programmable tuner info

mswartz

PR Addict
Has anybody ever used a programmable tuner for improved fuel economy and added horsepower for their truck? Wondering if this will help when towing the trailer to the races.

Gas truck maybe 1mpg. Diesel I went up 3mpg and have a heavy foot now. Dont forget you have to consider the price of the tuner. How long does 1-2 mpg take to pay off 400 plus for a good tuner. Also do research on what tuner for what brand as they are vastly different.

What truck are you putting it on? Gas, NO. Diesel, YES. If its a diesel, do an exhaust (or atleast cat/muffler delete) and an intake. That`ll get you your best MPG without getting into more expensive options.

Well, I have an 06 F150 with the 4.6. I know, I know, should have bought the 5.4. But I had no intention of buying the trailer either. Thats how it happens I guess. Anyway, the truck does fine pulling the trailer most of the time. Trailer is only a 6x10 non v-nosed enclosed trailer. The reason Im wondering about the tuner is if it would help for when youre going up a decent hill. Seems my truck really works to pull up a steady incline. Maybe just trade the truck in on one with the bigger motor? lol Thanks for the feed back.

Thats a 4.6 for ya. We had a 97 with a 4.6 and at the time had a 6x12. Sold the 6x12 and got a 7x14. Thing almost popped wheelies and ran wide open to get to 65 lol. Def wasnt a trailer pullin motor. Buy a diesel and youll never turn back. I had a 5.4 too. Wasnt too bad but still nothing like a truck with no spark plugs.

Well said Meister, I have a 04 5.4 FX4 and its last gasser i'll ever own. Thing gets 13mpg on 33's no matter what Im pulling or how fast i'm going. Buddies Duramax gets 21 mpg cruising at 80!

Guys need a chevy. Have a 6.0 and it pulls an enclosed loaded down with three Harleys at 85 to 90.....same mileage with or without the trailer.....12.5mpg

I think it's worth it. I used to pull around my 7x14 enclosed trailer with a 1997 F-150 with a 4.6L. I had a different intake on there, cat back exhaust and a Superchips tuner. I did get better MPG's with it, and a little more power. I could comfortably run that truck at about 65-70 mph without having to hold it to the floor. When I wasn't on the freeway, I'd take it out of overdrive. That alone just made it drive so much better. Granted it ran probably 500 rpm higher or so, but it didn't shift in and out of OD all the time. It was no fire breather by any means, but it worked well enough for me.

The biggest thing I've ever noticed with a handheld tuner for gas engines is how much it helps an automatic transmission. Really firms up the shifts, and just feels so much better. It's not like the gears slam or anything, it just feels more solid. Throttle response is always more crisp. So it is a nice improvement, and I would reccomend it everyone. I did end up getting probably 2mpg when unloaded, and if I kept my foot out of the throttle. You will notice some more power, but I've always felt the biggest difference in how much better the transmission feels.

I think it's worth it. I used to pull around my 7x14 enclosed trailer with a 1997 F-150 with a 4.6L. I had a different intake on there, cat back exhaust and a Superchips tuner. I did get better MPG's with it, and a little more power. I could comfortably run that truck at about 65-70 mph without having to hold it to the floor. When I wasn't on the freeway, I'd take it out of overdrive. That alone just made it drive so much better. Granted it ran probably 500 rpm higher or so, but it didn't shift in and out of OD all the time. It was no fire breather by any means, but it worked well enough for me.

The biggest thing I've ever noticed with a handheld tuner for gas engines is how much it helps an automatic transmission. Really firms up the shifts, and just feels so much better. It's not like the gears slam or anything, it just feels more solid. Throttle response is always more crisp. So it is a nice improvement, and I would reccomend it everyone. I did end up getting probably 2mpg when unloaded, and if I kept my foot out of the throttle. You will notice some more power, but I've always felt the biggest difference in how much better the transmission feels.

Cody, those few bolt ons sound like they would make the difference. Much cheaper then a new truck. lol Thanks

Back