Recovery Update

Joe Rice

PR Member
I wanted to give the people of Pitracer a little update. Before my final surgery, the doctor gave me an estimate of being back on my feet in 6-8 weeks after this sugery if all went as according to plan. I had my fourth and final surgery Tuesday August 14th. Everything went well. After the doctor got into the foot though, he realized the damage was far worse then he had anticipated. The one bone was broken so bad, he actually had to go in and take bone marrow out of my tibia and inject it into this area. They also fused the other parts of the foot like planned. I FINALLY got to see an x-ray of my foot. I counted 20+ screws in the x-ray. I have to have my left foot in a cast for the next 3 months. Then I'll be allowed to start walking again. When I get the final cast cut off I would be off of my feet for over 5 months, so I'll probably be looking at about 3 months of therapy. Dr. Grossman said over the next 3 months I'll have probably 4 casts. I go back this Monday and he'll cut the cast off to remove the stitches on the inside of my foot. Then he'll recast it and it'll come off a couple more times to make sure the cast stays tight against the foot and ankle. Here's some pictures of the outside of my foot, the x-ray and the inside of my foot.

Attachments

• 582131_10100947799209814_571083834_n.jpg
    582131_10100947799209814_571083834_n.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 168
  • foot xray.jpg
    foot xray.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 190
  • photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 179
Well I'm glad I looked at this after lunch! Glad to see that you are healing and moving forward, hopefully your recovery will be better than expected and your life is better than they anticipate. Wishing you well on your recovery!

Thanks for the update Joe! I was wondering how your final surgery went...I remember you saying it would be in early August sometime....Crazy for all you've been through but it sounds like your in good spirits so keep it up!! You got a long life ahead of you and with the right attitude, a little luck and keeping up with therapy I think you'll do just fine.

Keep healing joe....BJ needs to put a sign up over that jump"smoking joe's gap" and that foot is so swollen in that one pic sick!

Good luck. I know from experience that you have a great doctor working on you. I have been thru DR G's office a few times. Are you seeing him at the akron general office? They have a great group of docs up there. They will get you back going I'm sure of it.

Man, you didn't mess around! There's no half ass'n it there is there. Glad to hear you are healing up, and good luck with your recovery.

Back