Jr Mini Rider at TvLand

Hey MX Dad567.......I have been in contact with his family by text....he will be having surgery on thursday to repair the multiple breaks in his pinky finger and the bone below....But before they can do anything they are pumping him with big anitbiotics cuz of the "open" area was very very dirty ...also may need a skin graft from the hip to cover "open" area..they are "on top" of the pain and he is comfy as you can be in that postition :eek:)....The word as of now is a full recovery in time....I will pass your well wishes on to him and his family.

Tina Sams

Please let them know that he is in our thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery.

Roxanne & Alex Santell

Hey Pit....the pinky and the wrist are where the broken bones are....but up on his forearm either a foot peg or handle bar or something put a HUGE hole in his arm...the bones are not the BIG problem the open hole is....Somehow the way he went down..something went into his arm big time...it is about an opeing about 3 inches around...all the way to the bone...NO skin..NO meat..NO nothing left there just a big hole...I could see the bones when he was still on the track...they are trying to figure out how to close the hole (thats where skin graft comes in) but there was so much dirt from the track jammed up in the opening that they have to leave it OPEN for now...let the antibiotics work first then get in there and fix everything, so like I said the many many broken bones (over 7 breaks I think) are not the big deal...Just got off the phone with family...He is in Surgery RIGHT NOW...took him a day early... They think there is some nerve damage and may have to take a nerve from behind his knee in another surgery on a dif day....they will know once they get in there.........will post update some time today!

Thanks for the updates Tina, please keep us posted as you receive updates on his surgery. The Sirows had told me about Austins accident yesterday.
Hard to believe but sometimes the dirt packing into a open would like that is a blessing. My sister was in a horrific motorcycle accident many years ago and landed in a muddy area next to the road that packed into her open wound. Doctors said it saved her life because it was almost like coterizing (sp), it also saved her leg.. Same thing though, terrible pain to clean the opening, tons of very strong antibiotics which cause yeast infections in some people (that also require more meds), skin graft, etc. She also had 64 staples to close her wound in her leg.

Im also glad to hear they are on top the pain because a broken pinky is terrible, but add the open wound area and it magnifies all the nerve endings. I really hope there isnt any nerve damage but if the opening is that large it is possible. Austin is a tough cookie, he has alot of determination and his grandparents are right there with him. Akron Childrens is a great place for him to be.

Hope you feel better sooner Austin.

The Moores

That crashed bothered me so much I just couldn't get my mind off it!!!! I told the boys I just couldn't watch anymore that day! That was one of the worst I have seen, he was hurt very badly. Way more serious than a pinky finger, that's for sure! My thoughts and prayers are with him and the family!!!

My wife has no idea how my son Michael missed him. She had to go to trailer and lay down until she ran Ryan to the hospital for his foot. She was sick from it all day

Rick sorry about Ryans leg...tell him heal fast and he is in our thoughts..

Well I went to the hospital yesterday to see Austin..He was still very out of it form the surgery but was in good spirits and VERY excited to see my Son!
He had multiple pins put in to repair the many broken bones in his hand and that part is looking good....but when the dr got into the "hole" the news was not so good...there is a big part that is just GONE...nothing to reconnect anything to as far as nerves/muscles and stuff, was worse then he had thought, so for now he is playing it by ear as far as recovery of movement...its kind of a wait and see thing at this point..dr said no feeling at all for about at least 2 months....
He will be going into surgery thursday morning to have a skin graft from his hip to cover the hole....and then we wait!

His grandma said he lights up like a light bulb any time a friend text or calls, so I started a face book page for well wishes "Well Wishes for Austin Leowsky #259 if you or your kids would like to send some happy thoughts his way, I KNOW I few kinds words from friends will go a LONG way!!

Not to be too nosy, but I am curious to know more about the hole in his arm. Ligaments, muscles, nerves: is that what you are referiing to with the no feeling part?

Ryan will be just fine. The other boy is in way worse shape than Ryan. We all have seen crashes and wrecks but I think this one really hit home for a lot of people.

When mx'ers crash it sucks. but even worse when it's kids. My kids keep asking about it and I just tell them he will be ok.

Back