2009 CRF450R possible bottem end lockup?

JMOORE330

PR Addict
Ok guys im gonna say i know these motors 99% of the time, but this one has me stumped and i refuse to take my stuff anywhere. Ive got an 09 crf450r with 24 total hrs on it. Went to crows yesterday, pulled her outa the truck she started just fine and purred like a kitten, rode it for 3 laps ran great as it should. Went back out, rode 1.5 laps and the bike started to sound very deep and was missing and popping here and there and was losing an ungodly amount of power. Also was not revving very fast at all. BUT it was still idleing just fine, and i could of kept riding it but was scared it was gonna gernade over a jump. So i pulled off, killed the bike, and now it will not kick or bump start. It has had the cam decomp recall done. I checked for spark and it has no spark BUT when u try to kick it over it is VERY hard to kick? What does the spark have to do with kicking? Im just not really sure where to begin? This bike has always been maintained and its only been rode hard maybe 5 out of those 24hrs. Any advice, personal experience, or help would b great, thanks.

Well to get a spark the engine needs to turnover to produce electricity, which is why you need to input power in the form of a kickstart. If it is hard to kick and you can't get it to turnover, you aren't spinning the rotor enough to produce electricity for the spark.

As for why you can't kick it over, that could be a crank issue. Does it matter if it is in gear or neutral?

Yea i was thinkin maybe i wasnt kicking it fast enough but idk seems like i was lol. And no it doesnt matter if its in gear or neutral

I was thinking you weren't able to kick it over at all. So you can kick it fast enough to where there should be a spark but there isn't? If that's the case, start checking out the rotor/stator area and try and see why you aren't getting a spark.

The fact that you lost power could make sense with an electric issue, but that doesn't seem right that the engine is hard to crank over. That says you have a mechanical issue in the bottom....not sure what. Haven't had experience with this issue, just trying to get you thinking a little.

Anything would be pure speculation. No other way to go about it, you will have to start at the top and work through till you find the problem. Could be anything. Cam bearings Timing chain tensioner, Piston seizing, Rod bearing or Crank bearing, Output shaft, or Clutch. Unfortunately. Drain and Check the oil and filter for obvious Metallic shavings flakes.

Not sure if it would help but the no spark could be a sheared flywheel key? I have only seen it a few times but it does happen.

my first guess would be bent valve... your "no spark" has nothing to do with it. the only reason you have no spark is because you cant kick it over fast enough to generate the spark.

if it still ran, but just ran like crap it has to be a valve and or timing issue. but you didnt change the timing while your were riding it obviously so its gotta be a valve issue.

Yes i was thinking something in the head also. I appriciate everyones thought on this. Im just so bummed i just got this bike and it has always been maintained great and it takes a poo on me already. I havent got time to look at it yet, thats a weekend project this weekend. Ill let yall know what i find.

OK so 2 long months after i said i was gonna do it i finally tore it down pulled the valves out, no bent valves, no piston to vlave contact, thing is immaculant still. So i didnt know what to do so i assembled it torqued it all and all that good stuff, and whata u know it just so happens that now it does kick over and has lots of compression as it should. BUT now it will not fire. Is there something i should do since its fuel injected? Never had one apart till now. It sometimes backfires thru the exhaust when im kickin it tho? Almost like its outa time but i checked it twice, so it shouldnt b. Idk im just frustrated!

Plug looks ok, i am going to check spark n stuff tommorow and maybe timing ONE MORE TIME. Im still frustrated ha, i just wanna ride! I did notice my hour meter was reading, when i was kicking it, so i assume the coil is still good? Or is that a bad assumtion? Once again bike has 26.9 hrs so idk lol

Remember "4 stroke!" top dead center twice for each cam once. Very easy to get 180 out.
Cam lobes should be facing approx 10 and 2 away from each other on the compression stroke then check TDC.
As someone mentioned above its worth checking the stator??? It won't hurt to check. check inside of the cover for any signs of wear or rubbing both stator cover, and on the clutch cover. Just from what u described. Just CYA. Hope u get r done

Well i may have been 180 out.... whoopssyy! She fires and runs great, BUT still scares me because i never found the initial problem from the start? Just took it out apart checked everything out and put it back together? Only thing i can think of is that the decomp thing on the cam might have been stuck idk, it runs so ill worry bout if it breaks again. Thanks to all of you guys for ur insight and opinion.

Yea i was thinkin maybe i wasn't tossing it fast enough but idk seems like i was lol. And no it doesn't problem if its in devices or neutral

Back