+50 Class

TPMX #8

PR Addict
I have been thinking alot lately about getting out and doing some riding and also start getting back into racing.
What I am wondering is what kind of turnouts does the +50 class have?
Dont want to go and then find out that class is small.
I guess though the 40 class is still pretty good size.
Just curious to how many vets are doing any racing.

It's difficult to find 50+ motocross in Southern Ohio where I do most of my racing. I was getting ready to go AHRMA racing years ago for their 50+ when GP racing got started in my area. District 11 had a points paying 50+ GP class. But GP racing is now all but gone in District 11. Action Sports and Fast Traxx still have full GP schedules. I try to hit as many of them as possible. 50+ turnout was greater two years ago like all local racing but there are still enough for a class at every race. And if the weather is good and enough old guys are in the mood, 50+ can be one of the larger classes.

Even though it was cold, raining and miserable here are the numbers from last year’s Redbud Vet Fest :
+18 A = 16
+18 B/C = 40
+25 A = 24
+25 B/C =40
+30 A = 23
+30 B/C = 40
+35 A =29
+35 B/C = 36
+40 A = 20
+40 B/C = 40

+45 A = 30
+45 B/C = 27
+50 = 26
+50 B/C = 33
+55 = 23
+60 = 13

For what it's worth, I race primarily CRA events in the 40+ class and have rarely been dissappointed with the class size. I wish i could race every weekend but time/family don't permit that. I however hit Malvern a couple times/month along with some other tracks here and there. I raced as a kid thru highschool, got away from the sport for 20+ years and when I turned 40, got a bike again and started racing. Last year was the first year hitting the tracks. In the last two years at Malvern, maybe once there were only 5 guys in the 40+ class. Pro day, a couple of weeks back, we had 19 guys in the class. I was at Smith Road on Memorial Day and the 40+ class was the largest class with 22 riders. What i've noticed is that alot of the 50+ guys around here run 40+ as well. Something worth considering if you decide to race and the 50+ class is a little thin. Also, don't think these 50+ guys are slow old men. The 40+ class has some fast guys (some ran the local pro class when i was a kid and they're still going strong) and some of these fast guys are the 50+ year olds. It's alot of fun (absolutely love it) but it takes practice and getting in shape if you want to hang with some of these old guys!

TPMX, wish I was on the +50 gate with you next spring but two auto accidents on 7-09 & 2-12 have sadly ended racing for me long before I was ready.
Always enjoyed talking to you at the track & am sure you will have more fun than you think by starting to race again so go for it while you can!!!
You should also try the Vintage racing one day as have the feeling you would really enjoy that a lot also.
Wishing you many more laps!
Maico Mark

Back