Injury Update

Meister

PR Founding Father
Well, now that ive got some time to give to a computer and not my cell phone, I figured I would update my friends on here who have asked about Courtney lately..

I already had a LONG post typed up but when I tried to send it, my session was timed out and it got completely lost. Anyway to change that Pit? Ive even hit save password but it still does it.

Anyways, its crazy how that in this sport, so much can change from one day to the next. As some of you may or may not know, my girlfriend Courtney wrecked pretty hard on Wednesday at Malvern.

We picked up a new quad about 2 weeks ago. On Tuesday Court and I talked about hitting up Malvern on Wednesday. I bailed out of work about 430 on Wednesday and got home, loaded up, and headed off.. I rode in the big quad practice and Court was riding the Womens/Mini practice. It was going good and both of us were really diggin the set up.. Courts 2nd practice out she was riding well and on the 2nd lap coming out of the woods section she slowed up to tell the flaggers there was a little one that fell down in the bottom and to flag. She starts another lap and some friends and I were talking. I had kind of lost track of Court (im like a mini parent while watching her!) and then noticed some people kind of blocking people from going into the woods section. I did a scan of the track and didnt see Court. At first I figured she was helping out the little tike that was there the lap before. Less than a minute went by and I figured I had better go check to see. Then I got an ill feeling in my stomach and thought maybe she wrecked so I ran to the top of the hill. The gut hit the floor. New white quad way down the hill all mangled and Court laying motionless in the middle of the track 3/4 of the way down the hill. This fat guy never made it down a hill so quick in his life. She was completely knocked out and from what I hear had just quit convulsing as I crested the hill. I got to her and she started kind of waking up. She was really out of it and asking odd questions which was obviously typical for the situation. We started asking questions like what hurt and where we were. She had some funny answers at first. Once she asked if her double chin as showing and if she was going to get fired from her 1 day old Vet Tech job, I knew the thinker started working right. We kept her still to find out what hurt. She was kind of moving around and said her hip and her head hurt. Once she started moving a little bit she asked to take her helmet off, which can be very scary. She was persistant that she just wanted it off becuase the strap was tight on her throat the way she was laying. We gently slid her helmet off without moving her much at all to support her head and neck. Now ive been through all of this (both sides of it) numerous time, but this was pretty damn scary. She tried to lay flat on her back and when she did that, we/she knew something wasnt right and it was going to be a trip in the box van with lights. Once the ems guys got there they put the c collar on her and put her on the back board to get her up the hill. These guys did a good job and if they happen to read this, sorry if I was an ass at all. Adrenaline and shock may have had something to do with that. Court was in real pain and everyone did a good job making the situation the best they could. We ended up at Aultman and were there till Saturday. She ended up with a bad concussion, a bruised left lung (that she couldnt feel), and 4 broken lower lumbar vertebra. The small peices that stick out away from the spine had been broken off. The Dr. said that she was in no danger of spinal cored related issues, which was a relief. No surgery was required but it will be a rough and tough healing process for her. She is a tough cookie and doing OK considering. She has to use a BMW to get around (but thanks to from friends, they pimped out a Big Metal Walker for her equipped with a horn, bell, and a basket. She has to be in a recliner or a bed set up with pillows in the right places. She actually ventured onto the deck tonight under an EZ up to watch some friends ride here at the house. Vicodin and Valium are her friend right now on a regular schedule. With no insurance and limited income due to school that she just finished up, she is a bit worried about bills and her new job opportunity that may end up a thing of the past (anyone need a vet tech in a few weeks for light duty in the canton area?). Which leads me to a question that many have faced. Is it worth it? I have been through it and have seen many friends go through it. She says she cant wait to ride next spring as the Dr. says it`ll be a few months or more before shes getting back to normal, but its still scary, specially if the injuries were any worse.

I just want to thank Jason, Jimmy, and the whole Malvern crew and friends for the help at the track and kind words while in Aultman. Its nice to know that there are always people like Jason and the crew at the tracks to help out in situations like this.

The scan from above

courtbackabove.jpg

X ray from the front

courtbackside.jpg

Her and her first BMW on Saturday before we left after loading up on Vicodin and Valium for the rough ride home

courthosp.jpg

Glad to see that she is okay. Don't know you personally, but I never want to see anyone hurt. I have just recently started riding again myself within the last 10 months, and I had quit riding for a very long time... Some may remember the accident at malvern back in 98 of the young man who died jumping out of the gravity cavity. That was one of my very best friends and that day forever changed me. I have not rode once up until these last ten months and it has taken a long time to "overcome the demons" that have haunted me for years. Call it fear if you want, or call me a wuss, I don't care. But where as I had little fear back then, it scares the hell out of me now because I realize what can be lost. There is no perfect answer to the question "Is it worth it?", there is only "Do I want to live, or do I want to wonder if?" Don't want to make this post about me, just throwing my 2 cents out. Hoping for a speedy and fast recovery and love and live your life to the fullest.

I remember that day however I was not there. The ripples from that were felt much further from there at the track that day. I just told the story to some friends who asked about the old gravity cavity actually. Glad to see your back riding though. Keep it fun and safe.

4am pain killer time for Court is the reason I am up. I make a good "nurse" too. Heh

Thanks for the update Jerod, although you and I have talked I am sure there are a ton of people out there wondering. I have had a few people ask me at TV land this weekend. It is good to see Courtney smiling as usual. You most likely didn't know this but that was my youngest son who had gone down and been run over. He was sitting at the top of the hill, pretty roughed up and crying. When Courtney went down that was a tough situation. As a father you don't want to leave you son but for the moast part he was ok and it was apparent she needed as much help as possible (not that I could do much other than call the squad). Bottom line is we are all very relieved she is or will be ok. This sport we all love is definitely a double edged sword. Jason

Man, I'm glad she's alright. As alright as she can be for that situation....

Call the hospital or the medical Biller and negotiate a price with them. That's all insurance companies do. They will work with you.

You can get a 7000 dollar surgery cut to like 2600 or so. And with a payment plan ontop of that.

Thanks for the good words guy..

George, we are filling out the hcap papers and hoping for the best.

Jason, your right, I didn't know your son was down. Court says she had only seen a little guy that just fell over in the bottom and was up n couldn't get his bike up. Especially in the given situation, I really appreciate the help. Hope your boy is ok..

Thoughts and prayers Meister to your girl....And as far as no insurance....Dude any kind of alcohol related fund raiser later on..Seems to be a good job...My friend was in a real bad way after something like this.[worse outcome] but I held a fundraiser type deal...Anf the MOTO people came out and showed support.....so just a thought...we all stick together so.......

Thanks dude.. Shes still about the same. Not bad when resting or sitting still, but painful trying to move. Had people over ridin again yesterday and she got the stubborn vicodin courage going and wanted to hobble track side and watch the kids for a bit. She hobbled out pretty decent, but she was paying for it later on and this morning when I left for work. When people are around and her mind is off of it, she doesnt seem to bad, but once we got inside it started hitting her pretty good. Gonna have to tie her to the bed or recliner soon.

Wow...I've been super busy and just saw this!
Best wishes to Courtney in her recovery....
....take good care of her, she's a keeper..

Sorry to hear about the accident! Of course, you're so right about unfortunate stuff happening so quickly that can place a bump in the road for us. Wishing Courtney the best with her recovery!

Thanks for the kind words guys! Shes toughing it out. Ups and downs but starting to move a LITTLE easier.

Sorry, major ouch & hope she does ok as know first hand back & neck injuries are the worst to recover from.

Been in the no insurance boat when I was younger also....sitting her thinking about bike insurance as we have (2) dirt & (1) street bike fully insured for just over
200 bucks a year with 250/500 libality & 10 grand of medical pay coverage which may be a grey area to use for mx but would be a safety net for those with out
any medical insurance.

Thanks for the good words guy..

George, we are filling out the hcap papers and hoping for the best.

QUOTE]

If you need any help figuring out bills, especially any ambulance bills, shoot me a text. That's what I do 12-14 hours a damn day (LOL). After 18 years of it, I've gotten pretty good at it too.

Glad she is going to be OK and recovering.

As to whether it is worth it I guess I say you have to live your life. You can die for any number of stupid reasons and not of your own fault any time. We have all seen it happen unfortunately. So I say live your life, no one gets out alive! To paraphrase Steve Jobs, Death is a great motivator. Since I am already dead in the end what do I have to lose.

But while you live your life be prepared for death and know where you will spend eternity. I can watch Dan go down the track at nearly 200 mph knowing if it ends badly he will be doing something he loves and the Lord will take care of the rest. But that does not mean we dont prepare and try to minimize the risks...but risk cannot be eliminated totally from life.

Notorious

Back