brought the 2011 250SX he just aquired to our practice track Sunday . The bike RIPS and he said it is the lightest "feeling" bike he has ever ridden . He has owned a variety of bikes including a KTM 520 , a YZ250 , and a ton of various vintage bikes on up . Said it handles as good as the early Maicos which are like the holy grail of handlers . Only negative was that it was a bit flat on the low end which made the hit seem more abrubt . We are thinking that a bit of fine tuning may bring it around to a power delivery he likes more . Promised me a ride and I'm gonna hold him to it once my hip/back is 100% .

The 250 SX also comes with the ability to set up the power delivery the way you like using a combination of power valve springs and the CDI settings (coupler) to dial it in to your liking. The setting make a noticable difference in the abruptness of the power delivery.

Boy do I hate to even respond! Maybe I have been on a 250f too long but I don't remember my 2000 Cr 250 being like that KTM 250sx.

Ps: George you can no longer borrow my trailer this weekend!!!!

I was laughing at the stupidity of the six response. Not at you. Trailer is pulling quite nice. Bout to bunk up in Augusta, Ga.

Back