Licensing "Off Road Vehicles" for on road use

Ron505

PR Founding Father
I thought I would start a new thread rather than keep going back and forth on the other thread.

I have been trying everything to get my RZR street legal, but here in Fairfiled County, it is considered a off road use only vehicle. I've talked to 2 different BMV's about it, at different times with different representatives....and not happening. I have also talked to over a dozen people in the state of Ohio that have tried to get theirs "street legal". And all have come back with, "it it states it is for off road use only, you are screwed". I do have a friend that retitled his RZR showing it as a GC title (Golf cart). This requires that the vehicle only goes something like 20 mph among other stipulations, and should ultimately look like a golf cart. A RZR is a all terrain vehicle, and it's not hard to tell at first glance.

Please fill me in on how it's done. There must be some kind of loop hole that I have not heard about since there are several of you disagreeing with me.

Any detailed info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ron

I know guys with bikes that got street tags. They had to have a head light, tail light, break light, and a horn. They would put one of those squeaky horns on the bars and that would quailfy.

Friend of a friend who works at DMV switched my XR 250 title from Off Road Vehicle to Motorcycle. Good luck with a RZR, I would look into how people get dune buggy's licensed because that is pretty much same thing. I heard once people did something like "assembled from parts."

The People I know who registered their dirt bikes had the dealer apply for the title as a motorcycle and not a "dirt bike" or off road. I am not sure with a RZR how you would classify it through the BMV but I think the key is having the title not read off road use. You would obviously have to have all the required lights and nessecities also.

From the Ohio DMV website

http://bmv.ohio.gov/faq_vehicle_titling.stm#tog

<dd class="show" style="margin-top: 5px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; list-style-type: none; display: inline-block; color: rgb(26, 60, 142); font-family: Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif; line-height: 11px; text-align: left; font-size: small; ">I have an off-road motorcycle titled in Ohio. I have now brought it up to code for on road use and need to change the title. How do I do that?You would take the off-road title in your name and proof of the upgrade to your county Title Office and request to complete a "body code change" affidavit. If all is in order, the title will be replaced and reflect the body code as "MC" motorcycle. You would pay a fee of $15.00 plus notary fees and take the new title to the Deputy Registrar and apply for your motorcycle plates. You must have the motorcycle endorsement on your Ohio driver license to operate the motorcycle.

</dd>

Great news for Motorcycle owners, but not so great for Quad and Side By Side owners............ You basically are asking for a Automobile Title to run regular license plates on them, which is a lot harder set of laws to pass than making a motorcycle street legal. Remember that Motorcycle laws were written using the most basic of motorcycles as the pattern for what is street legal. Automobiles have gone through numerous changes over the years in legal issues and they don't really want you being able to ride your quad or side by side on the street legally. I'm sure it would be easier to get an Ohio OHV sticker or plate (Off Highway Vehicle) which in some places allows you to ride on the side of the roads legally between trails and off road areas, much like snowmobiles in the winter.

But if you are out tearing it up on the streets, your local law enforcement officers will probably come down on you anyway and they'll take that away in court.

Thanks guys. I have to wonder how the Snowmobile was street legal?

I was told that if I want to change the title to something other than "Off road use only", that it has to fall into one of the other categories. Can't remember them, but none sounded even close. I suppose it could vary between counties as well.

Thanks again.
Ron

The guy down the street said he had to have his inspected and titled as a custom build. He put on DOT tires, integrated turn signals and brake lights and added a horn and bolted on a windshield. He took it to the Highway patrol to have an inspection conducted. That is what he told me.

I dont understand why a side by side cant be street legal with the proper stuff. i mean its safer then a motorcycle imo.

You could move over to Hide Away and 31 miles of private roads. With a 19 mph speed limit, that's a lot of driving time! :rolleyes:

Back