Rekluse Clutch

Glassy

PR Member
I am thinking about putting one on my 08CRF450. I raced motocross growing up until I was 22 and got out of it until this year (turning 35 in a month!). Although I love my CRF450, I have a terrible problem stalling the bike in tight corners and the bike gets a little rough handling in 2nd gear if the track is not groomed really well. My theory is that I can hit the corners in 3rd gear making the corners smoother and get better traction to the rear tire instead of the rear tire trying to slide out in a lower gear due to the pure torque the 450's have.

I will add that even though I have been riding the 450 4 stroke for a few months now, my mind is still programmed on a 2 stroke clutch and I have to mentally remind myself not to slip the clutch on the 4 stroke. I just think it would be so much easier to ride in a higher gear and get on the gas.

For those of you who have ridden a conventional clutch vs the Rekluse in motocross, what are your thoughts? Also, does it reduce arm pump since you dont have to really mess with the clutch when riding?

Thanks in advance

I would just advise you to change up sprockets and your gearing ratio's, sounds to me that would be better than dropping the dough on a rekluse clutch.

I had a Full Hinson Clutch basket system in the yz450 i rode and loved it, but it wasnt a slip clutch,

Well I just dropped the dough this morning to order it. I didnt buy the full conversion, only the kit that replaces the non friction plate and springs.

It should be here on Thursday and installed Friday. I will update as to how well I like it and if it makes riding the 450 easier.

You should be able to lug through turns in just about any gear on the 450....

Even in tight corners just a flick of the clutch and any gear from 1st-4th will probably rip your arms out. That 450 definitely won't fall on its face like a 2 stroke.

I'd be interested in hearing what you think after you install it. MXA gave the EXP model a good review.

I had the older z-start pro on a 2006 YZF450 and it did make the bike hard to stall but there was a known issue with that bike using the z-start pro...after installing the clutch, the bike would too often do a little cough and flame out thing when getting on the gas after slowing down. I called Rekluse and they offered to refund me on the purchase or suggested I send my carb to Zip-Ty racing for a specific carb mod to address that problem. Sure enough, after having the carb mod done, no more flame out when getting on the gas.

For mx, I couldn't quite get used to what seemed like inconsistent engine braking coming into corners. Depending on how you let off the gas, the bike would either free wheel or have engine braking and I couldn't get a handle on that. That may be something that relates to the z-start pro and not the EXP version. One scary situation that I put myself in....if you pull over to talk with someone while the bike is idling and in gear, since you're not pulling the clutch in your mind might tell you that it's in neutral. Watch out for that because if you blip the throttle thinking it's in neutral the bike might jump out from underneath you!

Firedan...I could see how the z-start might be more compatible with a 2 stroke since 2-strokes don't flame out or have much engine braking.

Oh...if you happen to have any issues or questions, the people at Rekluse are super helpful. When I was talking with someone about the flame out situation they asked me to look at the clutch housing and asked if it had holes in certain spots. When I told them there were not any holes, they said they'd send me a revised part that had holes which provided better oil flow. Felt like they went above and beyond when it came to product support.

I have a Revloc system on my CRF450. I tore my thumb and tendons in a wreck and had trouble with my clutch hand after surgery. Was about to quit riding when someone suggested an automatic clutch. Awesome! Will never own another bike without one. Most are tunable to allow the rider to set up clutch engagement. Rekluse let's you override the clutch with your lever, Revloc did not. However, I got such a killer deal on it I figured I would try it. After first ride I came home and removed my clutch lever and cable! One extra bonus, I'm going on 3 seasons on the same clutch plates - normally needed to change each season. You will love it.

+1 On what Mooch said about the Rekluse support staff. I called just to order the clutch cover gasket and the guy started talking to me about adjusting it correctly. Very helpful.

I rode a 250F with a Rekluse, not sure what model. I didn't have to use the clutch when stopping or taking off, but the clutch still had a feel to it. Also when riding it didn't feel any different. I believe it was the EXP but I'm not positive.

I rode a 250F with a Rekluse, not sure what model. I didn't have to use the clutch when stopping or taking off, but the clutch still had a feel to it. Also when riding it didn't feel any different. I believe it was the EXP but I'm not positive.

I have the z-start pro in my '10 CRF450... and I LOVE it. Makes everything a lot easier.

Update: I received the EXP 2.0 kit and installation was a breeze. It actually took 15 minutes to install after I looked over my bike specific instructions and watched the 6 minute online video. Once installed I held my breath as I started the bike and shifted into 2nd gear without using the clutch and the bike didnt stall.

I will be tearing up some dirt this weekend and I will updated after I get a ride on the bike!

Never rode a REKLUSE

I am old school and try to solve My riders problems cost effectively!

Hell, I would have stuck a flywheel weight on the bike for $120 and maybe cranked up the idel a bit ! My rider has nothing NEW to learn (REKLUSE) Just try to solve the problem!

Raced CR500 before and oh GOD, could the fire go out on tight corners ! A little weight on the flywheel made it great !

Just My opinion!

Well I raced my CRF450 this weekend. The Rekluse clutch did great. I did lay the bike over in a corner and it didnt stall. Just had to pick it up and take back off.

The only problem I had was this: I kept reaching for the clutch out of habit! I finally stopped reaching for the clutch and I didnt have near as much arm pump as I did without it.

And cornering is soooooo much easier and smoother since the bike can go through a corner in 3rd gear instead of 2nd which makes it so much easier to handle.

I think I am really going to like this clutch kit, probably wont have a bike without it. I just hope I can stop reaching for the clutch......

Well I raced my CRF450 this weekend. The Rekluse clutch did great. I did lay the bike over in a corner and it didnt stall. Just had to pick it up and take back off.

The only problem I had was this: I kept reaching for the clutch out of habit! I finally stopped reaching for the clutch and I didnt have near as much arm pump as I did without it.

And cornering is soooooo much easier and smoother since the bike can go through a corner in 3rd gear instead of 2nd which makes it so much easier to handle.

I think I am really going to like this clutch kit, probably wont have a bike without it. I just hope I can stop reaching for the clutch......

Oh you will. I haven't reached for it in ages. Kind of a bad habit though because sometimes you'll go into a corner a gear too high and instead of clutching you just pin it and stall :( Happens sometimes to me.

My son is 10 and just getting the hang of using a clutch. Do you think the clutch will be phased out? I don't want to waist his time learning to use it if it's soon to become a thing of the past. The Rekluse sounds as it it's a definite advantage in races.

I would just counsel you to modify up sprockets and your gearing ratio's, appears to be to me that would be better than losing the money on a rekluse clutch i465 black.

blackjack-I don't think that the clutch will phase out. The rekluse clutches are amazing, but with a higher price tag its kind of like an aftermarket exhaust. not everyone will have one due to the cost. I would still teach your son, then he always knows.

blackjack-I don't think that the clutch will phase out. The rekluse clutches are amazing, but with a higher price tag its kind of like an aftermarket exhaust. not everyone will have one due to the cost. I would still teach your son, then he always knows.

Yep, let him learn all he can is good advise IMHO too. The more he knows and experiences the more he will have to draw on in the future...

Back