Chevy Express.....moto reviews please?

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
Satisfied, Disatisfied? Explain.

I'm about to pick up an 09 Chevy Express 4.3L V6, with 70,000 miles. I think I got a pretty good deal as this thing is absolutely spotless and it's from South Western Pa. No rust. It's not the extended.

How are these things on gas? Is this 6 cylinder going to get me to the track with decent gas mileage?

Is it possible to stuff 2 yz250's and possibly an RM 80 in the back of these things with a bench seat?

My thing is, I dont really think I need a v8 or 2500, but i'm really not sure...any input is great. (Pictures of your setups would be great as well if you can muster them up.)

Getting 2 big bikes and a bench seat in a non-extended van is a tight squeeze.. but it can be done. Your bench won't have much leg room. You could probably back the 80 in between them and get the doors to close.

Can't really talk on the gas mileage on that van/motor. My E250 with the 4.9 straight 6 (with 190k miles) gets 16mpg combined loaded or unloaded or pulling a car.. nothing seems to make a difference.

But I can tell you I first had a non-extended van.. and since day 1 of owning it I was on the hunt for an extended one to upgrade to. Can't beat the extra room.

I have a 2003 Chevy Express 2500 3/4 ton, standard lengh, 8 passenger van I bought new. 2 bench seats, but I take the rear one out. It has 150,000 miles on it and still going strong. I have the 6.1 (?) liter...the big boy. Pulls at best, 13 miles to the gallon on the freeway. With a trailer, closer to 9 or 10. I love my rig. Only issues I have had over the years is the air conditioning lines are routed such that they rot out and the result is no air condition. I have spent a couple thousand over the years keeping air in it. Other than that front wheel bearings just recent and the usual wear. I have put two Cobra 50's and a YZ450 and YZ125 in it. I have hauled to FLA a couple years back 3 full size bikes, but leaves no room for gear and such. 2 on the edges go forward and the one in the middle backwards.

For set up. Rocket took a 2X12 board, cut it to length, and I strapped it to the back of the front row bench seat along the floor. Put some tie down hooks and wood to to it to hold the wheels in place and away she goes.

You will be able to get your 2 YZ's and RM80 if you pack it up right, but you will not have much room for gear, gas cans, stands and such...

2 full size bikes works great with room to haul what you wil need.

A pic up me loaded up 2 full size so you can get an idea. Once you move the rear wheels to the side you can pile in a third backwards.

DSC00026.jpg

One empty so you can see the board mount.

photo1.JPG

Also, if you get a hitch mount you can either get a carrier for the extras or a bike rail and put the 80cc there and the cans, gear, and such back in the van between the 2 big bikes.

Speaking of that get used to smelling gas why you drive...just part of the deal having the bikes in a protected, secure, van why you travel. Otherwise get a pickup.

Pit has a good point with the mud also...it is a 3rd vehicle for me so no worries on destroying the inside. It it something you are going to wear a suit to work in, the dust from the track, mud....etc piles up on seats and dash, no more really than any vehicle at the track, but just saying they get dirty inside from muddy bikes, gear, kids...etc.

for sure you are gonna know where every gas station is now, like 10 to 15 mpg at the most, i had mine for 1 season and decided to just get a cab and a half truck again.we already paided for thirty wars at the gas pump, so what do you think were paying for now.dont forget our president is black

I had a full size Express 1500 with the smaller V8 and it worked great for hauling.

The thing I DON'T like, is I like to keep my vehicles somewhat clean because I have to drive it every day to work and such. It sucks jamming muddy bikes back into the van and I found myself just using my trailer most of the time.

you should know from looking at my van std length is rough!!! I would have saved a bit of room not building a wall, and also if I didnt want the folding bed in the front.. but it CAN be done. just have to plan out every single inch, because you're going to need it! either way vans > everything else. i could fit 3 in mine for sure if i didnt have that little storage thing aong the one side.

George, my and my girlfriend have a 4.3 v6 Chevy express right now. It has about 200k on it and runs like a damn champ, I love that van. As for spotless, ehhh cant say that haha but we did pick it up for 950! It gets 17-19 mpg which isn't bad at all.

As far as fitting 3 bikes in there, my friend Broc has an express van with a bench seat that is pushin 400k and it had had 3 full size bikes is it for pleanty of those miles. It's packed but can be done l...If its a good deal then I'd get it.

I can't speak for the van but I can for the engine, had one in a full size truck and one in a mini van. They are bullet proof, for all intensive purposes they are a 350sbc with 2 less cylinders. The gas mileage was okay, it is honestly about the same as an efficient v8 as you can see from spagina above. Its got less punch than a V-8 but plenty to haul some bikes, its not under powered or anything but hey youre not pulling a car hauler so it will be good to go!

regular length.. you can see the lack of leg room. in order to get the doors to close the front tires were wedged up next to the seat on either side:

IMAG0322.jpg

175479_10150092546043218_510743217_6222496_6952939_o2.jpg

extended.. well you get the idea:

IMAG0027.jpg

We used to have a van, put two big bikes with my CR 80 in backwards. Little tight seating but its works out fine. Might be better with a diesel for the right price because of its better gas milage, towing and higher resale value.

The 4.3 motor is bullet proof, i have a astro van used every day for work with just under 290k on it, it gets 15-17 mpg loaded down with equipment and ladders on top.

The express/savanna is legit. i have an ext duramax i put 3 bikes stands gas cans ect...and all the power you need! You can pack alot stuff in once you figure it out! Deffinetly get an ext if you can.

I bought a used serve pro van Chevy express 3500 standard length (Kawasaki green) gas 350 with 190,000. I put new wheels/ tires , misc small engine parts thermostate , cap and rotor plugs wires ect. Interior wall and second row seats.. I've pinned that van for over 50,000 miles with no problems multiple trips to red budd! And leaving 4am for high point area tomorrow morning . We can fit 3 bikes in 2 facing forward and 1 backwards . Gas milege is 15 always unless pulling sumthing witch i think it gets 5 . Highly suggest any mxer to get a Chevy van. Larger interior than a ford Van i think .

We had a 2003 Astro AWD van we bought new with the 4.3 V-6 & now have a Tahoe with a 5.3 V-8.

Gas mileage is about the same but the Tahoe a lot better when towing plus it runs a lot stronger & can tow a lot more.

AWD Van with 4.3 was 14/17 normal mixed & 12/13 towing a small enclosed.
Tahoe with 5.3 15/18 normal mixed & around 15/16 towing small or 8/10 towing 20' toy hauler.

If you have a choice go for the 5.3 as it is a great mix of power & gas mileage.

6.0 is a beast for towing but thirsy for around town.

Mx049 is exactly right! I have worked on these engines professionally since they both came out. The difference is huge! The 4.3l was a staple for GM for forever but the 5.3l is light years ahead! Power, gas mileage, technology, maintenance, all better. Also, many forget to factor in the rear end. Gear chooses can affect mileage 2-5 mpg by itself.

If you havent bought one yet, I would keep looking for an extended length. There is a dealer in Dayton that usually has a bunch of used white ones on his lot.

I think the 4.3 is actually the older 5.7 or 350 from the late 80's minus 2 cylinders.

Too bad they did not put the newer 4.2 straight six from the Trailblazer in it as that is a lot stronger at near 300 hp & gets better mileage.

Not that the 4.3 is not good motor but it is a little bit of a dog when compared to the other choices.

Clean used is the way to go as the cost on new ones are crazy anymore saving the money for racing!
I bought a used Tahoe, Toy Hauler & 4 vintage bikes for way less than a new Tahoe would have cost.

4.3 is not the 5.7. The 5.3 replaced the 5.7. The new 5.3 motors are 327s, and the older 5.7 are the old 350s. I've had two suburbans with the new 5.3s, good motors. My current Suburban has the 6.0 liter. I like it the best, and gets 12.5 miles to the gallon towing or not towing.

I have a 03 Express standard length, 5.3. Bought new, average 15 to 22 mpgs. 5.3 is a much better choice than the 4.3. Great v-6 but old technology. My van's drive train has been bullet proof. But I have had several small problems. Plastic gas tank had to be replaced, gas gauge doesn't work, dash lights, like Zman said, AC lines deteriate, fixed twice. CD changer hasn't worked for years, replaced once. One bike and all the gear for riding camping fit nicely. Plus a nice place to sleep, Heat in the winter, AC in the summer.

Sorry to dig this grave up, but I figured I would post as my van is now for sale in the classifieds.... My '97 Express 2500 has the 5.0 motor in it averages 17-22 MPG as I have done mostly highway to races.... It also has 20" rims which roll like crazy and keep momentum moving! Awesome setup with bed/bench wired to electric motor to lay down for the national weekends....

Attachments

• van1-35.jpg
    van1-35.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 2,880
  • van2-35.jpg
    van2-35.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 638
  • van3-35.jpg
    van3-35.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 1,865
  • van4-35.jpg
    van4-35.jpg