Bikes for a 7 year old boy?

ADplayrider

PR Member
Was wondering what you moto parents started your kids out riding on? My wifes 7 year old has been wanting a bike,but not sure what to get? I rode for a long time,but never had to pick out a bike for a child. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Need more info. .....Size, height, weight…..any past riding experience.Whom will he be riding with and where?

Well, about 65lbs, 3 foot tall. He's never rode a bike other his bicycle. He picked that up really fast. He be with me or his mom and that would depend on our crazy work schedule. For now we would just start off by riding in field behind my house to c how it goes.

Maybe a Honda Z-50 would fit him better as it is very quite for riding near houses plus a low cost & maintenance bike that will run forever. If you
plan on him racing there is a trail bike class for them at some tracks or if racing for sure a KTM 50 air cooled is decent as my daughter had on in 2003
but those require a lot of up keep and are rather loud. Stay away from the Chinese knock offs as they seem to break a lot.

Maybe stop by your local dealer to see what fits him as the sales people could give you some guidance & can shop around from there.
If you are near Amherst try On The Edge as they always took very good care of us.

Don't get anything too large as he will have a hard time riding it as growing kids will go thru several motorcycles over the years.

Also get all the riding gear you can for him as the kids stuff is fairly reasonable & in addition to a helmet & gloves would go for pants, jersey,
boots & shoulder pads.

Don't know where you live as I am in Brunswick but will take a look to see if I have any kids gear left over thinking we have jersey, pants, gloves
& knee pads but need to dig them out.

Maybe a Honda Z-50 would fit him better as it is very quite for riding near houses plus a low cost & maintenance bike that will run forever. If you
plan on him racing there is a trail bike class for them at some tracks or if racing for sure a KTM 50 air cooled is decent as my daughter had on in 2003
but those require a lot of up keep and are rather loud. Stay away from the Chinese knock offs as they seem to break a lot.

Maybe stop by your local dealer to see what fits him as the sales people could give you some guidance & can shop around from there.
If you are near Amherst try On The Edge as they always took very good care of us.

Don't get anything too large as he will have a hard time riding it as growing kids will go thru several motorcycles over the years.

Also get all the riding gear you can for him as the kids stuff is fairly reasonable & in addition to a helmet & gloves would go for pants, jersey,
boots & shoulder pads.

Don't know where you live as I am in Brunswick but will take a look to see if I have any kids gear left over thinking we have jersey, pants, gloves
& knee pads but need to dig them out.

This sounds about right. or maybe you (Actually could go with the Chinese knock off) / (through away) version of the same. Like Sun-L, Rocketa, ect. they are inexpensive NEW but cheap and after 3-4 years pretty much junk. (depending on how often and abused of course) but then again Smaller initial investment than when you buy the next one (LIKE KIDS with shoes at that age, they grow out of them quickly). You can invest a little more and get a KTM 65 / 85 or something. Much more $$$ but you will have a better Idea before making such a commitment.

I think Honda's XR line of bikes are about the best for beginners. 50, 70, 80, 100. Plenty of used ones out there, durable, easy to work on. I guess Yamaha's TTR line would be about the same. Go to a local practice track and look at what the other kids are putting around on. Maybe he can sit on a couple and get an idea what fits. Good luck and have fun. Wear a helmet.

I would recommend a XR70 or CRF70. Mellow power, but fun to ride. Must shift gears, but no clutch. Can't go wrong. Used for $600-$800 I'd say.

I agree with the rest, CRF70 all day long will be perfect, if he gets bored with it, there are TONS of mods you can do to it to make it faster till hes ready for the big bikes! Good luck and dont skimp on the gear!

CR500, this is the real world kid! kidding, any of the trail bikes would be a good choice for a first ride. xr70, ttr90, ttr110 etc etc.

Thanks u all for the great advice! I live in Lorain so I figured I would haveu to get a quiet bike,not to many places to ride around here.took him to meadowmarks Sun and he had a blast! Thanks again

I live in vermilion and have a ktm jr 50 a ttr50 and a kx 65 id be willing to let him try out if you want to see what might fit him. I bought the ttr for my then 7 yr old and it fit him well. I might also have some gear that might fit him you could have. Send me a pm if your interested. Might also be willing to part with the ttr for 500.

Back