Same Old Smith Road???

DF405

PR Member
Ran out to Smith Road for practice yesterday after hearing they weren’t under water. I go way too far back with George and this was the first time I’ve been out since he left, God Love him...

I gotta tell you, the track was beautiful…

Larry has widened many sections, tore out the front whoops (or whatever you want to call them) and added a nice table-table with plenty of room to pass.

All the jumps have had dirt added and are faced correctly. They put in some tabletops that are safe and in good locations. The biggest change I noticed was no RUTS IN EVERY TURN. The dirt they added really made some bomb "berm blasting turns".<o:p
</o

I talked to Larry at length and he told me they have plenty of improvements yet to be installed… adding more fresh dirt, sand section, and other stuff...

Big thumbs up from me, only real problem was there weren’t too many riders. If you haven’t been to Smith Road in a while…for whatever reason, You need to go check it out…

Most of all, the track was FUN… That’s why we do it…

NOT THE SAME OLD SMITH ROAD…<o:p
</o

Out,
DF405

corky and girls.jpgOne Lucky Dawg...

I think the new owners have been doing a great job so far. People wanted weekend practice and they did that last season. They seem to be listening to everyone on here and making all the changes people want

I missed last night's practice. Had a few unexpected things come up late in the afternoon.

Larry and his crew are listening.

Will be back next Wednesday.

The biggest change I noticed was no RUTS IN EVERY TURN. The dirt they added really made some bomb "berm blasting turns".<o:p
</o[/COLOR][/FONT]

Ruts in every turn is what makes smith rd so awesome, I hope they dont change that because I wont be back. That is what motocross is all about, different lines. All the whinning on this board about quads not riding on the track with bikes is because they create corners that are flat and one lined with the absence of ruts. Change what you will but eliminating the ruts is a really bad move in my opinion.

Went to the quad practice last night and the track is awsome. I've been racing at Smith for around 10 years and this is the best layout I've ever seen there. Definitly be back for more practices and hopefully a couple races. I also think splitting up the days for bikes and quads is a good idea, that way all riders are happy with the conditions.

Jay...

Nothing wrong with ruts... But please, you can't tell me you really enjoy slot car riding... Don't worry, Larry left plenty of ruts for ya to ride...

One more thing, that what motocross was... in the 70's and 80's... You might consider riding Hare Scrambles...lol

DF405ama76_Steve-Wise_300.jpg

Im not Jay....

If you consider Smith rd from the previous owners prep slot car racing then you need to ride a quad ! The tracks that are smooth are best suited to quads and not bikes. Smith road was anything but slot car racing, go to Red bud some time and ride, go to Briarcliff and ride. Those are tracks that have real ruts and lines.

Maybe Im slow but I dont understand your hare scramble comment. Are you saying that motocross USED to have ruts and now doesnt and I should ride HS if I want them ? Wow how much racing experience do you have ? Where do you ride ?

Funny stuff

I too went to Smith Road Wednesday. The track was great. Some berms, some ruts etc. Great for everyone. I liked the combination of ruts and berms. I will be back
- especially when the pee wee track is extended for the kids!!!

Hershey...

Sorry bout the mix up... Son do you know who I am... Dave Fletterick, been racing since the late 70's, 11n LL's 250A Stock 85', three straight appearances in 5 classes at LL's, 7yrs Pro AMA SX/MX, 2007 USMGP National Champion 125 Motard Thumper, and 250cc Thumper, 2007 AMA Supermoto winner Waterford Sportsman Class,1st ever KTM Sponser'ed Rider Training Company in 1997, 2002 Norwalk Pro Bike Class winner, I've raced just about anything someone lets me.

I run R & D Extreme, Co rider Training schools for both Moto and RoadRacing.

Now, I never said that a track has to be smooth!!! The rougher the better, thats where the cream rises my friend. No where to pass, Holeshot sprint moto's, un-surfaced faced jumps, trees, ect is not a safe combination.

I grew up racing every other weekend at Smith Road. I have known George Singler for over 40yrs, but it was time for fresh blood. George is a Moto Icon, God Bless him...

Late,
DF405

I was out Thursday and have to say I loved the new layout. While I'm one of the few sickos who misses the old 6 1/2 pack thing, I think most of the changes will be considered improvements by the majority. The only thing I might have done in addition is widen the track in every spot where it was easily possible, including widening the tabletops that replaced the six pack. There were a few spots in the back and in the bottom that could easily be widened to increase passing opportunities. (One thing I saw at Earlywine that I loved was jumps wide enough for two quads with cones in the middle, and penalizing anyone for hitting a cone so people couldn't ride the middle or do the Woodsman weave to hold back faster riders.)

The debate over ruts vs smooth is stupid since they have different practices for bikes and quads. What I have found is that both bike riders and quad riders are lazy and want a track layout out for maximum speed at minimal effort so that whoever spends the most money for engine work can win. This means bikers who never learned to do unbermed cornering really like "slot car racing", and quad riders who cant negotiate ruts like nice smooth corners and left turns where they can hold the throttle wide open and easily slide around.

Personally, for trikes (and quads) I like big sticky ruts and that old deathtrap six pack, and right hand turns because most of my competition has never learned to ride them, and their wallets and new hardware can't compensate for lacking those skills. I would think that bikers skilled in cornering without berms would love the oportuinity to pass all those guys waiting in line to access the only berm. I know quad trail riders like those big ruts that can swallow a whole front wheel.

Either way, my guess is that the track will look more like what we are used to seeing on race day as far as the ruts go, and not so much like the quad practice.

It was a great quad practice, and hopefully I can make another one before my race schedule tightens up immensely. To me it WAS the same old Smith Road we've grown to love, but with a lot more attention to maintenance and improvement.

Back