What is this?

k01

PR Elite
what.jpg

What motor? What bike?

If I remember correctly , the 1978 RM 250 C2 that I restored for a buddy had a single reed setup similar to that ,

Suzuki used that type of reed setup on their air-cooled motors through the late 70s. Bore size would narrow it down (up?) to at least a 250, as stated above. Too big to be a 125 IMO.

I thought the ATKs usd a rotary valved Rotax. Thought rotaries didn't use reed valves at all.

Suzuki used that type of reed setup on their air-cooled motors through the late 70s. Bore size would narrow it down (up?) to at least a 250, as stated above. Too big to be a 125 IMO.

I thought the ATKs usd a rotary valved Rotax. Thought rotaries didn't use reed valves at all.

Im going with early liquid cooled RM 125 84-85, cylinder is liquid cooled and the liquid cooled RM 250's has the normal twin sided reed block. 81-83 Bases are more curved if my memory is right

John, you must be right if you've got a cylinder setting on your bench that looks like this. For some reason though, those big flat head screws holding down the reed cage don't look like anything Japanese?

Does the bottom side of the reed feed into the case and the top side of the reed feeds the intake?

Mike had the bike right, it's the intake side, bottom of the cylinder of my '93 ATK 406. After snapping a pic, I thought that it looked weird, just like the rest of the bike! Those reeds just supply the transfers. There's a big, bridged intake port in the normal postion. It's a 399 cc Rotax but the 250 was a rotary valve motor.

Back