Deer hunting thread 2012-13

halffast

PR Elite
Thought it was time to start it since bow season starts in a couple weeks . I'm still recovering from a pretty bad leg break so I haven't been able to do any practicing , scouting , etc. . Just now walking ( poorly ) without a cane and need to build some muscles back up . Don't know if I'll be capable of climbing into a treestand so I might be hunting from the ground like when I first started bowhunting in the 60's . Anybody use a portable ground blind much ? Have heard that they are great for turkeys but need to be well brushed in and allowed to sit a while for deer ( especially mature bucks ) to get used to . Kind of negates the " portable " aspect . Might get one anyway as my oldest grandson has shown some interest in hunting and he is pretty fidgety .

I hope to get out next week and do a little scouting and set out a trail camera or two . Anybody have any pics yet ?

halffast,
Have a old racing buddy from WV looking to come to Ohio for some good bow hunting. Know any great areas as I have never hunted any....only raced?
Maico Mark

Mark ,
Private property in any of Ohio's top deer producing counties ( especially Tuscarawas , Coshocton , and Muskingum ) is going to be the best bet but permission is hard to get anymore . As far as public land , I would suggest the Woodbury Wildlife Area near Coshocton . I have seen some impressive bucks come from there . It is a large tract and you can find space to get away from other hunters , even more so if you can hunt weekdays instead of weekends . Info and maps are available through the ODNR's website .

I don't like the ground blinds (hut style) as they are too short for me at 6'1. I only bow hunt. The curtain styles are pretty good. When I hunt from the ground I just find some natural cover (fallen tree, etc...). Have had good luck this way. Haven't gotten into the trail camera's yet. Have scouted out my grandfather's farm and put up a couple of tree stands. Also have a good area for ground hunting. Will try turkey hunting this year. Seen a lot of activity markers and have a few good spots picked out.

I haven't been to any public hunting areas yet. I can hunt on our city property that borders with the Metro Parks. I usually go up to the Finger Lakes Region and hunt with a buddy of mine. He has several 100 acre + private areas we hunt on.

Now if they only made Tall size hunting clothes! Arms are too long for most jackets, especially rain jackets.
Good luck with your grandson.

I am ready!!! I neeeeeed tree therapy! Bows are all shooting great and the gear is ready to wear. Finishing touches are being added during prep. Only really need a range finder since Court confiscated my nikon monarch 800. I was going to buy a vortex ranger 1000 but the last one sold at kames. Can't get another for a few weeks. Bummer. I think I'm going to get the nikon rifle hunter 1000. While I don't need it or care to get it, it has the angle compensating deal but what is making me lean toward it is the lighted background for low light conditions. I had an issue seeing the numbers on my first nikon during the last 15 minutes of light and I want an all around range finder for gun hunting.

Other than that, everything is ready to roll. Didn't get to run cameras too much due to saving the travel funds plus my cameras eat batteries, but there are guaranteed to be some big boys lurking.

Never killed a deer the first day of the season, so I wanna whack a doe or a monster on day 1!

Many years ago before trail cameras , multiple tags , etc. , I really went at it hard . Did lots of preseason scouting with binoculars , setup treestands and a couple of brush blinds on the ground . Had all my clothes and gear scent free as possible . Was shooting my best arrow groups ever ( my eyes were still good then ) . Opening day of season I sneaked into my favorite brush blind for the evening hunt ( wind was wrong in the morning ) . Half hour before dark a nice buck came through a shooting lane at 15 yards , stopped when I grunted , and I put an arrow through both lungs . All my efforts had payed off and I was pleased to have taken a good deer . That was the longest season of my life . All my buddies were still out hunting and all I could do was listen to their stories and wait for next season . Now , even with so many tags available , I will not take a shot ( even at a doe,,,we can only use so much venison ) until late in the season unless it would be a " gagger " buck . Doesn't really matter to me if I take the deer with my recurve , muzzleloader , or handgun because I hunt about the same ( close ) with all those weapons . Have not taken a shot over 30 yards in many years . Lots of guys want to see how far they can shoot and get the deer . I want to see how close I can get so I can't miss .

I am ready to go I believe. I dont have any bucks I wanna shoot right now, nothing quite big enough....So I am hoping something shows up here real quick. Been shooting my bow some...Not as much as years past...Food plots look decent, but nothing spectacular. I am honestly not expecting much this year...I guess we will see what the year brings me

Randy hows the leg? Are you still shooting a recurve?

The leg is coming along slowly . Tib wasn't fully healed last doctor visit but I go to him again this Wed. . Eating Advil and elevation help the pain and swelling after a few hours of activity . Main problem right now is my right eye is FULL of floaters due to a slight hemorrhage in it last week (diabetes and leg trauma don't mix well ) .

Can't draw my recurve sufficiently to hunt with yet . Three months of light activity took a toll on these old muscles and I'll have to work back into it as it draws 70 lbs. . I don't even own a compound any more . I've been offered an " arrow gun " ( my terminology for a crossbow ) until I get back in shape . Don't know if I'll go that route .

On Sat. I took my pole pruner , machete , and an old crappy stand and slowly hiked into a strip mine area I'm allowed to hunt . The area was tore up last year and I had hunted from a pine tree that is one of the few big enough to use . Was actually able to climb it , set the stand , and brush out some shooting lanes . As I finished , in walks two young guys right to my spot. As we are talking , another guy walks up to us carrying a stand and some steps . Turns out we all have permission for the area . The mining company used to have a couple thousand acres but has been whittled down to a fraction of that due to family deaths , leases , sell offs , etc. . Only about 8 or 10 guys are even given permits anymore but it is all on the same couple of properties so things are getting crowded . Fully expect that stand to be gone when I go to use it . Also ran across a newer quad trail right through the center of a great travel corridor to a bedding area and right under the other spot I wanted to put a stand . Found a couple of empty fertilizer bags too . Ain't no food plots or nut trees in the area so , hmmm , I wonder what they were fertilizing ? I didn't try to find out and will probably avoid that part of the property until " harvest " is over for sure .

The leg is coming along slowly . Tib wasn't fully healed last doctor visit but I go to him again this Wed. . Eating Advil and elevation help the pain and swelling after a few hours of activity . Main problem right now is my right eye is FULL of floaters due to a slight hemorrhage in it last week (diabetes and leg trauma don't mix well ) .

Can't draw my recurve sufficiently to hunt with yet . Three months of light activity took a toll on these old muscles and I'll have to work back into it as it draws 70 lbs. . I don't even own a compound any more . I've been offered an " arrow gun " ( my terminology for a crossbow ) until I get back in shape . Don't know if I'll go that route .

On Sat. I took my pole pruner , machete , and an old crappy stand and slowly hiked into a strip mine area I'm allowed to hunt . The area was tore up last year and I had hunted from a pine tree that is one of the few big enough to use . Was actually able to climb it , set the stand , and brush out some shooting lanes . As I finished , in walks two young guys right to my spot. As we are talking , another guy walks up to us carrying a stand and some steps . Turns out we all have permission for the area . The mining company used to have a couple thousand acres but has been whittled down to a fraction of that due to family deaths , leases , sell offs , etc. . Only about 8 or 10 guys are even given permits anymore but it is all on the same couple of properties so things are getting crowded . Fully expect that stand to be gone when I go to use it . Also ran across a newer quad trail right through the center of a great travel corridor to a bedding area and right under the other spot I wanted to put a stand . Found a couple of empty fertilizer bags too . Ain't no food plots or nut trees in the area so , hmmm , I wonder what they were fertilizing ? I didn't try to find out and will probably avoid that part of the property until " harvest " is over for sure .
I'm sorry to hear about the.invasion Randy ....I think its time we work on a certain someone to gain access to a prime piece of ground. Im running into the same issues myself...every place is getting overrun with other people.
If things don't work out for ya I can hook you up for a sit or.two at the Kaiser ranch late season. That's when I gets the best activity

Yeah yeah Zach.. I don't believe you.. lol

Randy, 70 lbs? Jebus! My recurve is only a 55# bow.

I hunt with anything legal. If you need a hook up on a crossbow, I'm your man. If it enables you to be in the woods more frequently, do it!

Zach , just so happens that two Sundays ago at a beer/ bs /cookout session on that prime piece of property we saw a buck run across the end of the track . Just looked up in time for a glimpse but I saw a LOT of main beam at about 150yds even with my crappy eyes . The body looked like a pony . I have never asked to hunt there .

Meister , the 70 pounder is so that I may someday fullfill my ultimate dream hunt of taking a bull moose with traditional gear and that was the poundage suggested to me by a couple of outfitters I spoke to . It is a custom , takedown , Archery Traditions Patriot recurve and actually seems to draw easier and smoother than the Bear 60 pound takedown I was shooting before . It tosses a 750+ grain wood arrow at around 220fps. .

Our local city is opening up for bow where I live.....its been closed for 20 years. Should be all hooked up in two weeks with permission on 20 acres in city. Prime area...can not wait. A double drop tine 200+ is out there. He even made you tube two years ago. I saw 7 nice bucks last nite right where my Summit will be climbing. This should be fun.
Jack and I will be having our first week of Gun together this year too at our cabin in Hocking Hills.

Well, how did everyones weekend go?

I got skunked in killbuck Saturday evening. Court seen 1 yearling doe. Killbuck is getting tougher for me to hunt because everytime I go, there's other people hunting. Couple amish guys were on the side I originally planned to hunt.

Saturday we decided to try a new urban spot near home. I elected to use a crossbow since it was urban and I had sighted in one of my xbows with a nextra 125 grain 3.5" cut broadhead. Urban, I wanted a close shot and didn't want the deer to travel far so I used the mammoth broadhead.

Got in stand at 415 and at 440 court whispers n points. Sure enough, 3.5 year old doe about 30 yds away in a thicket. She worked into my 15 yd shooting lane and I let her have it.

Knew it was a solid hit. Waited 20 mins and got down, went to where she stood and it looked like spray paint everywhere.

Took the bow and stands back to the truck 70 yds away in the driveway. Then went in and trailed her. She made it about 70 yds somehow. Of course off the property. Back to the truck we went. Drove over to the neighbors to ask for permission to track and he said no problem. drove 200 yds back to our friends driveway n went back in to get my deer. Jumped another in a swamp thicket 50 yds from where we sat. The deer i killed ran to the small creek and died right there. Then while I was pullin her out, court noticed 4 more about 90 yds away just eating.

Hoping in november we can catch a bruiser cruising. They're known to be in the area so we'll see.

Congrats , great way to start the season .

Urban hunting has always worried me for just the reason you have stated . The only shot that will absolutely drop a deer in its tracks is a head/spine shot and we all know how risky that is with archery gear . I know some will disagree with me but it is my opinion that a double lung hit deer will go about 70 yds. as yours did , no matter what broadhead is used ( providing they are all very sharp ). A deflated lung is just that , period . A bigger hole does that a split second quicker maybe , but they can still run so far without oxygen being pumped in and the blood coming out . Hitting the heart/arteries changes the equation for sure and a larger cutting diameter probably has more advantage there , but the buggers will still run .

Fortunately you had an understanding neighbor . I'm sure you thanked him . A long time ago , I started sending Christmas cards, with a thank you note written inside , to all landowners who give me hunting permission . Usually give them a ring of trail too if I have some made . I do it , not to kiss @$$ , but to show my true appreciation . It has amazed me that almost all have told me nobody had done that or anything for them before .

A couple of sources that I pay attention to have indicated an intense early rut this year . hopefully the big boys will start moving a bit sooner . I'm still scouting and fine tuning gear . A buddy loaned me a compound and a crossbow to use if I can't get back to the recurve . Got some trail cams to check and probably will not hunt until next week as this is a bit early for me . Supposed to turn even cooler then too .

Anybody use the solunar tables to determine when to hunt ? Some people swear by it while others say it is crap . I always figured when I had the time , go . Now that I'm retired I thought I might check out the moon's phase/position , effect on deer activity . All I really know from years past is that I usually had fewer encounters during a full moon . After recently reading up a bit on the moon's possible effects I'm going to keep a log and see if there is any link . Found a great free website , www.usprimetimes.com , that gives a lot of localized info ( moon phase , sunrise/set , best activity times , etc. ) . Type in your zip code and a start date and it will give you the info for your area that week . Might be intersting .

Thanks for the sight Randy,I hunt when I get a chance which is hard this time of year.My wife and I got out monday and had alot of activity,she shot a 7 point and I passed on a 9. We had deer movement from 5pm on.I did see a huge buck that had a big forked g2 but couldn't make out much else(too many leave on the trees yet)He is on my hit list for sure.Hope to get out Sunday and Monday again.

Thanks for the sight Randy,I hunt when I get a chance which is hard this time of year.My wife and I got out monday and had alot of activity,she shot a 7 point and I passed on a 9. We had deer movement from 5pm on.I did see a huge buck that had a big forked g2 but couldn't make out much else(too many leave on the trees yet)He is on my hit list for sure.Hope to get out Sunday and Monday again.

Tell Dorae congrats! Lets see some pictures.

Back