Shift hang up yz250 2 stroke

Hey guys,

Having a tech problem with my transmission on my 05 Yz 250 2 stroke :mad:. Just wondering if anyone out there can help me out. When I ride I shift in straights I don't clutch it and I don't let off the gas. I'm used to 4 strokes but I figured the 2 stroke would shift just the same. I have noticed that when I'm pinned it won't shift from 2nd to 3rd without letting off the gas. I just replaced the shift drum due to some issues with my tranny but all the other parts were inspected by 2 different people and they looked good. I have heard the gears in these bikes are very undercut as to not slip into a false neutral. This problem seems to only be from 2nd to 3rd but really that's the only time I'm really pinned on my track. I run A class so I'm really running the bike hard to give you an idea of the load the tranny is under. Any help would be amazing!

Thanks!
Dustin

Charcala?

Anyway, c'mon man you should know that without the clutch you need to let off for a second to get that shift. I've never rode a 2 stroke where I didn't either use the clutch or let off the gas a hair before catching another gear.

Good to see you back on a smoker man! See ya around!

You should be able to shift without the clutch and without letting off or even slightly moving the throttle.

Not sure whats wrong but figured I'd say that.

Really? I've never been able to shift while bein on the pipe. Always hangs up.

Whats the reasoning why it "shouldn't" hang up? I'm not sayin I don't believe it I'm just wondering why it shouldn't. And do 4 strokes shift the same way?

I'm think'n the only way to get in the next gear like this is when the power curve is signing OFF. I am not a pro racer but have ridden for a lifetime. I personally am doing what Geogie does, flip the clutch, or blip the throttle. Personally I'm thinkiing I hope I never end up with one of your old bikes. LOL!

4-stroke and 2-strokes shift the same. Pretty much what TC said, You just have to get them right when theyre starting to flatten out on top. If you get it while its still making power then there is to much load on the gears.

I know at Dirtworld I go from second to third wide open atleast 2-3 times a lap. Maybe a bent shift fork? Or did you change oils? I know I can feel a difference going from Rotella to Motorex in shifting. Gears are a lot smoother with Motorex

So I've rode since I posted last. I want to say I get shift hang up from 2-3, but can go wide open form 3 to 4, and 4 to 5. Sometimes I got 2-3. But I think I'll just continue to use the clutch and take the load off, I mean the gears gotta be slamming each other when you're wide open. Even if they're designed for that type of shifting it HAS to be harder on the gears than letting off a hair or quick clutch slip.

Even the drag bikes using air shifters (no clutch) cuts the ignition when the button is pressed allowing just enough time for the gears to mesh.
I think Power shifting (before the curve signs off) is the way to go. You'll get that extra burst when you let off the clutch with the throttle wide open as your grabbing the next gear!!!

Back