What is a local announcers primary function:

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
Just curious what everyone thinks a local race announcer's primary function at the event is....

Feel free to answer the poll and post your comments.

In a perfect world,

First, notify riders like option two.

Second, follow the action. Leaders, mid pack battles, and name their sponsors if you can.. (I could put in here too that if you have time after a race has ended and the next moto has yet to go, name off the riders on the gate and their sponsors)

Third, thank the track sponsors and talk about raffles, future raffles, the rider appreciation a local track has to offer, things like that..

If theres time, rider interviews are cool. Next practice or race event updates. Current pro SX or MX stats or latest industry news.

My .02 off the top of my head..

Announce riders on gate. Call race. mention sponsors if there are any. Maybe interview winner like TV land does. Don't need an all night rant like one track I know of.

Im a firm believer in number 2. Most of the tracks lack calls to the gate. Crow did a really good job this year calling gates at their qualifier this year.

Im not so concerned about rider interviews, its neat and all, but at a local level I dont see many other people being interested. But on the other hand, it does bring a little boost to the rider and family. Mostly for the kids, dont really think any older riders are too worried about an interview. Most of them look forward to getting back to the pit to catch a breather! lol.

Definately call out the rider sponsors, when I was trying to get help that was my number one seller! "Well, I will have your name annouced every race that your supporting me."

I thing a good ol preaching about the C class rules would be nice, and do this while they are lining up at the gate. There are some big name super mini riders racing C class this year lol. But if that dosent work going thru the line up is kinda cool. I think the anouncer at Baja is the coolest one ever he just talks about the riders kinda cracks jokes and plays music also down at Dade city in Fl they play music over the PA and it is awsome it gets the fans pumped up aswell as the riders. Its all about getting everyone pumped up and music is the best way.

At most places, considering its such a strain to even hear and underdstand what announcers are saying, its 2, and in between teh end of one race and the start of another. The only places I can even partially undertsand an announcer is when they have speakers in the pits, which are far from the track. At a place like Summit Indoors, they just add to the noise level as I can only hear them when no bikes are running, so to be having a conversation or interview with somebody on the mic is useless, along with commentary while they are racing. you just can't hear it.

I do wish they would all do a low power broadcast you could tune in on your truck radio, or portable with headphones in the stands instead of relying soley on poor sound quality PA speakers trying to get enough volume to get over the bike noise. Then you could do all those things above effectively.

so to be having a conversation or interview with somebody on the mic is useless

There is alot more out there than just summit and smith rd. Melvern has a set up where they can use more mic time. Alot of track we go to have rider interviews and it it very cool.

have to keep the program moving numero uno. Run through names of riders and sponsors on gate. Upcoming events. People at track contributing...Moto x, Raffles, Race Sponsors, Tees for sale, Photographers, etc. Interviews and specialized things is icing on the cake. Not a fan of hearing the announcer all the time, silence is good from time to time. The announcer is actually a tough job and can set the tone for the event.

Looks like the #2's have it... other then line-ups, sponsors and current race action, i suppose a few and I mean a few interviews would work out fine. Thinking the A class and youth rider interviews. If it turns into a thanking sponsors interview I could care less. I enjoyed when young riders just talked about the racing.
Preaching about the "C" class issue is simply never gonna change anything. Been the same issues for 30+ years...

#2 as no one would want to ever miss a moto!

Unless you are parked under a speaker you can't hear much over the bike noise anyway.

Alright, here is my take:

The primary announcers function is to call everyone to the line, notify the surrounding areas of the moto number on the track and on the gate. 1st Call, 2nd Call and Last Call's are the main reason for a local announcer.

Believe it or not, most of the time at local races the racing itself isn't extremely exciting. There aren't any do-or-die white knuckle battles going on out there. Most its the leader.....count to 12, the guy in second......count to 15.....the guy in 3rd, count to 10 another group of 5 or 6 people that don't really pass or do anything exciting.

I try to make it a point to announce the exciting racing, and what I see on the track.
I try to get names of people right. (And I encourage anyone to come tell me how to pronounce their names when I'm announcing.)

I try to announce as much as I see. But it goes back to I always announce what moto's are on the track, on the gate and the calls.....that has to be announced.

What an announcer does not have to do:
I don't have to announce your business to sell your product. Are you paying me to do so? As far as i'm concerned the only business I'm obligated to announce are the CRA (at CRA sanctioned events) and direct sponsors of the event. Don't come up to me (or any other announcer for that matter) and try to abuse the advertising.

If you want mic time, bring a wad of cash with you and I'm sure I'll find some empty slots to advertise for you. But don't come up to the booth, rant and rave that I don't announce your business or sponsors enough. Because we all know that your 15% off Hookit sponsership is really going to stop selling your Gear or parts. At the end of the 15% is still over the cost it is to supply you the product. You're not getting sponsered, you're getting duped into buying product thinking you're getting a great deal.

And finally,
Don't acuse of the announcer of being Biased. We're not. We call what we see. If you have the odacity to come up and tell me I didn't announcer your "rider" enough then by all means, go take it up with the track promoter and see if they'll get you on board for the remainder of the events. Let's hear your voice on the mic and see if you can maintain a smooth night.

The announcer isn't there for one person. It's there for the entire show. And unless it's a pro day....expect not alot to be said when people come through the finish single file lap after lap.

And again, don't come up to me and tell me it's my obligation to annoucne your business because you slapped a sticker on the bike and paid a 25 dollar entry to race. Call up a radio station and ask them how much it costs for 1 30 second ad over the airways.

Usually the races I agree to announce there are about 1,000 or more people through the gate. So if you want advertisement you're not getting it for free and I won't put up with BS.

This is the same as people complaining to guys that take photos of people: "You didn't take pictures of me because you're biased and know I'm faster than everyone!" Grow up people. Buy yourself an AMA card, go to a couple regionals/nationals get smoked and see if anyone knows your name in the sport of motocross. Otherwise shut your mouth, get to the gate when you're supposed to and impress with me your ability to ride and that's exactly how you'll hear your name over the loud speaker.

God Baker you hit evrything on the head there.. I cant tell you how many times I've been announcing and poeple tired everything you mentioned.. I belive your knowlage of racing is awsome, And you dont need a poll you need to do what you have always done and thats kill it on the mic, Its fun I miss it see ya around man

Josh Atzemis Forever #119

There is alot more out there than just summit and smith rd. Melvern has a set up where they can use more mic time. Alot of track we go to have rider interviews and it it very cool.

Malvern is who I was thinking of when I mentioned being able to hear from the pits when you are away from the track.

I just think it would be so great to be able to hear the announcer on your FM radio like they did at drive in movie theaters during their final days.

You better anounce my boys name more at the next race alot more and any time i come up Im grabing the mic and yelling DAvis sucks lolo. I wouldnt want to that job.

Back