Ohio Cycle

PitRacer

PR Founding Father
Anyone remember this newspaper?

OhioCycle.jpg

I don't remember the paper but I think know the owner of that Opel Manta Rallye in the background of the cover photo.

That could be Muskingum Valley. The Opel with the three rail trailer and the YZ 250 belonged to Bob Hyde. Bob had taken that same rig with a YZ 125 out to Carlsbad, California the year before.

Pit, do you have that Ohio Cycle issue?

Yeah it says Muskingum Valley. I have a handful of those issues, I tossed that one on my scanner.

Purple!? Bob's Manta Rallye was green and mine was yellow. They both had hitches and pulled three rail trailers to the races. We had two other friends with Manta Rallyes at that time too (red and mustard colored).

How popular was Muskingum Valley in the 70's? Any big races?
Anybody have any "old" MV pic's?

I got to ride there twice a few years ago, thought it was a neat track.

Nice track in the '70's with permanent grandstand, press box, sign-up / scoring, food stand, lighting and built-in watering system. The pits and parking included the upper field at entrance, the entire drive back and the lower field behind the track. Seem to remember the place parked all over back then. My pics are from the 80's and 90's. I was there in the 70's and remember catching a ride in Bob's Opel as well as my own. I also remember riding over there from Muskingum College on my little Yamaha Chappy.

Great stuff, I started racing minis in 79 and raced at Muskingum valley. How long was the paper printed? It seems like I do remember it. I would love to see some results from that era.

Yeah, I do. Tim Hollinger, 4th in the Pro class at Smith Rd. Had a brother named Terry that was a bit faster but not as serious. I knew them when we were kids, haven't seen them since high school a hundred years ago. Their Dad was named Harry and he was something else. They had the first Elsinores I ever saw at Crash and Burn in '73 (I think) before everyone else had them.

Edit: I see that Terry finished second in the 100 class.

Kevin

That Smith Road results bring back a lot of memories. I finished 3rd 125 class, Benko beat me that day. We are in the picture at the bottom. JB 35 and I am stuck in the pack #36. That was a fast 77 RM 125 I had. Motoplat ignition, Fox pro porting. That thing would rev to the moon. Also saw Greg Troyan, Sharc, E. Gerber, Reisinger in 100 class, Tomko, Shinski, Dunfee, Timchak in the 250. Of course Leak and all the fast guys of the day. Like the paper says, George raced almost every week. It has been a great place to race for years. Thanks for posting. Mark.

OpelIT.jpg
My brother turned up a pic of my '74 Opel with a bike in tow. lt's my '77 IT 175 that lost the lights and tool bag to become my 200 class MX bike for a couple of years. Must have been a Winter photo with snows in the back. That was down a steep drive by the lake but the Manta Rallye was up for it.

Sweet! I still have some old Crash and Burn mags from the '80's. Hell-- I still have the first mag I ever bought which was January 1985 Dirt Bike. I must have read the damn magazine 500 times, read every ad in the back. I always thought it would be cool to have a section on here where you could post pics of guys crashing, then add funny captions. Kind of a do it yourself crash and burn type of thing. --L*64

Its great reading some of these old stories
Sure brings back some great memories
I have a sticker inside the lid of my tool box that white and says Motosport Trails
I think I got it back in the mid to late 70's at Malvern

Back