Zinc Plating is the way to go!

mx049

PR Elite
After many years of sandblasting & painting parts I finally took the time to take a batch in for Zinc Plating.

Started off at Medina Plating but went there discovering they had a $150 minimum charge & had a few more things to get in as the cost
was fairly high so did not leave anything with them plus they wanted me to string small parts on copper wire for racking.

Talked to a buddy who suggested I try Kelly Plating in Cleveland & did. What a cost difference as they did almost 130 parts for only $40.
You need to sand or bead blast them clean first and no need to string on copper wire as they prefer to do this themselves when needed.

Did everything from axels, kickers, chain guides & adjusters to nuts and bolts. Axels still go in ok as plating build up is not that thick.

Parts turned out great as the do bright zinc with blue chromate(clear) over it for added corrosion protection.

Kelly Plating
10316 Madison Ave.
Cleveland, OH 44102
(216) 961-1080
http://kellyplating.com
Think Ray was the guy I spoke with.

Attachments

• 100_0824.jpg
    100_0824.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 316
That was the extent of my winter projects before getting laid up again.

The only bummer was they do not ship so had to drive back in in to pick up.

Zinc is often used on nuts & bolts so wrenches won't affect it as it is not soft like paint.

Chrome may have been better for kicker but not worth the cost of going elsewhere.

Frank- If you save up a few part maybe we could send take them in together as I have a more things to do later on.

The only thing the guy said not to do was small springs as the become brittle for some reason.

Maico Mark

Not too far from my work on West 150th street. I will keep this in mind, stuff looks great!

Mike thanks for the lead as that worked out great saving me over a hundred bucks plus the drive to either place is about the same.

When the parts are assembled on the bike they look great & take a restoration to the next level.

Before you take anything clean your part up 100% by glass or sand blasting as they do not clean them for you.

Back