help no spark on my 88 suzuki ds80

i have no experience with this dual coil stator system. more used to points. can someone tell me how to tell which part is bad. i used the multimeter to check for continuity and the coil tested good. tested two coils. then i checked the stator for continuity and it seemed to test good. checked all 3 wires across each other. when i switch to volts the wires that go to the switch show 6.7 volts when i kick it over. The wire that goes to the coil shows nothing when grounded to the frame. am i not checking it right? Does this mean my primary coil is bad? Is this bike supposed to have a cdi my local dealer didn't show one in fiche? could the flywheel be the problem its a little rusty but not crazy? apparently i am lost. help please. i have been googling the problem for days and have made 0 progress. thanks

You need a service manual and an ohm meter. The service manual will give you ohms of resistance across specific wires for each of your electrical components. If they are out of spec then replace. Just because they have continuity does not mean they are good!

Try unhooking the kill switch as they can go bad or does this have a key?

Clean off the rust, take the coil off & clean the rust from the area where it mounts to the frame as I think some may ground that way & think rusty motor mounts
can do the same thing.

Look for parts on e-bay.

Back