Back on

Same here.
Talking with the wife, back when first married it was a rare occasion to lose power. A brownout dip every once in a while. But it has evolved into almost a yearly event now. And we live in town.

These storms nowadays are kicking our butts and getting very costly.

We lost ours here in NJ at 1am Saturday, just got it back this afternoon 4pm. Craziest weather stuff I've seen.

80 and 90 mph winds are outside of the norm for typical normal summer thunderstorms. And an oddity was that the storm traveled west to east at like 65 mph they said with high gust, yet there were trees all over the place snapped off and thrown north and south? How's that work?

And i'm thinking the National weather service missed it badly on this one as far as early public warning and severity goes. There should of been tornado sirens going off from what we seen and went through.

A lot of Licking County still out. (my moms neighborhood included, lives in Newark).
Storm tore this place up.

Major praise and thanks to all of the local and out of town line crews for working their ass's off to clean this mess up. They are sacrificing a lot being away from their families and out of town to help us.
Shame on AEP for letting the line maintenance go so bad.

A majority of these line crews are dues paying IBEW lineman. It would be nice if everyone will realize this the next time a state politician wants to strip away bargaining rights from union members.
We need these guys, in the worst times.

I remember as a kid that there used to be crews that cleared trees and limbs away from the power lines every few years on the road we lived on . Where I live now the lines had not been cleared for over 20 years and we lost power .... a lot . Last fall a crew finally came through our area , cleared the lines and we haven't lost power since ( and there have been some powerful storms ) . Almost all my neighbors have bought generators over the past few years due to the frequent outages . Probably saved the power company a pile of $$$ not routinely keeping the lines clear as in the past .

And it goes beyond just line maintanance.
I talked with a couple veteran lineman that work for AEP a while back and they said AEP isn't doing proper switch yard and distribution substation maintenance either. And theres always a manpower shortage.

Back