halffast is added to the injury list

mx049

PR Elite
halffast unfortunately broke his right tib & fib yesterday afternoon, had surgery later in the day & hope the best for him.

Major bummer as this was his good leg as the other side already had pins in it.

Wishing him a speedy recovery & hope he heals up ok as he is in the older bunch on here.

Plan to call him this evening & will update on his status.

Maico Mark

Well bummer, good luck with rehabbing the leg Halffast!

Not that it really matter...was this a ridin injury?

Damn, hate to hear that.
We need all the Vet and vintage riders we can get, and surely can't afford to be busting bones at our ages.

I can't imagine how, but I wish the best for your recovery. (And I hope you have a good story to go with this?).

Probably took your mind off your hip and sciatic nerve issues for a spell didn't it? :)

Crap.... Randy....now what did you go an do!? Hope it was a closed fracture and you heal quick......sounds like crutches are the ride at Mid-Ohio next month?? Better reserve a golf cart early so you can terrorize the swap meet!

Talked to Randy last night, he had to have plates & screws plus major bummer as his diabetes was giving him fits and he was worried about his eyes as that is an on going problem for him.

He said he did not go down but rather clipped his foot on a rut or something as the 74 Husky sits fairly low.

This was hurting him more after surgery as anyone with screws knows they don't feel too good in the bones for a long time plus they have to cut thru quite a few things to get in there.

Hope he heals up ok as this was his good leg with the other one still bothering him from around 10 years ago plus bummer as he said he is done riding but know where he is coming from
all to well there as it sounds like a new group of bench racers is forming.

Maico Mark

Thanks for all the good wishes , guys .

As Mark said I was on the old 250 Husky for its first shake down ride of the year . Had made a few changes and just wanted to test them out . Was going through a little dog-leg from one turn to the next , the rear skipped out a tiny bit , just enough to allow the toe of my boot to catch on a rut ( think my foot was on the peg but it might have been in front of it .) This has happened to all of us many times I'm sure . It hurt but I didn't crash and thought it had only taken a " pop " . Went into the next turn and tried to hit the rear brake but missed the pedal .When I looked down I realized why : foot was pointing off at a 45 degree angle . Rode back to the trailer , got off the bike, and even put a little weight on the foot but knew it was bad . Funny but the pain ( at least at that time) wasn't all that much . Thought maybe it was just dislocated .At the hospital the Xrays showed the ankle dislocated , tib and fib fractured and subluxed ( ? whatever that is ) in four places . They tried to reset it a couple times ( without pain meds - WOW! ) but it wasn't happening . An orthopedic surgeon came in to do surgery right away due to my diabetes . It was supposed to take about an hour but it took him two . He said it was a very complicated surgery and I now have a crapload of hardware in there . Said that he put a plate and screws on one of the fractures but when he stressed the bone to test it , the fracture shot farther up the bone and then spread to the sides so he had to install another , larger plate .

I am in a real battle to recover now and am not ashamed to say I'm a bit scared . My diabetes causes many complications with healing . The trauma has caused my sugars to go skyhigh. The meds I'm on for pain cause some liver problems which also affects the sugar . This is bad enough for the breaks to heal but what has me so concerned is my vision . I have diabetic retinopathy ( basically the blood vessels in your retina start leaking into the vitreous of the eye and can cause blindness ) which first developed from complications of breaking my other ankle ( even worse ) about ten years ago . They have shot lasers into each of my eyes over 2,000 times ( yes 2,000 ) during the past few years to stop progression of the retinopathy by sealing off the leaky vessels . This has already cost me a lot of vision quality . I'm praying that I don't lose any more or have liver/kidney damage .

This is a life altering injury for me . Hopefully my recovery will be complete and fast . No matter how it turns out I have decided that I just can't afford the risk of riding anymore . We all know that it is in our blood no matter what our skills or accomplishments . I had quit for over 20 years because of injuries . New technology of medicine and protective equipment allowed me to come back . The other ankle injury caused me to give up modern bikes and stick to " safer " vintage riding . I hope to stay involved in the sport in some way but do not know what that will be yet . Halffast was never really more than Quarterfast anyway , but now will have to be Nofast .

Man, not much one can say to help, but I too hope you heal complete and encounter no further complications.

If it makes you feel any better, I broke the same leg (not even close to the severity of your break) twice without falling. Once in a rut like you said, 3 turns after the start at Scenic, and once landing the finish line at Scenic. Just caught the tip of my boot both times just right and POP. Like you, it didnt hurt at first but I HEARD that pop and knew something happened.

Keep your head up!

Bummer to hear. The diabetes thing is scary because I know I have those things to look forward to as I get older. I'm only 25 now but I know its just going to get worse. I don't think its slowed down my healing time too much yet, but the pain/stress/meds definitely made my sugar pretty hard to control for a while throughout injury/recovery.

Best of luck to you!!!!

Vintage bikes just weren't built to take on ruts like modern motocross machinery. Your mishap may seem freaky but is entirely understandable.

Take care Randy and enjoy a speedy recovery. Your sound decision on future riding was unfortunately made for you by circumstances beyond your control. But please don't stop PitRacing. Your insight (or would that be incite) is too valuable!

Back