ohio valley bsa clubs meet

smitty

PR Addict
just a heads up,in 2 weeks ohio valley bsa clubs meet aug 10-1-12,vintage trials,reliability/dualsport ride and more :cool:

Hey - is street legality required for the dual sport? How street legal? Old days street legal
(plate I got,not necessarily from the bike being ridden) or really street legal (the locals check
paperwork)???

Inquiring minds want to know.

saw quite a few bikes at the june event that were questionable at best,i.e. CRF250X w/plate under stock fender,does not appear to be a lot of enforcement in the area,no tech inspection

Aug2012rally.jpg

super good time,rained on friday but that did not bother me as I got there sat morning,reliability run was good time although we did it w/o route sheets (locked w/keys in someones car,good thing I bought a route sheet holder)and no mileage or time frame to work with just maintain a 24 MPH average,great route w/ plenty of fire roads and powerline trails to ride,I stayed off the tougher off road sections as they gave you that option,I finished up in 2nd place w/a time of 2 hrs 48 min 65 miles,target was 3 hrs 18 min ,miles ?,bicycle speedo loosely calibrated to my front wheel showed an average speed of 24.1 mph,class was much bigger than before as we had 6 bikes I believe,31 bikes overall,dispite the missing route sheet a well run event,rained sat afternoon for about 30 seconds,straight downpour and then done:eek:

These events are usually organized to the point that all or most of the local law enforcement knows the dual sport will be going on. Therefore they kind of look the other way mostly. State Troopers can always be a problem. You need to have a plate, ON YOUR BIKE, not tie-wrapped to your chest protector. Now if that plate is legal, or from your Harley, or whatever, that's a different story. I'm not telling you to break the law but if you ride calmly on the roads, with respect, not speeding, wheelieing, spraying your buddies with stones, flat tracking the corners, etc. then you 99.9% of the time will have no problems with the law. If you break road laws on a dirtbike with a questionable plate, well then you could end up with, fictitious plate, no signals, no horn, no mirror, no no no charges. I've never seen that happen but it can if you go crazy on the road sections. I did get stopped one time on this ride in the small town we blow through. The local cop just looked to see IF I had a plate, and sent me on the way. So likely most plates are NOT legal but they have the appearance to be legal. These events usually raise money for the locality it is held in, so the cops want to not scare people away from future events. Except Troopers, they usually are by the book all the time. Can't help you there, just ride calmly, wave and don't attract attention and you'll be fine. And don't tie wrap your plate to anything, put it on the fender. That's a sure red flag, that I've seen several times ending in tickets. For some reason the cops don't like that, go figure!

Back