Need some advice - To ride or not to ride?

faithlove617

PR Addict
I rode at the ride day a few weeks back and it sparked a fire in me to ride again. I have prolly ridden about 3 hours in the past 3 years altogether. Their is people on here from all different circumstances and ages, so I am hoping for some wisdom. To most this would appear as a simple choice i suppose, but not for me or maybe I need to see it that way.

Why I don't ride...I didn't have a job that paid enough for like the last 4 years and now i do. Some money i did have, I used to help my family but don't have to anymore. Some of the knuckle-headed decisions I have made don't help. When I was younger, if I didn't get to ride, you for sure didn't want me as your friend. My brother got hurt a while back, and I used to feel guilty for being able to ride an he can't, so that would stop me too. I also look at sacrifice which is my main reason why I am asking. I was in school to become a fireman/paramedic for a good job until I become a preacher but had to stop that to get my dad out of the nursing home, so now I work for a good company doing mostly commercial concrete.

The sacrifice part...I work alot between my regular job and the racetracks. I am working towards schooling at church to be a preacher...i feel in my heart that's what i will ultimately end up doing. I will not give up the dedication to the mx community right now, but will in prolly 5-7 years to pursue preaching. I would just like to be able to ride 3-4 times a month, it's like someone who loves fishing; well i love riding. I think it will help me loosen up in life to throw some roost. I think it is the same way for alot of us that motocross is therapy per say...when you ride, your like free. Atleast that is what it's like for me. I enjoy racing but really wont, maybe a few throughout a year if I did get a bike.

Aside from sacrifice is priorities...I am single, my dad and I live together, he is disabled. We rent a house together. Work is important being 27 now and a house to maintain, but even though i don't have a family to be responsible for I feel responsible to church and the motocross family. I don't want to hinder that. But if I hold back because for fear of getting hurt, than that isn't living at all, I would call it being scared not couragous. I mean we take risks for the meaning of it. If our country crumbled in fear when fighting for freedom, where would we be today.

Ahhh, just writing this I think about how much fun I have riding and that I really miss riding. Maybe this a part of maturing. So please some helpful advice would be much appreciated.

Jarrett my friend, I have been in the same boat for a few years now since i decided to persue my dream and start driving a truck. The difference is now i am married and have a step daughter, a house, a yard and all that jaz to take care of. I still do some riding with alot of my old motocross friends in the woods on 3 wheelers. Is it the same?? not by any means at all, ive tried everything, i have a super fast car i built, still cant compare to ripping around the track on an mx bike. I keep saying one day ill buy an older yz or cr 250 just to ride in the woods and occasionally on a track but lately after 2 of my great friends being hurt very badly (Joey and Clint) it really makes me lose the desire to ride and realise how lucky i have always been. Basically what im going to tell you is what i think you would tell me in this situation, follow your heart and do what it tells you to do, you obviously still love the sport, which is because its the greatest sport in the world, so if the desire is there, then do it, it never hurts to have a bike sitting in the garage even if it only gets rode once or twice a month or even less, because you know its there. do the right thing and find a cheap older bike fix it up and ride it when you want to. no matter what anyone tells me one day i will own a bike again even to just go play in the woods, so when you do get a bike, you look up your old buddy G-String and we shall ride like old responsible men haha, take care brother

I have been hurt too many times for most peoples taste, Im 45 and now have 3 yr old twins, I own my own business with employees to think of ( and anyone who thinks that makes it easier to get away better think twice!!!), I have a heart that only pumps about 35% efficient while most of you have ones that are 55%, Ive got a house and large yard to take care of...... So many reasons to not ride for sure, legit reasons to stop.

I have a really fast car I built also, I have done plenty of other hobbies and sports but NOTHING compares for me, MX is therapy! The people are great, the exercise is fantastic and you cant beat the adrenaline rush!

But there really is only one reason for me to ride :

The day I stop riding is the day I stop living.

I would say to most definitely ride as much as you can and don't worry about getting hurt. Obviously supporting yourself and family is no. 1 priority. I've been in college for 5 years and riding is at an extreme minimum at the moment and I miss it for sure. I play Mx Simulator to cure that haha. That's been my moto fix while I can't get out and get at it for real. Injuries can happen at the craziest times so it's best not to worry about them. Hell, I tore my pancreas just falling over in a corner one time.

I can't stop. I'll miss a student loan payment to go practice. Just can't stop riding. Too big of a buzz I get taking a fresh Wiff of premix.

Jarret, you know how I am. 100% for fun now. I ride my bike a couple times a month. Its moto therapy and tree therapy (hunting) for me. It'll be that way till the end.

Just have fun. You always do, so u won't have a problem. No reason to push urself or try that huge triple anymore. We've got nothing to prove.

Spend a couple or a few grand and buy a reliable bike and just ride it for fun when you can.

No post a pic of ur new bike asap!

The sacrifice part...I work alot between my regular job and the racetracks. I am working towards schooling at church to be a preacher...i feel in my heart that's what i will ultimately end up doing. I will not give up the dedication to the mx community right now, but will in prolly 5-7 years to pursue preaching. I would just like to be able to ride 3-4 times a month, it's like someone who loves fishing; well i love riding. I think it will help me loosen up in life to throw some roost. I think it is the same way for alot of us that motocross is therapy per say...when you ride, your like free. Atleast that is what it's like for me. I enjoy racing but really wont, maybe a few throughout a year if I did get a bike.

I feel responsible to church and the motocross family. I don't want to hinder that. But if I hold back because for fear of getting hurt, than that isn't living at all, I would call it being scared not couragous. I mean we take risks for the meaning of it. If our country crumbled in fear when fighting for freedom, where would we be today.

Have you not considered that being a vet rider/racer could actually make you a better, more enfluential preacher? That your interest and passion for a sport could make you more inspiring role model?

Does the physical and mental demands of riding and racing not make you a better healthier person who is more in tune with him or herself?

Isn't the family environment of the motocross community a good example for other families that play together stay together?

Is not a competitive spirit a little healthy for the soul? It is natural and comes instinctively?

Would Jesus ride a Kaw, Suzuki, Honda, Ktm, or Yamaha? Just kidding, I had to ask :) (I know Rocket I forgot Husaburg).

Have you not considered that being a vet rider/racer could actually make you a better, more enfluential preacher? That your interest and passion for a sport could make you more inspiring role model?

Does the physical and mental demands of riding and racing not make you a better healthier person who is more in tune with him or herself?

Isn't the family environment of the motocross community a good example for other families that play together stay together?

Is not a competitive spirit a little healthy for the soul? It is natural and comes instinctively?

Would Jesus ride a Kaw, Suzuki, Honda, Ktm, or Yamaha? Just kidding, I had to ask :) (I know Rocket I forgot Husaburg).

I find Riding is this more so than many other things we do.

Jarrett,
You seem like you have your ducks in a row. You are very kind hearted young man and take care of family, friends and you love the mx community. At some point you have to do something for you and this is for you. You will still do what you need to do as in go to work and take care of your father, but you need time to relax and be free. Dont feel quilty about getting a bike. I can assure you if your brother read this he would be mad at you for not riding because he can't. We all know riding is good therapy and is needed from time to time. I can assure you I know from experience the desire and want to ride will never go away. If now is a good time for you then do it before you can't. As for the getting hurt part, you are mature and will be a smart rider. You will know that a jump may not be worth trying or one position in a race may not be worth getting hurt. Get a bike and have fun with it. I will be looking forward to spinning some laps with you. :)

542048_435572283145384_34487885_n.jpg

Follow your heart!

Jarrett, i have been riding since i was 14 years old, iam now the oldest out there, time flys follow your heart, it will pass you buy before you know it. go out and have fun you are a great person see you at the track

Jarrett, i have been riding since i was 14 years old, iam now the oldest out there, time flys follow your heart, it will pass you buy before you know it. go out and have fun you are a great person see you at the track

Right on Dan!....
This guy knows!

hahaha, well the bible says Jesus will come back on a white horse. I would choose a Honda. Atleast they both have horsepower. I still wouldn't race Him though.

My decision is....RIDE!!! Thank you all for the advice and perspective. I really appreciate it. Now onto working towards getting a bike.

LOL! You ever watch the Wizard of Oz? You ALREADY know the answer, you're just looking for somebody to back it up.

As for myself-- I LOVE riding bikes more than anything else. BUT-- I'm not sure I feel entirely comfortable risking injuries at the age of 43. (You have to know that you can get injured washing your car, but IMO-- riding dirt bikes increases the risk). So-- riding doesn't mean that you have to race, and try for a Loretta's spot. You can get an inexpensive used bike to do open practices at one of the zillion local riding spots. You can get a trail bike to ride at the many off road facilities. Vintage MX is fairly tame. Those options will cut your risk exponentially, and not break the bank bro. Anybody that knows me knows I'm a pit bike freak. The races are casual and fun, the bikes can be inexpensive, my GF has a bike to ride rather than sit and watch. I may get a 250F and ride big bikes one day-- but i'm having a good time for now.

In summation-- as long as you aren't trying for an amateur title, there are ways to enjoy riding bikes w/o breaking the wallet, or your a$$. Hope this helps. --L*64

Jarrett,

I also agree with the riding being a great way to help influence young minds and lead them down the right path....motocross has kept me out of a lot of trouble in my 27 years (unfortunately not always, hence why I don't own a crotch rocket anymore haha).

Check out PanicREV, it's a christian ministries outreach via moto and Trey Canard is actually pretty active in it, might help light the fire....I know one thing for certain, if there is ever a time where I feel "closer to god" it is definitely when I'm sacking up and on the approach of a jump I've never hit before, or when you take the bike out for a weekend of trail riding and you and your machine tackle some gnarly hill climb, you reach the top, proud of your accomplishment, and pause to take a look around you and appreciate the blessing that you have the ability to ride a bike.

As for a bike, if you don't have a paticular brand your looking at, my buddy has a clean CR 250 2smoker (02-03 i believe) for sale for 1500 (probably would go lower since he leaves for Utah in a week and needs the $$)

Back