Briarcliff review

loneranger171

PR Addict
First off - thanks to JO for the opportunity to ride Briarcliff this past weekend....Second - not sure what happened but please don't take this site down for 3 days again - not sure if it was a PR move or not but I felt like I was having withdrawl symptoms and I didn't like how it felt....
Third - I don't do long posts but this might be one....your choice to read it I don't have cliff notes...

Back to point...about 1hr 40mi drive for me...not a tree hugger but the view down was incredible....even going across 18W/36W (?) I saw a grass airport with 20-30 airplanes some taking off and some getting ready to take off...COOL !

Pulling in place was packed and I felt a little intimidated by some fast guys already blasting up the A track. Started out on the C track...pretty mellow but a nice warmup for about 7-8 laps...still fun and good corner practice.

First time on A track I was a major SPODE...track was big and overwhelming to someone who doesn't get around to alot of different tracks. Went back to the basics and broke track into sections as well as watching what other guys were doing and strarted building up my confidence. By end of the day I jumped most jumps (no tripling anything) and had a blast doing laps on a nicely prepped track! Felt like I might been able to do 1-2 jumps based on speed I saw other people hitting them, but with my first time there and being by myself I thought twice (old age thing).

Take this post as a recommendation to check this place out! You know it was a good time when you still can relive the days events days afterwards!

JO - wish I coulda actually met you but it looked like you were taking advantage of the day too as I thought I saw you out there hauling on your couch...

BTW - had Mom's chicken n noodles as I heard it was tradition and they didn't disappoint...

Don't know when but (think Terminator voice) "I'll be back"

Welcome to the club, you cant beat B/C ! Its an addiction on top of the one we all already have to ride. The drive down is outstanding this time of year isnt it? One day on my drive past that same airport I saw what must have been a gathering of old planes, even a couple of bi planes. Pretty cool, then there is that place with all the old earth moving equipment and mini trains... interesting!

Back to B/C ..... what you have had a taste of is the conditions upon which the new OMA is basing their requirements on. Jason has brought the track experience up to that level at Malvern as well. Great things headed our way in Ohio next year for racing!

Thanks for making it down! You picked an excellent day, it was a below average turnout, and fairly slow on the big track. It gets way better than that! Track didnt even get that rough, so that was a good first experience for ya. Yea i was focused on trying to get back up to speed, i took too much time off. Im still running at about 5/8-3/4 speed of what Im capable of. Im not even jumping everything. sickening.

The back big double had me a little stressed ...looks of like it tosses u up and over but didn't have the kahunas to hit it in fourth gear hard...

That jump is pretty forgiving. You can test it a little at a time and not eat it. I hit it on the 125 wide open and its pretty sweet. I'm no jumper...so if I can do it...anyone can

I peaked up saturday, it was way easier than the last couple weeks. I had to let off. Before that I was pinned and preloading the suspension.

Wait a minute j.o....

YOU didn't hit everything on your OWN track? And some bike rider on a quad did? That ain't right! Hahahah you just made me feel good!

171, now your screwed. Hooked till the end. You will often wish you had the time to make the drive, but couldnt. Then you'll get on here and people will make you even more pissed u didn't go because of killer pics and good stories! Its rough!

Wait a minute j.o....

YOU didn't hit everything on your OWN track? And some bike rider on a quad did? That ain't right! Hahahah you just made me feel good!

171, now your screwed. Hooked till the end. You will often wish you had the time to make the drive, but couldnt. Then you'll get on here and people will make you even more pissed u didn't go because of killer pics and good stories! Its rough!

Now now, lets not get carried away here, i can jump everything, and have. Im just not back to 100%.

BTW, met your dad yesterday. Havent been in Kames for a very long time, nuch much cooler than i remember.

How fast would you say you have to go for that back double on a 450? I couldn't judge it right and ended up wimping out every time. The roller before it would throw me off too. How about the triple? Finish line?

I think I need to make an aerial map with notes on how fast to go for each jump at BC. I seem to forget everything I learned from the lap before :eek:

How fast would you say you have to go for that back double on a 450? I couldn't judge it right and ended up wimping out every time. The roller before it would throw me off too. How about the triple? Finish line?

I think I need to make an aerial map with notes on how fast to go for each jump at BC. I seem to forget everything I learned from the lap before :eek:

3rd gear on mine about 2/3 throttle to 3/4 depending on how much you lift or soak it up for the back double

The finish line is about 1/2 throttle maybe a lil more for me

My '12 YZ450 seems geared a little high also compared to some bikes

For that double, I would hammer the turn and over the roller, then as roll into the dip back it down to 3/4 throttle.
The triple and finishline, you need to figure those out on your own, they vary based on how fast the track surface is. Sometimes the triple is a pinned out deal for me, sometimes I gotta check up. Its all about how much the track pulls the power from you. I would talk to someone that has a similar bike and riding style, the day that your there.

Ok sounds like I'll give it 3/4 after the roller in third and see what happens. From what I remember over shooting that jump won't be too bad. For the triple I was barely rolling on second over it and starting to come up on the third hump. Maybe roll on third 1/2 to 3/4 throttle will do it.

Finish line can wait :D

Thanks

Careful. I think the triple is undergoing some changes. I plan on adding some landing. I dont think you should worry though, just be advised.

Now now, lets not get carried away here, i can jump everything, and have. Im just not back to 100%.

BTW, met your dad yesterday. Havent been in Kames for a very long time, nuch much cooler than i remember.

MY dad? lol.. How do you know it was MY dad?

Im sure you`ll get to know Kames a bit more now, for many reasons..

Here's my question. These jumps everyone says that are so huge.....where are they? :p

I think every jump on that track is safe. Even the one I broke my foot on. All the take-offs are great, they all have nice runs to them, and they flow really nice.

Even the triple, if you come up short on that thing, it isn't killing you. It's a nice forgiving landing...You might go through the entire stroke of your stock suspension but it isn't going make you come to a dead stop and flop over.

Some tracks you go to and feel sketchy on a jump even if you've done it 50 times....aka (the elevator at gatorback when it was still there.) Everytime I hit that thing all I felt was stomach-pitting-dread because it was so sketchy with the holes and deep ruts going up to the thing.

I think everything at the cliff is something you can get comfortable on......or is it all personal opinion? And I'm not a fast rider by any means, when it comes to opinion/riding.

MY dad? lol.. How do you know it was MY dad?

Im sure you`ll get to know Kames a bit more now, for many reasons..

Thats what I was told. And yes, your right about Kames.

@georgie - I would agree, we have really tried to water it down from what it was 5 years ago. I think its a good compromise.

Here's my question. These jumps everyone says that are so huge.....where are they? :p

I think every jump on that track is safe. Even the one I broke my foot on. All the take-offs are great, they all have nice runs to them, and they flow really nice.

Even the triple, if you come up short on that thing, it isn't killing you. It's a nice forgiving landing...You might go through the entire stroke of your stock suspension but it isn't going make you come to a dead stop and flop over.

Some tracks you go to and feel sketchy on a jump even if you've done it 50 times....aka (the elevator at gatorback when it was still there.) Everytime I hit that thing all I felt was stomach-pitting-dread because it was so sketchy with the holes and deep ruts going up to the thing.

I think everything at the cliff is something you can get comfortable on......or is it all personal opinion? And I'm not a fast rider by any means, when it comes to opinion/riding.

It wasn't the jumps were sketchy or anything just bigger and a little out of comfort level for first time there. The big double to me looked possible I just didn't feel comfortable hitting it hard with the 144 in 4th gear (my guess for gear I needed) my first time at a new track. It wasn't fun rolling it as after the face was a drop off and then the uphill part of the jump followed afterwards...

The triple table finish also wasn't sketchy just too big for first time there and once again to hit it on the 144 I woulda needed to be wound out...still fun to double though...

Also, the triple before heading into the back section seemed safe & do-able but once again, first time there I chose to double and come home in one piece, plus it gives something more to work at next time around...

What I liked the most was just the flow of the track...nice long lap times and a real "motocross" feel to it.

Take this for what is also....this was probably my 2nd ride in the last month and a half....so I was a little rusty and definately felt it the first couple days afterwards....:p

Back