Unadilla National Rd10

barrington314

PR Elite
IMG_2620.jpg

Homegrown

Whether you’re a spectator or one of his fellow competitors, Justin Barcia has always been a rider to keep an eye on. This is especially true at Unadilla in New Berlin, New York. Barcia is from New York, he’s a big fan of Unadilla and he’s always done well there. He took second in 2010, and finished third overall in the 450 Class last year. After dropping a few points to points leader Blake Baggett at Southwick, it’s a safe bet that Barcia will show up with a bit of extra juice in the tank this weekend. Let’s just hope he stays away from any trees!

The Elements
With the possibility of scattered showers coming through the area on Friday and Saturday comes the possibility of muddy, motocross mayhem. Unadilla is a track where finding the correct bike setup is already notoriously difficult, and when it rains, getting it right can be like finding a needle jet (it’s a carburetor part, look it up, kids) in a haystack. Slick and shiny dirt, a surplus of finger-busting rocks and trademark obstacles like The Wall and Gravity Cavity all conspire against the racers of the Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship at Unadilla. The varying conditions also make it a tough track to practice for. Teams that are able to nail tire and suspension setup will excel, while riders who don’t will be looking forward to Steel City before the first motos are over.

Marvelous
Due to sustaining a broken bone in his hand shortly before the beginning of the season, Red Bull KTM’s Marvin Musquin wasn’t on the short list of competitors who were likely find themselves battling for a win on any given weekend. But now that he’s had some time to heal up, Musquin’s results have been improving late in the season. He finished fourth overall after leading more than half of the first moto at Washougal and he took another fourth overall at Southwick by way of 2-5 moto scores. Look for the Frenchman to keep building on his solid results tomorrow at Unadilla.
Debut Revisited
Rookies at GEICO Powersports Honda looking to make waves in their professional debuts have big boots to fill. Josh Grant turned heads in his 2004 debut at Hangtown when he ripped the holeshot and proceeded to build a massive lead before stalling. Trey Canard won the first three supercross races of his career in 2008, and even went on to win the title that year. Barcia led a ton of laps at his debut at Glen Helen in '09. Eli Tomac won the very first race of his professional career when he went 3-1 at Hangtown in 2010. At Southwick, rookie Zach Bell kept the tradition of notable GEICO debuts going by taking the holeshot in the first moto, opening up a large lead and hanging onto it for five laps before getting passed by Tomac. Bell’s day ended shortly thereafter when he crashed hard, but he’ll have another chance at Unadilla to show us just how well he can do if he can keep it on two wheels.

Broken Ice
After only racing a handful of races this year due to injuries suffered at the Oakland Supercross and the Hangtown Motocross Classic, Tyla Rattray officialy broke through for the first 450 moto win of his career last week at Southwick. Granted, he had a little help from Ryan Dungey, who crashed, knocked his gas cap off and was later forced to pit for fuel, but a win is a win, and in this case, it’s a fantastic, confidence-boosting highlight in what has otherwise been a dismal year for the South African. Next up is Unadilla, a fast, wide-open and hilly track that is rich in natural terrain, not completely unlike the European tracks that the 2008 MX2 World Champ used to race on before coming to America. Look for Rattray to keep the ball rolling this weekend at Unadilla.

He’s Back
Initial reports have Yoshimura Suzuki's James Stewart making his return to racing at Unadilla after missing the last three rounds with a wrist/hand injury. Since Stewart went down at Thunder ValleyRyan Dungey has been on a tear—winning seven straight overalls. Will Stewart, the only other rider to win an overall in the 450 Class this year, be able to put the brakes on Dungey’s winning streak?
Holding Serve
One week ago, Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Jake Weimer trailed Mike Alessi by twenty-three points and was still clinging to hopes of taking over the runner-up position. But after his worst performance of the year at Southwick—due in large part to a number of crashes—Weimer is now faced with having to fight off a charging Andrew Short for third in points (Short trails Weimer by seventeen points). Will Weimer hold serve at Unadilla or will Short continue to cut into Weimer’s lead?
Another Setback
Trying to hold his emotions in check, Honda Muscle Milk Tommy Hahn looked directly into the camera after his third place finish at Southwick and firmly said, “This is for the person that said my career was over.” It’s been a long road for Hahn since winning his first, and only, National at Steel City in 2009. A career that has seen Hahn listed on the injury report more often than the results sheet. Since returning from a broken finger at Thunder Valley Hahn has been impressive. But after nearly pulling off an overall podium at Southwick—a second moto crash would derail his chances—Hahn was injured in a practice crash this week and will now miss the rest of the season. Yet another setback in a injury stricken career.
Back on Schedule
Star Vaill Rockstar Yamaha’s Nico Izzi was scheduled to make his return from a back injury last weekend at Southwick. But as newly appointed team manager Ryan Morais explained in a recent interview, Izzi had travel problems and was unable to get to Southwick in time. Izzi will be back on the line this weekend at Unadilla, hoping to recapture his early season form.

Where It All Started
After capturing the 2011 AMA Horizon Award GEICO Honda’s Justin Bogle made a splash in his pro debut at Unadilla one year ago. The bright eyed rookie, with an infectious smile, provided GEICO Honda with yet another weapon in their arsenal after a fifth overall. But Bogle’s first full season in the pro ranks has been hampered by a knee injury—which keep him on the sidelines for five rounds early in the season. Since his return, Bogle has yet to find his place in a 250 Class loaded with talent. Will Bogle be able to find his form this weekend at the place where it all began?
-RacerX 10 things to watch

TV Schedule450 / 250 Moto 1
Saturday August 18 12:30PM EST - FUEL TV
Saturday August 18 12:30PM EST - Allisports.com
450 Moto 2
Saturday August 18 3:00PM EST - NBC
250 Moto 2
Saturday August 18 4:00PM EST - NBC Sports Network

live timing and scoring
35546_2012_unadilla_weekend_schedule_8-15-12_385.jpg

450 Points Standings
Ryan Dungey 430pts. KTM
Mike Alessi 345pts. Suz
Jake Weimer 290pts. Kaw
Andrew Short 273pts. Hon
Broc Tickle 253pts. Kaw
Josh Grant 195pts. Kaw
Justin Brayton 185pts. Hon
Kyle Chisholm 159pts. Kaw
James Stewart 151pts. Suz
Brett Metcalfe 142pts. Suz
Michael Byrne 138pts. Suz
Davi Millsaps 114pts. Yam
Tommy Hahn 101pts. Hon
Nico Izzi 95pts. Yam
Ryan Sipes 94pts. Yam
Tyla Rattray 84pts. Kaw
Les Smith 66pts. KTM
Cole Thompson 64pts. Hon
Christian Craig 62pts. Hon
Jimmy Albertson 61pts. Suz

250 Points Standings
Blake Baggett 400pts. Kaw
Justin Barcia 376pts. Hon
Eli Tomac 368pts. Hon
Ken Roczen 345pts. KTM
Marvin Musquin 294pts. KTM
Wil Hahn 230pts. Hon
Blake Wharton 197pts. Suz
Jason Anderson 181pts. Suz
Jessy Nelson 170pts. Hon
Travis Baker 156pts. Hon
Jake Canada 132pts. Hon
Malcolm Stewart 123pts. KTM
Alex Martin 109pts. Hon
Gareth Swanepoel 105pts. Yam
Ivan Tedesco 105pts. Kaw
Kyle Cunningham 96pts. Yam
Justin Bogle 84pts. Hon
Kyle Peters 73pts. Yam
Martin Davalos 58pts. Suz
Ryan Sipes 44pts. Yam

35566_dilla_12_200_3.jpg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gxiRQHh-4aI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

<iframe src="http://www.vitalmx.com/v/7278?width=780&height=440" width="780" height="440" frameborder="0"></iframe>One Lap: Unadilla Pits - More Motocross Videos

thanks to Kovac for reminding me to do this. i get confussed when i race the mx sim race before the actual national. :/

Yes , thanks 314 . For some reason I couldn't find 450 moto 2 in my TV listings and might have missed it otherwise . Love the nostalgia and old school feel of 'dilla . Every time I've raced in NY it seems to have rained and it gets SLICK . That could even the playing field a bit . I'm ready to see a fresh face get an overall or at least a moto win .

Stewart back on the bike and leading the first moto.........well until he crashed. I watched it in slow motion. The fans are awful close to the track where he fell. I really think the one fan waving a towel made him lose his concentration and when your the fastest man on the planet a small distraction can cause lose of concentration and a wreck. Better talk to the promoters about backing the fans up away from the track.

Dungey once again showed he is the man right now. Even if RV were there I think he would have them covered.

haha where to i begin, Broome Tioga ruts were out of this world, its a shame its not a part of the national series any more.

And don't forget that big downhill triple that RC hit every lap and the years we were there I think Lusk and Windham and Stewart we're the only other ones to hit it once or twice. And how about James comin off the ski jump railin that left hand turn and hittin that triple along the road with his 125 totally vertical and his face a few inches from his front fender! WOW! What awesome memories!!!

And don't forget that big downhill triple that RC hit every lap and the years we were there I think Lusk and Windham and Stewart we're the only other ones to hit it once or twice. And how about James comin off the ski jump railin that left hand turn and hittin that triple along the road with his 125 totally vertical and his face a few inches from his front fender! WOW! What awesome memories!!!

i vividly remember that! i even remember, last lap of the second moto bubba doing that downhill tripple. also remember first moto? bubba and mike brown got together after the first few turns and bubba went down. almost dead last, came back to win with a huge lead, one of the most amazing things i have ever seen. good memories for sure, i can remember riding that track the next day, reall makes you appreciate what they do.

Back