Yamaha MX 360 jumpimg out of 1st gear

Well.....I just finished rebuilding my MX 360 and it started on the 2nd kick (much to my chagrin). Then is one issue came about. I clicked the shifter down to 1st gear and started to let out the clutch and it moved a foot or two then jumped out of gear :confused:. I been tinkering with the shifter pawl and the adjusting screw with really no luck. It shifts and moving in 2nd, 3rd etc,etc, Any input is more than welcomed...I really do not feel like spliting the case's again, but if I must I will. Also it shifted fine 6 years ago when I tore it apart.

Yep, what k01 said. Hopefully, anyway.

Remove the oil drain plug to verify that part numbers 9 and 10 in the link above are present. If not, double check the bottom of whatever container it is that you drained the old oil into. There they will likely be.

Thanks to both of you guys....

I already checked the shift stopper cam, spring and plunger. All pieces are in their proper place and clean. I did measure the overall length of the spring and got 1.551 or converted to mm = 39.4mm. But, I can compress the plunger and spring fairly easy between my index finger and thumb. I want to ride this thing !!!!! I have never ridden it. I'm going to take the spring to work tomorrow and replace it with a stiffer one. I work for a MAJOR Welding and Welding wire company in Cleveland.

Good luck with spring. But if that doesn't help and you really want to ride, it's first gear so you can just keep your foot on the shifter. Not that that is good thing to do or that I have ever done that...

Ok Boys...I split the cases again.

I may have found the issue. I believe when I assembled the gears on the shaft, I may have inadvertently placed 5th gear on the shaft up side down. I noticed all the other gears on the shaft had prick marks on them, all facing the same way. And the prick mark on 5th gear was facing the opposite way.

Again thanks for all the great input.

Back