WTF!!??? Anybody ever have flat tire after flat tire before??

LuckyStar64

PR Addict
OK-- three rear flats in three rides = me pissed off! Just so you know-- the tube wasn't pinched, I'm running a rim lock, I checked the tire for anything sharp sticking in it, it's not torn at the valve stem, the spokes are taped with duct tape. No spokes are loose. What the hell could be the problem? The tube seems like it's worn in one spot on the side?

Can the rim lock be worn out? If it were-- I'd think the valve stem would be torn. I'm about to replace the tire, rim lock, and order a heavy duty tube. Any other ideas? --L*64

Heavy tubes are great. But look closely at the tire. I usually run a rag around inside before reinstalling a tire. Could be a thorn or even a wire from the carcass showing thru. Be careful not to poke yourself with whatever it is that's causing you problems.

Kenda makes tuff tubes and they are great. They are super thick and we have had really good luck with them. Moose also makes some really thick ones. A lot of tubes say they are heavy duty but look at the thickness of the tube. It is on the side of the box. The kenda and moose ones are at a 4 I believe.

Damn-- I've been running Kendas already. After an hour of riding-- they go limp. I'm thinking it may be the rim lock b/c there is an area where the rubber is worn and the metal part is coming through.. --L*64

I think Tony C just needs to learn how to change his own tires! Maybe I am booby-trapping them so I don't have to do the work anymore!

If you can't figure it out maybe wrap the rim a few times with duct tape like 3 or 4, to give a good safety barrier???

And are you applying a liberal amount of talc powder inside the tire itself???

Only time I had an immediate repeat flat was when I removed one obvious foreign object that was sticking out, and found another one on the inside that wasn't showing. Sometimes have to draw blood to finish the job.

Back