On a Borrowed Bike, Overweight and in the Dark. Delta Raceway MRA Track FUN

fmxpaul

PR Addict
Alright, for those that don't know me- I "used to be" pretty fast. Always a "hucker", would jump anything. (did a few Freestlyle FMX shows back in the day)
I'm now probably 10yrs past my prime- just coming off an injury of a broken back last year at Apple Cabin. All is good but man, I still love to ride at 43, turning 44 next week..
I always (and still do) looked up to Parma Dave, he's a "racer's racer" and one hell of a friend. That dude forgot more about cornering than I ever knew.

Beans is my "home track" and I've ridden twice since the injury last year.

Over a 12 pack, while at PDR Racing with five buddies... Friday night went deep into the conversation of "how sweet we were".

Hahaha... Drunk retards. Anyway Saturday morning arrived and I was kickin' ass and taking names. WE WERE GOING RACING. Tonight.

Night Racing. Delta Raceway near the border of Michigan, Ohio and Indiana.

Here is how it unfolded, in video form. I have been editing videos for a while and hope you all find this 10minute video entertaining. If not- post what I did wrong and I'll work on it, I'm just an amature. I usually do BMX videos because I have been riding that- for over 30+ years.

Hope you like it. We enjoyed the living s**t out of our endeavors.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/W84pY46zqJA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice vid Paul. Good balance of music volume and bike exhaust note sound. Looks like a fun track, until it got really dark. Kinda spooky racing that crap. Nice job getting ParmaDave out of the garage and onto the track too!

I really had fun. I mean, after the last year crash- I accepted that award choking back the tears, it was surreal.

Yes- PDR is back.

Will he race regularly?

That remains to be seen. I'm looking for a sweet deal on a newer 450 so I can start getting a bit quicker, I just want to ride.
I also want to rally the troops to take them with me, on this 3rd or 4th "mid life crisis"...

Quotes I heard on Saturday morning while I was rounding everyone up, to get ready to race:

"Dude- I swear I was hoping you were too drunk to remember I said I'd go".
"Man WTF, I aint driving my truck all that way, I just racked up a ton of miles this week".
"hey man I didn't drive all the way from PA to go racing"
"I don't have the money for two classes" and "I'm so out of shape I can't even hold on for one class let alone two".

Yeah- Dave and I ran 2 classes each. 5 laps, each moto took 10 minutes if you were fast. I think I did mine in about 11 minutes.

That's 2 practice sessions and with 2 classes, 20 "race pace" laps. We are going to feel it tomorrow.

Whatever- The time of my life and hardware to boot.

Dave took 1st in +35 and 2nd in +45.
I took 2nd in +35 and 4th in +45.

Kickass. Who's got my 450 for sale????

Ha - Zman and I were driving home from RedBud Saturday and gazed over at the crowd at Delta.....had no idea anyone we knew could possibly be there....

Cool video! Ur story before the video made it fun to watch. Sounds like everyone gad good time. Congrats on getting racing again. Was hoping to see dave on the 125 but by the looks of the holeshot he had the 450...

We just crossed into Ohio and I said remember that track we passed last year on our way home, maybe they are racing. I did a little research on my phone and they were, gates didn't open till 5 and it was about 4:30ish. I put that address in the GPS and we were 25 mins away. Perfect. We pulled in and they let us check things out and we decided to stay. I go back to the gate to pay the lady and a window rolls down and its Dave. Pretty crazy, never thought I would see anyone I knew there. Racing started at 8 and we were done by 10. We only ran one class, but since we had never been there I went out for 4 practices plus my 2 motos.

Not sure what those guys think, but it wasn't that bad on the track. My husband didn't say anything to me and he usually has a hard time with night tracks. He wears glasses and it's like double glare with your goggles on.

The GoPro camera made it look MUCH WORSE than it really is. It was fine- when the camera goes all black, we could still see pretty well. The digital camera was picking out the lights as the primary image and making everything else seem so dark. In reality, it's lit every bit as well as Spokes used to be, or maybe like the night races at Beans. Don't freak out if you wanted to go and thought it was too dark. It's really good. The dirt is like sand but "packed in" and the ruts moved around easily, but the jump faces stayed hard & good. A few had "kickers" in them but overall I rate it rather high and worth a race. No deep sand at all and really good traction.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/adZME36q2a0?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Day track is much bigger.

Damn- That iron man video makes me want a remote control helicopter. I'll have to get one for shots like that.

Back