1981 490 Maico vs. 1981 250 Maico

mooch

PR Elite
I've posted this around in a few spots and thought I'd see if anyone here has an opinion.
For quite some time I've wanted an 81 490 Maico and as I get closer to breaking the piggy bank, I find myself wondering how the 81 250 compares to the 490. Back in the day I had the opportunity to ride a 490 enough to become familiar with it...really liked it.

Never rode the 250, come to think of it, I don't think I've even seen one in person. I'm an intermediate rider and weigh about 165 so it's not like I need gobs of power.

Anybody have any experience with both bikes to have thoughts on the pros and cons of an 1981 250 vs a 490? Parts easier to find for a 490?

Edit post​

As mentioned, I had posted this same topic on a few other boards. I was surprised when someone on a vintage forum stated the 1981 490 Maico was already obsolete when it was released in 81. I'm all for people having differing opinions on stuff but it's pretty clear the person saying that doesn't have a few basic facts straight about what kind of technology was and was not available in 1981.

http://www.vintagemx.us/message_board/viewtopic.php?p=22730#22730

Mooch,

I had a 81 490 Maico from 88 to 92 & loved it.

Scott M. has a 81 250, seems to rides the bike a lot & believe out of his stable it is his favorite. Will give him a call to see if he will chime in.

I am restoring a 81 490 one right now that should have been done a long time ago but I am laid up again from a second auto accident last month
that left me with me 3 herniated disk in my neck so no rush. Nothing but time so going all out on the restoration.

The 81's handle very well but years ago mine would swap in the whoops some so modern Ohlins or re-valving would resolve that. Forks were
simple & worked quite well. In general the bikes are built quite well. Look at upper shock mount to see if gussets were added as that seemed to
be the weak point on the frame. Trannies hold very little oil so change often.

There are no cheap 81 250 or 490 parts as both have high demand with the 490 being the King.

Parts supply is very good but you will pay 2 to 3 times the cost of the average Jap stuff for certain items. Lots of stuff is reproduced & would
say parts are generally not a issue as most stuff can be had in a few days. Pipes, plastic & cables are reasonable but paid $180 for a complete
new kicker. Check out used prices for 81 parts on e-bay to get a idea of cost.

Would pick the 250 or 490 by your preference for motor size but build a 490 and the motor will last forever as I had 90 hours on the top end when I sold mine
in 92, it still had great compression & would hole shot over 92 KX & CR 500's!

Going for a restored or project bike, have any bikes lined up yet as if not can keep an eye out for one?

Joe Day had a 490 for sale but don't know if he still has it or not.

Maico Mark

I've never seen a 250 either and from everything I have heard or read over the years the 81 490 was one of the best bikes
ever made.

Dave/Mark, I agree with you guys...not sure why the guy in the link above is talking crap about the 490 by saying that it was obsolete when it was released in 1981 !?

Mark, I forgot that Scott had an 81 250. I had talked to him about Maicos last year remember now that he had said it was a favorite of his. I think he was even willing to let me take it for a spin. I'll have to get in touch and get his opinion on this.

Regarding buying one...I'd like to pick one up that is in decent shape as I don't currently have a lot of spare time to be working on restoring one. Plus, having never owned one I'm not familiar with Maico idiosyncrasies.

I've always wanted one and one of the most vivid dreams I ever as a kid back in the day was one about riding a Maico and how impressed I was with it in the dream. A few years later when I was in the Air Force and stationed in California, I hung out with a family who was into the mx scene pretty heavily and the Dad had some cool bikes he'd let me ride. He had a nice 81 YZ465, an 81 491 Maico and a Kaw 420 that was from about that same time period. I remember that I didn't dig the Kaw, the YZ465 felt kinda hyperish with suspension that was passable while the Maico had lots of smooth power and plush feeling suspension. That's the extent of my experience with riding a Maico.

I'm sure you can talk Scott into bringing some of his vast stable of German engineered MX machinery for you to ride at the
S.S.V.T.F. sometime soon . He is digging the 2010 KTM 250SX he recently picked up and you might even get a turn on that !

Trick 81 250 on Marks Vintage Swapmeet for 5k.

Thanks Mark, until someone sways me in another direction I'm beginning to lean towards a 490 at this point.

Did you by any chance look the link I posted above to Marks Vintage site forum where some guy is trying to convince me the 81 490 was obsolete the year it came out! Then as a basis for that opinion, he points to the 1980 KX420 having a single shock...hence that somehow made the 81 Maico obsolete due to it still having 2 shocks. Too bad the 1980 KX420 was a total turd bike that would have trouble getting out of its own way.

I'm sure you can talk Scott into bringing some of his vast stable of German engineered MX machinery for you to ride at the
S.S.V.T.F. sometime soon . He is digging the 2010 KTM 250SX he recently picked up and you might even get a turn on that !

I'm looking forward to my next trip up that way. I had a couple of invites last year that I had to pass on, please keep me in mind as things get rolling this year! The 81 YZ250 that I had brought up last year with the RM had a rear shock issue going on at that time and was feeling really stiff in the back. Turns out Race Tech had put a spring separator collar on backwards and was causing the smaller spring to bind up. That's fixed and that bike is running good now.

mooch, saw that on Mark's but every bike is obsolete as soon as it comes our as a new one is already under way.

490 is a lot of fun but sounds like you have already put some laps on one but 250 is easier to ride all day.

I may end up finishing restoring mine & then sell it as don't think I will be on the track for quite a long time as looking at being off work for about 2 months so no riding plans this year. Was going all out with fresh bore, new rod kit, all bearings, seals, new paint, new plastic & cables plus rebuilt Ohlins piggy backers on the rear, wide pegs, re-plated everything, may do black rims plus has a Wheel Smith pipe from back in the day.

Not sure what I will do with it yet but if you are not in a rush this one will be 100% clean & right when done....almost too nice to get dirty but no garage Queens allowed!

Mark, I kinda figured since I already have a 250 that I'm happy with for EVO that I might as well diversify and and go with a big bore. Not sure, If I could even ride it as well as my RM250 but at least I'd have some variety with the 490.

I sent you a pm about the one your restoring.

mooch, got the pm & saw I had a bunch of messages on there...need a flashing message light!
81 490 Maico's are fairly pricey usually going for 5 to 7 grand depending on how fresh & what has been done to them.

mooch ,
I read your thread on the vintage site . Interesting . To me , the whole vintage dealio is about riding cool old bikes , not necessarily the BEST of the lot , but bikes you always admired , wanted , and maybe couldn't afford way back when . Super Hunky , Rick Sieman , wrote a list of what he considers the 10 worst MX bikes ever created . I have ridden many of those and actually owned two of them , a 1973 Yamaha SC500 and a 1981 Honda CR450R . I loved both those bikes , spent a lot of time and $ modding them to my liking , and was as competitive on them as I probably would have been on anything else . Wish I had them both back . My current favorite is my 84 Husky CR500 which has dual rear shocks , front and rear drum brakes , and no water cooling : talk about being obsolete the day it rolled off the production line ! I LOVE this bike ( even though the SOB is almost impossible to start ) and prefer it over the other big bores of the day . I don't know about the AMA class structure but in AHRMA , these bikes like my 500 and the 490 Maico run in the Gran Prix class against like machines . The " modern " single shock , water pumpers run in Ultima . To me that makes the guy's " obsolete " opinion a non-issue . The big equalizer has always been rider talent . Plenty of races have been won on " inferior " equipment and I know guys who could probably best me and my 500 even if they were on a clapped out Hodaka with blown shocks .

On another note , the big bore bikes ( and even the 250s ) of that era are TALL . I can barely touch toes to ground on the Husky and usually stand on a block of some kind when I feel frisky enough to try and kick start it , instead of doing the " walk of shame " to push it to the bump start hill . If I remember correctly you are my height or a bit less . Scott is probably 3 inches taller than me and has trouble kicking those 81 maicos ( 81 is the year not the # he owns but he may be getting close ) without standing on something . A lot of the old big bores had starting and kicker shaft issues due to the force needed to get those big pistons and long rods through their stroke . Just a couple points you might want to consider .

I've read S-Hunky's 10 Worst list several times. In fact I have it copied to my disc at home and have printed off a copy for quick reference in case a bike deal falls in my lap unexpectantly.

I too have studied his analysis and then upon talking with riders at the tracks have heard and seen the corrections people make, to make these machines better, improved, and race worthy. I've been particularly curious about the YZ490's mods. There are a "LOT" of these bikes out there. There seems to be a lot of parts available, and they sell reasonably priced.

And like you say, if a guy can take a bike, correct it's flaws, and then get it set up so that the bike is a good fit and manageable to the individual rider it just may make a keeper for the stable.

The one on e-bay went for $4,255 so prices must still be down a little as that would have been a very fair price asuming it ran ok.

Yep Mark, I was curious too, so I came home today and checked out what it sold for. Karl Poindexter sent an email to let me know that he knew of someone in Ohio who had a "few" 490's for sale...could be another possibility there.

Regarding those YZ490's, as KO mentioned the engines on those things are not so hot. Jet it a little rich and it blubbers, go a little leaner and it pings...apparently rough finding any kind of sweet spot on those! A buddy of mine had one and was going back and forth on the jetting and was in ping mode for awhile due to getting tired of pulling the carb apart and messing with it. Rode it that way a little to long and it seized. That was his least favorite bike of all time :)

My least favorite bike of all time was a 1980 CR125 that I owned back in 1980. Nice looking bike, but even after putting some high dollar shocks on it and a Mugen engine kit, still hated it! Couldn't unload that thing quick enough and the next bike was a 1981 RM125...got on that thing and thought I was riding a works bike! Never did any kind of mods to that RM and it was one of my favorites of all time.

I rode halfast's Husky 500 years ago & outside of a fat tank or shocks being a little soft for my weight loved the bike as the thing rips!
My idea of a few laps must have been more then his as he thought I was going to run the tank dry.

The 81 490 Maico I had 20 years ago would start in 2 or 3 kicks & did not use a compression release which they say is a no-no.
Trick is to push until the free play if out of the kicker & give it all you got with a strong leg or extra weight being a bonus.
With a Bing lean the bike over until gas run out the overflows & does not hurt with other carbs either as it will fire easier.
If you are not close to 6 foot tall a milk crate or tool box may be helpful. Left side kick but no big deal one you get use to it.
Never jab or stab at the kicker with your foot as it will chip the 1/4 round kicker gear when it engages with the bear on back side of clutch.

If you find one predict this will be the bike you keep forever as everyone who has one loves them.

Not as many nuances as people think just keep an eye on the nuts & bolts with a quick 2 to 3 minute run over every ride or two.
Pay partial attention to the kicker as if the bolt ever gets loose the splines get trashed right away & will never stay tight unless you buy a new
knuckle & shaft. Motor mounts & sprocket bolt are next on the list but rarely if ever looses up.
Not a lot of tranny oil so change often as Maico's transmission spin faster than most due to compact size.
They also have primary chains going from clutch basket to crank that need replaced with ever top end on a 250 but would do a little
more often on a 490 as top ends last forever. Don't spare the pre-mix oil or jet too lean as Maico's have a double row crank bearing on
the clutch side with 2nd row rather far back when compared to most crank bearings.

If you are a big jumper add a triangle frame gusset above the top shock mount & this is the first area to look at on a used one for frame cracks.
Also look closely at frame motor mounts & cases for wallowed holes or faces.

I know you were asking about mine but really don't want to sell it as looking at the keeps me with hopes or racing again one day but that is many years off.

Can't wait to see you on one!
Maico Mark

Mooch ,
I see that Joe Day's 81 Maico 490 is back on evilbay . That bike is schweeeeet ! Tricked out and ready to rip but almost too nice to ride . He is in Harrison , OH and you might know him . It was on there before but I don't know what happened with the auction . I rode with Scott M. on Sunday and he said come on up and try out his bikes sometime . He also said good luck finding an 81 250 though as they are a lot more scarce than the 490's .

Mooch ,
I see that Joe Day's 81 Maico 490 is back on evilbay . That bike is schweeeeet ! Tricked out and ready to rip but almost too nice to ride . He is in Harrison , OH and you might know him . It was on there before but I don't know what happened with the auction . I rode with Scott M. on Sunday and he said come on up and try out his bikes sometime . He also said good luck finding an 81 250 though as they are a lot more scarce than the 490's .

I don't know Joe but I did see his 490 on Ebay and the auction is still going at this point. When you mention the bike is in nice shape, sounds like you may have actually seen it?

I'm so clueless...I've been torn between an 81 250 or 490. Then I got to thinking that maybe I should buy an older Maico that I could run in vintage since I already have 2 post vintage bikes. Hmmmm.

Back