The Title issue?

Scoob

PR Founding Father
Duuuudde!!! I had the bike sold, but the dude, asked about a title of which for a 1992 that my bro bought from Illinois a couple of years ago, I didn't think it would be an issue nor someone would ask for one. :(

Anywho, going to the BMV tomorrow to see what I can come up with. I understand the stolen thing, but being a 1992, I am thinking you could still get an ORV sticker without it...although dude at local BMV was trying to tell me any bike "purchased" prior to some date in 2005 didn't need to be titled... Oh brother. I planned to take the cash right to another guy tonight to purchase his bike...

Anyone have any websites and/or suggestions on how to take care of this sichiation? Figure I'll take the VIN to the BNV tomorrow on my lunch and maybe find out some good news there. Did call Illinois BMV tonight and dude did look up VIN and found it had never been titled...in Illinois...

I bought a street legal 1973 Hodaka a few years back knowing it did not have a title and I posted something similar to this asking for advice. A very nice lady who no longer posts here responded and gave me the exact info on how to get it done and it worked out just as she described. Although, it might be easier for you since the bike's not street legal.

I went to the the Delaware County clerk of courts office with my vin nbrs and a description of the bike and a hand written bill of sale from the guy I bought it from. Handed that over to them and they gave me a form to fill out and they did a search on the vin to see if anything shady came up. I then handed over 75 bucks and they gave me a letter that I was then directed to take to the BMV. With that letter from the clerk of courts office the BMV then typed up a title and I was then able to buy plates for it.

Good deal on the sale Scoob!!!...
Now get that title work done!.
.....I'm of no help with that though... sorry.

Im looking for a title now as we speak. Found the title to my old 93. Its not a title but a certificate of sale.
I think you will find it is not needed for the older bikes.

Ohio did not start requiring titles for motocross bikes until July 1, 1999. In order to create one for an older bike you need to physically take the bike to the LICENSE bureau. Yes I said License not title. There they will perform a VIN inspection for like 3 bucks or something and give you a form.

You take that over to the title bureau and get a title made. It helps greatly if you have some sort of purchase record, bill of sale, certificate of origin, etc.

You have to go through this same process if you purchase a newer bike from out of state and want to change to Ohio title. I have done that twice recently.

http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/registration_titling.stm

PM sent, Mooch you are correct but the bike cant have been titled in Ohio and you will need a out of state inspection to go along with it.

Ohio did not start requiring titles for motocross bikes until July 1, 1999. In order to create one for an older bike you need to physically take the bike to the LICENSE bureau. Yes I said License not title. There they will perform a VIN inspection for like 3 bucks or something and give you a form.

You take that over to the title bureau and get a title made. It helps greatly if you have some sort of purchase record, bill of sale, certificate of origin, etc.

You have to go through this same process if you purchase a newer bike from out of state and want to change to Ohio title. I have done that twice recently.

http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/registration_titling.stm
Opps we sent the same info at the same time!!!

also if you owned the bike before 99 you will not have to pay tax on it, (basically grandfathered). but if your receipt shows you pruchased it after say 98 you will have to pay tax on sale price

Yeah, I'll see what they say tomorrow. Although I do not have much in it since my bro gave it to me and I just did the work, I might have to tell the dude as is or no sale. Since it was given to me, hopefully I'll be OK with the taxes and he bought it in Illinois. We'll see how it pans out. I'm goin' to bed...

As others have said, it is a simple administrative procedure to get a title.

In fact it is so easy that people are converting stolen cars to Ohio titled cars here in Southern Ohio.
Car Theives make stolen cars legal

bruce
Expect the process to become more difficult by the end of the year.

Back