Finally healed....now any advice?

KTMkarl794

PR Addict
Well 4 long months have finally passed, physical therapy has gone well, and it's time to finally swing a leg over the ol' girl again. For the first time in 26 years, an injury has actually made me think twice about getting back on the bike and twisting it untill it won't twist anymore, because I feel like I'm 60 when I wake up and have to listen to my back snap crackle and pop while I stretch. (For anyone who doesn't know I broke my T4-T7 and my right scaphoid while at ram jam this winter) Suprisingly the wrist is more of a concern than my back at the moment.

There's a few things I need to get settled before I start pounding out some laps this summer, new helmet, tires, and braces, lots of braces! Curious on everyone's opinion of the manufacturers of helmets that haven't been making helmets for ages (ie fox, msr, shift, thor) I want to sack up and buy another Shoei since it saved my life and my face back in '01, but $575 for a helmet on top of tires, a new sub frame, new bars, knee braces, plastics, and soon to be wrist brace, lets just say I better find a good corner to stand on....

Does anyone out there ride with a wrist brace? If so which one, and how do you like it, how much does it restrict your ability to brake/corner?

Whats the general verdict on tires for Ohio's lovely rock hard clay that can sometimes be moist and tacky (I used to LOVE michelin S12's when I lived in michigan and red bud/baja/dutch were my frequent playgrounds, tried the dunflop geomax down here last season and they have been terrible, poor traction, chunking, etc)

Anyone use the full body armor suits instead of chest protectors, how do you like them?

This year I'm going to be prepared for battle! Any input helps, see you all at the track soon! Braaaap!

I wear an All Sport Dynamics OTS wrist brace on my left hand. You can limit some of the movement in some directions. I don't even notice it's there anymore.
file_83_1.jpg

I have Thor Force 2 and Arai VX Pro, would recommend either of the two. Really like Arai best, fits close to my face and super light.

Love my Arai too, but they are over $600 now. The FOX helmets for like $375 are great too. As long as they are DOT and Snell 5 approved they are good. At that point it is then style, weight, materials etc that push up helmet prices.

Wow, 4 months after that and you're already thinking about riding again? First place I'd start is Church this Sunday:)

One Industries makes a nice affordable helmet. You'll hate the full body suit unless it's winter. You'll die of heat exhaustion before you get hurt.

As far as getting back on the bike you'll have to decide if and when that's right for you. I just took a 5 month vacation. What I've experienced, seen and I always tell people is that the body heals before the head. Expect some mental barriers and recovery long after you're physical injuries have healed.

Good luck!

See if your dr. will right you a prescription for the wrist brace. The allsport or I believe CTi makes wrist braces. Cti also makes great knee braces if you can get a prescription for them as well. As for the helmet, that would be the last place you should skimp. I would recommend and Arai or a Shoei. My family will never wear a one industries helmet again after my husband got a pretty serious concussion with one on. My daughter also got a concussion with one on and she hits the ground a lot. That helmet was the only one that she came away with a concussion. I did a lot of research on helmets after that and that has happened more than once with them. I know you can get a concussion in the other 2 as well, but the severity of it will be lessened with a blow to the head.

Nothing fits like an Arai, I will never wear another brand. Also, I think that DOT and Snell are minimum standards. My understanding is that ARAI exceeds these standards by a bunch. I have no data to support my claim, just what I hear. Take it for what its worth. On the flip side, I dont think any helmet will prevent all head injuries. But im not chancing it, you only get one head.

the past few years ive knocked my head on the ground real good with both one industries and 661 helmets (they are both owned by one now, so id almost assume they are made by the same people) affordable, comfortable, and definitely have done their job several times for me.

actually i just checked the 661 site and it doesnt look like they are selling helmets, which makes sense because one does. they do have some knee braces and wrist braces and a lot of options for upper body protection.

for tires im trying out the geomax's currently. im running a 31 (soft) on the front, which seems to be holding up fine. i DESTROYED my 51 rear (intermediate) down in georgia on some hard pack. came up here and it started chunking righ tafter. just put another one on to try it, if it doenst hold up ill try a 71 and see how that holds up...

What makes me not so willing to shell out the cash for the Shoei is an article I read a while back stating that after one solid crash (with head to ground impact), you should replace your helmet anyway because at that point the structural integrity of the helmet has been compromised. If that's the case I'm going to need at least 5 helmets a year! Anyone else heard this?

That one bad crash rule goes for all helmets.

Defiantly get yourself some prescriptions for knee braces and such.

Greg Cameron wears the body suit. He likes it. Maybe he can talk about it.

Glad you are healed up. I've been there before as well, getting injured enough to think I wasn't going to ride again.

I actually have one of the All Sport Dynamics braces for the RIGHT wrist if you want to try it. I broke my arm a few years ago right at the end of the bone by the wrist, so it was almost like a broken wrist. I used that brace for a while until my strength came back. I have not used it for a long time so like I said you are welcome to try it out.

This year I have a couple of the One Industries Atom helmets. I love them. They are light, comfortable, and still meet all the accepted safety requirements. And yes after a really good head-hitting crash you should consider that helmet done and retired.

While I cant help much with the braces, I will give you my input on the helmets.. I LOVE Shoei's, but like you, the cost is killer.. I tried on a ton of different helmets recently and landed on one that felt comparable to the comfort department of the Shoei.. The Fly F2 Carbon helmet.. Its light and fits really well.. I tried every brand at Kames and then some and settled on this helmet.. Could buy 2 of them for the price of one Shoei..

Pit - Thanks and yes I would love to try out the wrist brace, maybe we can arrange a test fitting at a track of your choice, just let me know where your riding and I'll make it out there. I talked to a friend of mine today that is a Physicians Assistant that could possibly write a prescription for the braces, I'll just need to figure out what brand and model before we give it a go. Hopefully that will save me some cash, if I can save some money on the wrist and knee braces I might be able to afford some beer for after my first ride!

Meister thanks, I'll have to check out the Fly Helmet along with Kames, only dealerships I've been to in Ohio are Rick Roush (don't even get me started on that place) and Holeshot KTM in Akron. I've normally ordered most of my stuff with Jim over at Championship Powersports on the west side of Ohio as I used to see him and his son at the races a lot in michigan and he would usually help me out on price, great guy.

Back