mixing 2 stroke oils?

TwentyThreeMX

PR Founding Father
I could have sworn I've read this, but in the past (80s, 125s) i dont remember ever having issues (maybe i always ran the same stuff, IDK). Anyways, is it bad to switch to a new oil mid tank? Should I drain out what I have and start fresh?

Also, the ktm 250's manual says to run at 60:1!! holy crap!!! I've always ran at 32:1. I think I'll meet half way and go 40:1, I think I'd cringe at 60:1 every time i started my bike!!!

40:1 is good.
Mixing oil? .....Is the motor only worth a couple bucks?
Start Fresh.
A two-stroke? Hold on .....that KTM dont fart...
BRRAAAAPPP!

You don't want to mix different styles of oil. Like putting synthetic oil premix into a tank with castor oil premix already in there.

Drain the tank or run it out. 40:1 will work fine, especially with a synthetic or semi-synthetic pre-mix. Castor-based oils WILL separate at low temps, hence my preference for synthetics. Pick one brand and mixing ratio and stay with it.

Depends on what you mean by mixing oils?
If you are talking about mixing petroleum based oil with another brand of petroleum based oil then you are safe. If you are talking about petroleum with synthetic then you may have a problem IE. they may not mix, One could actually become jelled as a reaction to the other. If you don"t know? Then drain the tank, Flush with a gallon or so of fuel and start fresh with whatever you are goimg to be using.

ya i drained it, it was sad to drain out race gas, but i didnt know what was mixed with it. back to 93 and yamalube temporarily until i run out of all the bottles i have of it, then ill probably drain again and switch to motul.

Dam that is a good idea as I can't ride or cut the grass right but may go dump some Golden Spectro in the mower tank so when my
wife mows it will smell like the races!

I never mix oils as oil is very cheap & motors are not.

Depends on what you mean by mixing oils?
If you are talking about mixing petroleum based oil with another brand of petroleum based oil then you are safe. If you are talking about petroleum with synthetic then you may have a problem IE. they may not mix, One could actually become jelled as a reaction to the other. If you don"t know? Then drain the tank, Flush with a gallon or so of fuel and start fresh with whatever you are goimg to be using.

Agreed. Its usually the bean oils that don't mix with conventinal.

As for ratio - that is dependant on the oil, not the bike. Where your KTM manual states to run 60:1 I'll bet it also specifies a specific oil. Most synthetics are packaged in 12.8oz bottles so you can dump a bottle in a 5 gallon can and it comes out 50:1, and most bikers insist on running 40:1 just so they can measure out the oil from multiple bottles or smaller gas cans.

Most conventional oils of quality run at 32:1 while cheapo oils often run at 20:1

Its important to stick with your specific mix, and tune your carb to it.

Back