Water Pump Drip Drip Drip Drip!!!

PitRacer

PR Founding Father
So....it's now Wednesday night before Mid Ohio and I finally got a chance to pull out the Mighty '84 RM......hasn't been started since High Point last year and it fired up on the second kick.....check

Ripped around the yard twice, all set for Mid Ohio, check!

Oops, nice steady dripping from water pump weep hole. I have 100 billion OEM Suzuki parts in stock, but no water pump seal for that bike. Plus I really don't feel like tearing into it anyway right now.

Can I do the dreaded "silicone the weep hole shut" just to get through Mid Ohio Sunday? I need a little morning practice and 4 motos....

If you do end up tearing down, I was told one time that Isopropyl alcohol will soften hardened rubber up.

I'm in the leaker club too. My 82 YZ250 leaks coolant at the steering neck. I told myself last year that I was going to modify this water routing before the 2012 Vintage Days.

Never enough time!

Well, the water will go into the gear box if it can't drip out the hole. If you drain out any water buildup and put fresh oil in before every ride.....you may not do too much damage.
Or, Get with Mosher... he should have new OEM water pump seals. They went with the shopping cart.....

Now that I think about it….NO!!! Don’t plug the weep hole…Just let it drip and keep an eye on the coolant level.

Plugging the weep hole will not lessen the rate of coolant loss, it will just mask it. Plugging it WILL force the stuff into the gearbox though…

I say just let it drip.

Well, the water will go into the gear box if it can't drip out the hole. If you drain out any water buildup and put fresh oil in before every ride.....you may not do too much damage.
Or, Get with Mosher... he should have new OEM water pump seals. They went with the shopping cart.....

I'll bring it...I don't have a clutch cover gasket though.

Well, good news.

I have some on order and they are actually supposed to be here on Friday. I will tear the bike down tonight and replace tomorrow night.

Well, I went into Zman panic mode for nothing. Parts came this morning, I already had the day scheduled off for Mid Ohio, and the bike is all back together with a new seal. All loaded and ready to go!

Back